The Official Movie Thread

you should watch the color wheel if you haven’t, that’s my favourite ross perry. listen up philip is good too.

Got 'em, definitely getting around to them sooner rather than later.

i used to like gone baby gone quite a bit but i haven’t seen it since it came out a billion years ago

I loved the build up, the settings and the characters, but the conclusion was definitely its weak point. Sad ending though, you just know nothing in that child's life is going to get much better.

Fucking productive weekend, watched a bunch of stuff today:

asfsadg.jpg

Katalin Varga - Peter Strickland's debut feature film from 2009, beautifully filmed in the Hungarian-speaking part of the Romanian region of Transylvania. Basic premise is "rape and revenge" but it's so much more than that. It has this looming feeling of cosmic horror, and I find it hard to reconcile when it was made because the whole thing reeks of the 1990's. It has a raw aesthetic.

Marshland-276450591-large.jpg

Marshland (aka La isla mínima) - Two detectives are sent to Spain's backwater deep south to investigate the brutal murders of some young women, in 1980 when the country is still getting over the Francoist dictatorship and its new found democracy. This wins on many levels, from a rich historical context, to an engrossing main plot, to it being well shot and looking authentically great as a period piece, to the casting, to the graphic details. Also I have to say this has big True Detective vibes, and I assume the director was inspired by the first season of the show.

xxx.jpg

Child of God - Some genuinely disgusting moments here, well shot, great soundtrack, insane performance from Scott Haze. I liked it, is it the best McCarthy adaption? No, but Franco did a damn good job and I could be wrong but I think this is his directorial debut. He's featured on the poster but he's only in it for like a few minutes at the very end of the movie. It's all Haze and he rules.

View attachment 25665

Child of God - Some genuinely disgusting moments here, well shot, great soundtrack, insane performance from Scott Haze. I liked it, is it the best McCarthy adaption? No, but Franco did a damn good job and I could be wrong but I think this is his directorial debut. He's featured on the poster but he's only in it for like a few minutes at the very end of the movie. It's all Haze and he rules.

Still haven't seen this, and I don't really want to. Partly it's because Child of God isn't McCarthy's best novel, and I don't really care to see a visualized rendering of that story. :D But I also think Franco's a little bitch who thinks he's an intellectual because he adapts McCarthy and Faulkner novels, and is buying his way through higher education (he's basically collecting degrees because, ya know, he's rich). He might be a decent director and actor (occasionally), but he's a tool.

Oh, and his "test" take on McCarthy's Blood Meridian is laughably bad.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
View attachment 25663
Katalin Varga - Peter Strickland's debut feature film from 2009, beautifully filmed in the Hungarian-speaking part of the Romanian region of Transylvania. Basic premise is "rape and revenge" but it's so much more than that. It has this looming feeling of cosmic horror, and I find it hard to reconcile when it was made because the whole thing reeks of the 1990's. It has a raw aesthetic.
There's a shocking number of people that are still unaware this movie even exists. Most just think he started with Berberian.

Reactions: CiG
Still haven't seen this, and I don't really want to. Partly it's because Child of God isn't McCarthy's best novel, and I don't really care to see a visualized rendering of that story. :D But I also think Franco's a little bitch who thinks he's an intellectual because he adapts McCarthy and Faulkner novels, and is buying his way through higher education (he's basically collecting degrees because, ya know, he's rich). He might be a decent director and actor (occasionally), but he's a tool.

Oh, and his "test" take on McCarthy's Blood Meridian is laughably bad.

8w2dv50g2tp31.jpg

Reactions: Einherjar86
Honestly I think it's pretty funny that a guy mostly known for making dumb stoner comedies and playing a villain in comic book movies is using his wealth to muscle his way into the artfag circles of the film industry, molesting sacred writers' material and everybody thinks he sucks. There's a certain kind of irony there, that he so desperately wants to be a fellow fart-huffer by making McCarthy adaptions but instead wins people like me because I'm amused by mentally handicapped hobos running around the woods talking to themselves, fucking corpses and shitting in full view of the camera and then wiping his asshole with sticks.

Tonight

60796_1_large.jpg

aka Brigade of Death

@CiG , are you versed in frenchie trash?

Report back, that poster art rules.

The copy i got my hands on is rough. Very dark and shitty picture quality, plus my tv upscaled it and probably made it look worse. Should have put it on an old tube tv, probably would have looked better. Not dubbed, so has subtitles and the PQ was so bad it was hard to read at times. But even with those problems this was fucking awesome. Similar to alot of the italian cop films that are trashy and exploitative but with the volume on violence cranked up to 11. Need to track down a better copy. If you can find it I'm sure you'll like it.

Sounds fucking awesome.

The day has come, have a copy on the way, region free english subtitles

TodesBrigade-3D002.jpg

Honestly I think it's pretty funny that a guy mostly known for making dumb stoner comedies and playing a villain in comic book movies is using his wealth to muscle his way into the artfag circles of the film industry, molesting sacred writers' material and everybody thinks he sucks. There's a certain kind of irony there, that he so desperately wants to be a fellow fart-huffer by making McCarthy adaptions but instead wins people like me because I'm amused by mentally handicapped hobos running around the woods talking to themselves, fucking corpses and shitting in full view of the camera and then wiping his asshole with sticks.

:lol: I vividly remember talking with a professor once about McCarthy. After expressing my love for Blood Meridian, he asked if I'd read Child of God (at that point, I hadn't) and said: "You like necrophilia?"

was reading some potrykus interviews:
"for COOKBOOK specifically, it was time to finally make my “EVIL DEAD by way of Jim Jarmusch” dream a reality. The 1926 FAUST was important, along with Entertaining Comics, and maybe UPSTREAM COLOR’s disjointed structure. Again, it’s an experiment. It’s the movie I needed to make, and the movie that most clearly resembles my original vision."

he's also cited alan clarke as his single biggest inspiration

Seemed like they tried to get a lot of things accurate . Became an instant favorite, up there with some of the other classic prison flicks. Solid wood
Yea it was definitely on point as far as i can tell. And yeah realism is important for me in films like this, which is why i prefer stuff like American Me and this one over the other fake prison movies. But yeah it ruled and is already up there for me too :kickass:

Reactions: RadicalThrasher