The Official Movie Thread

You can't know something is over-hyped until you actually see it and judge whether the hype was warranted or not. Also you seem to watch a lot of stuff that is hugely popular with normies and kids, it's not like you're out there watching obscure arthouse films lmao you're watching Lego Batman.

You don't have to see something to know it's over hyped. 2 year media lead ups to movies. Constant media coverage. 20 forum pages of people praising a movie before it even comes out, then another 20 pages when it's released, all adds to the hype. That is hype and when I see shit like that I tend to turn off and ignore the movie. Others love the hype, some even seem to live for it and can't wait for their next bit. Each to their own.

No idea what a normie movie is but of course I watch kids movies, I do a lot of things with my kids including watching movies. Sometimes I have little to no interest in the movie but I sit there all the same, others imo are shitloads better than anything aimed at adults.

Np

62103_10_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG
I like it a lot. Thought it was very entertaining, much better than it's reputation. Better than the Perlman movies? No. Hard to top those. Thought it was very good, but not great

Definitely will be seeing that one. I heard this movie was actually supposed to be a sequel to Hellboy 2 and Perlman was supposed to return but he refused because Guillermo del Toro hadn't been offered to write/direct it, so they just decided to reboot it. Pretty sleazy by the execs, but at the same time this new one looks pretty violent(?) and like Birds of Prey I'll see any R-rated comic book movie on principle. :D

Watching:

iwy8kUY.jpg

Last edited:
That's not true. They race home because the Parks' camping trip is cancelled because of the flood. The maid's death is incidental, and has little to do with them returning home. The bodies are in the hidden basement, so what do they matter?
I assumed you meant "returned" in a permanent context since they clearly "return home" every day. Murder referred to the climax of the film, when they are finally "returned" to the slums.

You clearly said at one point that their ascent up the social ladder begins before they deceive people. That's an incorrect statement.
I've said before that since the family places highest of weight on reference rather than anything else, the deception to jump-start the family was from the friend, not the son. Once the son recruits his sister is when the film begins to encapsulate the greed theme.

The point is that the film doesn't show us that, and doesn't make their deception a moral dilemma. It's not about whether they should deceive the Parks; there's never any question about whether they should (only whether they can).
k so quit repeating your poor word choice? Forced is not correct and is used because of your bias. Yes I agree it's about "can", which is why I keep calling greed the prevailing and dominant theme.

Is it hypothetically possible that the Kims could have chosen not to deceive the Parks?
This is irrelevant. To argue that the film is about the greed inherent in a material/capitalist system, the underlying point must be that the there is a choice. You deny choice with forced.
If anything denies the Kims agency, it's not me--it's Parasite.
Parasite does literally the opposite of forced. There are no excuses in the film, only repercussions.

Are you saying that if it's just "Asian bullshit,"
You're not following your own argument. I said, from the beginning, the rock exists as a critique on Asian/Korean cultural beliefs that a rock can somehow improve your life's luck/fortune/whatever. You say no, it's hollow & is emblematic of the rise and fall of the family. You've then shifted from the hollow position, which is where this discussion started, to simply say "it's how the family perceives their financial windfall". Which has not been in contention

Do i need to repeat everything so you can follow along? You are ignoring the dominant korean aspect of the film because you want to frame Parasite as a capitalist film when it is in fact korean.