The Official Movie Thread

screen_shot_2017_05_05_at_32247_pm.png

Finally got around to watching this. After what, 14 years? Anyway, the 2006 direct-to-video cheese was a bit too much for me at first and having to hear that fucking awful Marilyn Manson song over the credits killed my buzz after the hilarious opening scene with Robert Englund. But it won me over again with the great monster played by Kane Hodder and the fucking killer gore effects. Might check out the sequels over the weekend.

hero_parasite-movie-review-2019.jpeg

Also watched Parasite over the weekend. I've been a fan of Bong Joon-ho since I first saw Memories of Murder over ten years ago and honestly, even though I also loved The Host and Mother as well (still haven't seen Snowpiercer or Okja), I never thought he'd top it for me. Parasite may just be his masterpiece, though. Just a pure fuckin' masterclass of cinema.

Reactions: CiG
The story of Parasite could be easily transposed into any Western country anyway.

Of course it could be, but the way the film was made would be highly irregular to come from say an American director. I can't really think of an example off the top of my head. I think the differences in Dunkirk/1917 vs. American-made war films are a recent example of this

I think a comparable film would be Ikiru. The theme and relation to Japanese society is central to it's greatness IMO

screen_shot_2017_05_05_at_32247_pm.png

Finally got around to watching this. After what, 14 years? Anyway, the 2006 direct-to-video cheese was a bit too much for me at first and having to hear that fucking awful Marilyn Manson song over the credits killed my buzz after the hilarious opening scene with Robert Englund. But it won me over again with the great monster played by Kane Hodder and the fucking killer gore effects. Might check out the sequels over the weekend.

The old school practical effects are definitely Hatchet's saving grace. Not that the rest of the film is terrible but very cheesy and not in a cool 80's Meatballs kinda way, more like a low budget American Pie with the cast and dumb acting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bourbon
I really need to check out Maniac Cop 2 and 3. Saw the first one way back in high school when I was obsessed with anything with Bruce Campbell in it because of Evil Dead. Solid ass movie.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
@CiG , report back when finished. Also chud is classic

Will do.

I really need to check out Maniac Cop 2 and 3. Saw the first one way back in high school when I was obsessed with anything with Bruce Campbell in it because of Evil Dead. Solid ass movie.

You ever see Intruder? Bruce only has a cameo in it but it fucking rules.

tumblr_ngfm617MPh1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

If you liked the first one then the sequels definitely should be seen

Bruce Campbell.......ever see moontrap? Has a big role, pretty awesome movie

Reactions: Bourbon and CiG
Will do.

You ever see Intruder? Bruce only has a cameo in it but it fucking rules.

I haven’t. I’ve always meant to watch it but never did. I know his buddy Scott Spiegel directed it. I’m surprised I didn’t, because when I say I was obsessed with all things surrounding Bruce Campbell, Sam Raimi, etc. back then I went all in. Even got bootleg DVDs of their super 8 films I ordered from Bruce Campbell’s buddy and a solid filmmaker in his own right, Josh Becker.

Then there is my prized possession from those days, meeting Bruce Campbell in 2005 and having him sign my Book of the Dead edition DVD:

a1KguOB_d.jpg

aODiSka.jpg

Damn that's fucking cool man! You should definitely see Intruder someday, great little slasher set in a supermarket. Anytime I watch it I get super nostalgic about working nightfill back in the day.

Hell yeah man. Ain’t got shit to do tonight so I might just throw it on.

@RadicalThrasher yeah I’ve seen Moontrap! Been a few years but it’s a good one.

@CiG , report back when finished. Also chud is classic

Just got done watching it, fucking ruled. I can see why it's your favourite, they took the first film with its gritty urban slasher elements and turned it into a crazy action movie with non-stop pacing. Also having Robert Davi play the lead was a great choice, love that guy in anything he's in.