The Official Movie Thread

you must be talking about how he takes the monster out. Cause the part where Meg Foster gets knocked the fuck out is hilarious.

Oh yeah that part was great lmfao. I more meant the way Ernie Hudson was cheaply (and boringly) killed off right at the end, with the monster cheesing it up on the ocean surface. I guess I personally would have preferred a more ominous ending. Blowing it to bits was pretty funny I suppose, I dunno. Just me.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Watched some stuff last night and this afternoon:

c777b6c1-5588-4bbd-8bc6-05327a23a326_1.8e0330b6e4915505957e7b39bbede142.jpeg

Pushing Hands - Ang Lee's directorial debut. Different and better than I was expecting, a nice tale about clashing cultures, getting old, loneliness. Also quite funny at times. I have his second film The Wedding Banquet ready to watch at some point.

xcgxg.jpg

Hotel Artemis - Pulpy comic book kind of movie, good fun but nothing mindblowing. To me it felt like this exists in some kind of unofficial John Wick extended universe, but with less action until basically the final act. Charlie Day is great in Always Sunny but I feel like he's really been stinking up cinema since he started branching out, this one was no exception. Annoying shitty character and my only real complaint about the film.

Now I'm finally watching Animal Kingdom today:

MV5BMTQ2NjcwNjE4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDU2NDg1Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Great so far.

Good but kind of alienating. Easily the most experimental Herzog film I've seen so far, apparently all the actors filmed their scenes under hypnosis lmfao so everything is slightly offbeat. Cinematography is breathtaking though and an amazing soundtrack by Popol Voh.

Random question for you all - have there been any good movies made around the social media theme?

Came up in discussion with a mate the other day - such a ripe area but every film I can think of has sucked massive balls.

What about this gem of a quote?
Speaking to Premiere, Tarantino was asked about which film he thought was the best from the last ten years. “It’s The Social Network, hands down… It is number one because it’s the best, that’s all! It crushes all the competition,” said Tarantino.

Haha what?! I generally like Tarantino's tastes but that doesn't fit with his usual profile.

Anyways I already thought of Social Network but I actually think it's more of a meditation on power and greed - the insidiousness or ubiquitousness of social media wasn't really apparent during the early years of Facebook.

I am thinking more of something like the Black Mirror episode 'Nosedive'.

Reactions: CiG
Can't say I've seen many movies on the social media theme. Although the virtual world in Ready Player One was called a game, I liked that it resembled more of a social virtual world like Second Life. One RYM reviewer suggested watching the VRchat was a mistake video to see a more realistic virtual world, haha. But I reckon Ready Player One's recycled pop culture lands it in the ballpark of what that shit will look like in the future.

Ingrid Goes West was fun in a very vapid kind of way. Definitely not great though by any means, could have been way better if it was treated more darkly.