The Official Movie Thread

personal shopper (eligible for the 2016 list) uses a text conversation to drive a crucial horror/suspense scene, not sure if that counts though.

actually a more fitting 2016 movie would be nerve. less fb/twitter/insta than a version of twitch i suppose, but it’s more interesting and modern than it was given credit for IMO

Can't say I've seen many movies on the social media theme. Although the virtual world in Ready Player One was called a game, I liked that it resembled more of a social virtual world like Second Life. One RYM reviewer suggested watching the VRchat was a mistake video to see a more realistic virtual world, haha. But I reckon Ready Player One's recycled pop culture lands it in the ballpark of what that shit will look like in the future.

Good call. RP1 isnt a great movie but the premise of trading real life for a virtual world was mostly well handled.

“A four-hour-long nightmare comedy”: why Ari Aster can perfect cinema’s most misused genre.
Comedy horror. The phrase sends a chill down your spine for all the wrong reasons. Is there a messier, more imperfect genre in movie history? All those slapstick beheadings, camera-mugging zombies and surprise 18-wheelers suddenly appearing on an otherwise silent country road to crush the first kid to come dancing out of the cavern full of man-eating imps shouting ‘we made it!’. It’s a genre that, historically, sacrifices genuinely unsettling atmosphere and believable shocks in the name of vaguely amusing self-parody. Who could, or would want to, save it now?

Well, rumours are that Ari Aster might be having a crack. The acclaimed director of game-changing horror movies Hereditary and Midsommar recently described his next film as a “four hours long… nightmare comedy”. That sounds to us more like the sort of catalogue of traumatic/comedic misfortunes that befell Griffin Dunne in Martin Scorsese’s After Hours or John Cleese in Clockwise – particularly since Aster has said he’d likely return to horror after his film. But the word “nightmare” has naturally raised expectations that Aster is out to finally perfect the cinematic blend of terror and wit.

:yow:

51hrIkjFkLL._AC_.jpg

117973b1012128637e56bad25a68a1ef.jpg

First Herman Yau film I've seen since Ebola Syndrome. Good to know he's still clinically insane.

i don’t see anything wrong with the tarantino quote myself (a lot of directors hang around too long making shitty movies, i totally get wanting to retire in your prime), but ferrara is still making good movies as an old timer so he has the right to mock him over it. plus he’s hilarious