The Official Movie Thread

i guess the only ones i'm indifferent towards are the dead zone, a dangerous method and maps to the stars, the latter two seem to have grown on people over the years though so they probably deserve another shot.

Kinda feel the same about those 3 myself, not because they're bad but they just don't quite resonate. A Dangerous Method is one I need to watch again though.

Still yet to see Spider and M. Butterfly (and Fast Company but not sure how essential that one is).
When Maps came out I thought it to be the best of his since Spider. Since then, A History of Violence has taken the top spot for his post-eXistenZ work, though Maps is secure in a close second. I really love that movie. It's lethally fucking funny ("So how did you get AIDS, Cammi?") and it was refreshing to see an American actress (Moore) really go for it in a way you usually only see European actresses do these days. Wasikowska is great too and that look of her's with the gloves should become a fashion trend. Evan Bird steals it, though. That little shit is hilarious.

Spider is incredible. Fiennes is on par with Irons in Dead Ringers he's so good and he doesn't utter one word throughout the entire movie. It also looks how depression feels. Dear god is that movie dreary.

Last edited:
i haven't seen that one.
It's fine. Basically what you'd expect from a racing/action movie. I've only seen it twice. First was on what I assume was its original VHS release I won on eBay back when I was first getting into Cronenberg and not a lot of his shit was even out on DVD yet. Of course I got it and watched it again when Blue Underground put it out on DVD but haven't found the urge to go back since. It's basically the same thing where I'm a big Friedkin fan but I'm not in any hurry to watch Blue Chips anytime soon.

I'm much more fond of M. Butterfly, his other supposedly "atypical" movie which, when you think about certain things, it really isn't. It's not a stretch to think he was more than a bit interested in the gender bending and identity issues at play.

Watching

17490_1_large.jpg

Reactions: CiG