The Official Movie Thread

0520-Dune-Tout-Lede.jpg

First look at Denis Villeneuve's Dune

White people are the problem in the film, 100%; but it's white people in 1962. This is a movie made for a twenty-first-century middlebrow white audience, who can shake their heads disapprovingly at all those pre-Civil Rights-era racists, and take comfort in knowing that "we're better than that."
I guess I am surprised the movie was viewed this way. I don't see it doing a holier than thou comparison for time periods, but I would probably agree it does for those who have a "we are better than the south" racial perspective

I guess I am surprised the movie was viewed this way. I don't see it doing a holier than thou comparison for time periods, but I would probably agree it does for those who have a "we are better than the south" racial perspective

I don't think it's consciously doing a holier-than-thou comparison, I just think that's the function it served.

It could be a regional response as well; I have no idea how southern audiences received it. I saw the movie in an upper-middle class, largely conservative Michigan suburb, with my wife's very religious family. After the movie, her grandmother proclaimed how disgusted she was by the nasty language.

And I can tell you right now, there were two black people in the entire theater. While the rest of the audience laughed at Vallelonga's racist comments, they were staring deadpan at the screen. It was uncomfortable to watch them watch the movie.

Reactions: rms
Trying to remember what jokes those were. I definitely don't think it's a movie for black people, viewed it as an easy digestion for the green book phenomenon...but sounds like seeing it at the time it came out may have been a significant factor in the film

i did a bit of that once when there were these two bimbos in front of me at a screening of synecdoche new york expecting a zany comedy, it was fun watching the blood drain from their faces as they became aware of their own creeping mortality

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I thought he died years ago. For about 15 years every time I saw him in something new I was surprised to see him.
Loved some of the stuff he's done over the years.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher