The Official Movie Thread

There's actually no argument here, which is typical.
This sentence is a response to:
But he's (Bong) been and stays intensely critical , political and most of all Korean in all of his works.
This leads me to believe that you actually know next to nothing about Bong Joon Ho

Not going to write a diatribe demonstrating the complicated, sophisticated and insanely well executed ways that films like Mother, Memories demonstrate, when you seem to struggle to grasp the difference a film like Zodiac wants to be portrayed versus the former. He cites pacing, and maybe it's more significant as a non-American, since it's unknown how much this crime has permeated his life versus your average American, but I would argue the effectiveness of pacing only supports the film's argument, and Zodiac is not interested in this.

I wonder if this is how most view Memories, or maybe you guys, and that's the issue underlying here.

This sentence is a response to:

And my original post was in response to you thinking BJH is so egomaniacal as to be unable to admit the successes of another film, even an imperfect one.

Memories of Murder is a better film than Zodiac; if you go back, I never said nor suggested that it wasn't. My problem with your comment is that you seem to think a director would be incapable of admitting fondness for another director's film even if they secretly believe their own to be superior--especially someone as publicly humble and, by all appearances, intelligent as BJH.

Watching:

g.jpg

The start of this film is already fucked up.

Edit:
Wainds on Naked via RYM said:
he (Johnny) might be the most fascinating scumbag in the history of movies, and david thewlis deserves much of the credit for that; his performance is as singular as any recorded on film, and should be shown to harry potter fans across the world just for the fun of it.

:lol:

Last edited:
Going to throw this classic on later tonight

9066_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
fuck yeah. there’s nothing else like that shit.

is that really the best pull quote they could find for that poster? :lol:

Yeah, the ellipsis really undercuts any authority it might have.

:tickled: The original quote was probably "A brilliant idea turned into a complete mess of a movie."

Anyways I love that movie, Thewlis' character uses his words like medieval weapons of torture.