The Official Movie Thread

The First Teaser for 'Train to Busan' Sequel 'Peninsula' Steps Into a Zombie-Filled Wasteland.
Now, as promised for years, a sequel to Train to Busan is coming to screens — set four years after the first film. While just when it'll hit theatres hasn't been announced (which is completely understandable given that cinemas around the world are currently shuttered), the action-packed first teaser trailer for Train to Busan presents: Peninsula has just dropped for cinephiles looking for more pandemic-based viewing options.

This time around, former soldier Jung-seok (Gang Dong-won) is in the spotlight. With the Korean peninsula devastated by the outbreak, he has escaped overseas — but is given a secret mission to return to retrieve an object. Because that's the way these kinds of tales go, his trip back home throws up plenty of expected zombies, unexpected survivors and grim fights for survival in an abandoned, post-apocalyptic world. That said, with Yeon returning as the film's writer and director, it's unlikely that Peninsula is going to follow an easy formula.

interesting tagline, redeeming watch?

Solid film, not a masterpiece. Interesting subject matter, exploring a hypothetical economy wherein women's value is so wrapped up in their physical appearance that women tend to lose their jobs once they become middle-aged. Definitely a feminist film but subtler than most I would say.

It's on Netflix btw. I think you'd enjoy this @Einherjar86 in particular.

Reactions: rms
Np

12824_1_large.jpg

Alien3_poster.jpg

watched this for the first time in 10/15 years thanks to no country in the sci-fi thread.

Still loved it and surprised at how many things I remembered about it. Never knew this film got shit on so was interesting see that play out

51QfxsatioL._AC_.jpg

watched this white-washed crap too. pretty lame story and love the feminist overtones that decided that her history wasn't really that important :lol: chastain looked fucking great though

hqdefault.jpg

this was a pretty entertaining mainstream race flick. surprised this wasn't loved for the inter-sectionality aspect played with for the film.

Greek Book was middlebrow Oscar fodder--white guy teaches black guy how to be black.
definitely northern tinged race movie (hey, look at how nice we are in the north! is all to apparent here) but, this description makes me think one didn't watch the movie :lol:

and finally got around to this:

cayson.jpg

problems with these movies is when you demonstrate, quite clearly and as your overall point, that nothing is what it seems, then it kind of takes you out of the story :lol: pretty much the movie form of Anthony Jeselnik, not that hard to guess what the most emotion-less response can be when you know that's what the gag is.

Let's introduce a cast of characters within the first 20 and make the majority irrelevant to the plot :lol: Guess is this what happens when you make a bad Memento style film.

Reactions: CiG
hqdefault.jpg

this was a pretty entertaining mainstream race flick. surprised this wasn't loved for the inter-sectionality aspect played with for the film.

definitely northern tinged race movie (hey, look at how nice we are in the north! is all to apparent here) but, this description makes me think one didn't watch the movie :lol:

I watched it. It's a movie designed to make white people feel good about themselves. That's all.

Idk how you could actually think that seeing as the title is in reference to the book made.for black people so they don't get killed by whitey :lol:

Idk how you could actually think that seeing as the title is in reference to the book made.for black people so they don't get killed by whitey :lol:

Is the laugh emoji supposed to indicate that you think I didn't know what the title was in reference to, and that you find that amusing? Or is it just to connote confidence in something about which you know very little?

I taught the Negro Motorist Green Book this semester in my postwar American road narrative class. I paired it with this book by Matt Ruff, which is an infinitely better story than the Green Book film despite not being based on purportedly true events.

61vz6KncQkL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's a movie designed to make white people feel good about themselves.
Is the laugh emoji supposed to indicate that you think I didn't know what the title was in reference to

I laughed because your opinion of the film (make white people feel good) is directly contradicted by the focal point, the story telling and all events that happen in the film.

If you wanna change white people to the main character's family, friends, and non-southerners, OK, but white people are clearly the problem in the movie and there's no big "reflecting" moment for any character that could then be juxtaposed to the white populace at large.

which is an infinitely better story than the Green Book film despite not being based on purportedly true events.
i'm sure there are much better stories about the green book, this isn't really anything more than mainstream hollywood material. surprised they went with a less-talked-about event (green books) and also challenged the notion of class vs. race, and demonstrated intersectionality, well.

I laughed because your opinion of the film (make white people feel good) is directly contradicted by the focal point, the story telling and all events that happen in the film.

If you wanna change white people to the main character's family, friends, and non-southerners, OK, but white people are clearly the problem in the movie and there's no big "reflecting" moment for any character that could then be juxtaposed to the white populace at large.

White people are the problem in the film, 100%; but it's white people in 1962. This is a movie made for a twenty-first-century middlebrow white audience, who can shake their heads disapprovingly at all those pre-Civil Rights-era racists, and take comfort in knowing that "we're better than that."

Reactions: CiG