The Official Movie Thread

MV5BZDViMzBiNGMtZTIyNS00NzI4LWE3NDMtNmM1NDk0NzBlMWRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDU0NjM5._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Enjoyed this. Surprisingly bitter and nasty for Hollywood. Carey Mulligan is fantastic too.

MV5BZDViMzBiNGMtZTIyNS00NzI4LWE3NDMtNmM1NDk0NzBlMWRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA2MDU0NjM5._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Enjoyed this. Surprisingly bitter and nasty for Hollywood. Carey Mulligan is fantastic too.

Is the feminism of that movie too dumbed down? Wondered how cleanly that film would depict that thematically

Watched Little things..what another piece of garbage. Imagine being Jared Leto and trying to method act that character :lol: what a hilarious industry

Is the feminism of that movie too dumbed down? Wondered how cleanly that film would depict that thematically

No, I think it was quite effective at examining the borders of what consent is. It could be accused of going down the 'all men are rapists' path but aside from one obvious stereotypical jock who is needed for the plot, none of the guys are villianish - they've grown up, matured, faithfully married etc which makes the revenge aspects sufficiently uncomfortable.

Reactions: rms
I haven't seen as many new (as in; first time seeing them) movies lately as I was mostly rewatching stuff for my 2005 list, but I managed to check these out in-between doing that and repetitively jamming Panopticon and Abythic:

ddd.jpg

Cargo (2018) Nothing exactly mind-mindblowing here but another solid Netflix original; a pandemic post-apocalyptic film set in Australia with aboriginals being quite prominent. David Gulpilil's final role before he got too sick to keep acting too. I'm interested to see if the filmmakers explore this world they've created in another movie or maybe a series, because I think they did a pretty good job of making it feel lived in by having things already exist without much explanation (eg the government gives out aid kits with a watch that counts down from infection how many hours you have until you're fucked, a chart of the symptoms you'll experience, plus a device that makes suicide easier, which everybody just has in their possession already or how the aboriginals formed tribal patrols that hunt down and kill the infected all over the countryside etc) and it would be a shame if it remained contained to a single film. Incredibly sad too, I must say. Martin Freeman really impressed me.

Polar-200.jpg

Polar (2019) This one surprised me. Yes it's pretty mindless comic book-tier entertainment but to that point it was entertaining as fuck, and the violence seemed mostly pretty visceral and brutal. So props for that, it earned its 'splatter' secondary genre tag on RYM. Mads Mikkelsen rules as always, you could certainly slot this alongside films like John Wick. Shits all over Lords of Chaos.

MV5BMTYxMjk0NDg4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcyNjA5OTE@._V1_.jpg

Manchester by the Sea (2016) Kenneth Lonergan is so good at his craft. Every single scene and line serves a function and it's hard to see that as you're watching it, but by the end besides the emotional weight of it all, I'm left in awe of the way the full picture comes together and hits you right in the gut. One of those movies I love but I don't know when I'll want to watch it again. Intense. Also Casey is clearly the superior Affleck.

high-ground-poster.jpg

High Ground (2021) I loved this, definitely one of the better Australian westerns of recent memory (especially those concerning indigenous issues). The violence was incredibly matter-of-fact and gritty, in some ways similar to The Tracker. I also really liked the whole indigenous rebel guerrilla fighter angle, because I feel like too many films concerning aboriginals depict them as passive victims when we know in Australian history there were many examples of rebellious aboriginals who did raids on whites and the more we see it in cinema, the closer we get to a movie about Pemulwuy.

Hopefully Stephen Maxwell Johnson doesn't wait another 20 fucking years before he makes his next film!

bdfbdfb.jpg

Aniara (2019) This movie was dismal af. At the level of subtext I'm not really sure what I took away from it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing; the premise, the setting, the idea of being lost in space inside what is basically a gigantic shopping mall. In some ways it draws parallels with films like Dawn of the Dead just on a galactic scale.

The only new (or rather new to me anyway) movie I've seen recently was All My Life. It was okay, but if you saw the trailer for the movie you have pretty much seen the movie. The way the two leads worked with each other was really good but beyond that, it's not a movie you feel compelled to watch again.

MV5BNGJiMzBlY2ItZTRjNS00OWFiLWI4YmUtZjVlMmY4OWFhMTIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I haven't seen as many new (as in; first time seeing them) movies lately as I was mostly rewatching stuff for my 2005 list, but I managed to check these out in-between doing that and repetitively jamming Panopticon and Abythic:

View attachment 27842

Cargo (2018) Nothing exactly mind-mindblowing here but another solid Netflix original; a pandemic post-apocalyptic film set in Australia with aboriginals being quite prominent. David Gulpilil's final role before he got too sick to keep acting too. I'm interested to see if the filmmakers explore this world they've created in another movie or maybe a series, because I think they did a pretty good job of making it feel lived in by having things already exist without much explanation (eg the government gives out aid kits with a watch that counts down from infection how many hours you have until you're fucked, a chart of the symptoms you'll experience, plus a device that makes suicide easier, which everybody just has in their possession already or how the aboriginals formed tribal patrols that hunt down and kill the infected all over the countryside etc) and it would be a shame if it remained contained to a single film. Incredibly sad too, I must say. Martin Freeman really impressed me.

View attachment 27843

Polar (2019) This one surprised me. Yes it's pretty mindless comic book-tier entertainment but to that point it was entertaining as fuck, and the violence seemed mostly pretty visceral and brutal. So props for that, it earned its 'splatter' secondary genre tag on RYM. Mads Mikkelsen rules as always, you could certainly slot this alongside films like John Wick. Shits all over Lords of Chaos.

View attachment 27844

Manchester by the Sea (2016) Kenneth Lonergan is so good at his craft. Every single scene and line serves a function and it's hard to see that as you're watching it, but by the end besides the emotional weight of it all, I'm left in awe of the way the full picture comes together and hits you right in the gut. One of those movies I love but I don't know when I'll want to watch it again. Intense. Also Casey is clearly the superior Affleck.

View attachment 27845

High Ground (2021) I loved this, definitely one of the better Australian westerns of recent memory (especially those concerning indigenous issues). The violence was incredibly matter-of-fact and gritty, in some ways similar to The Tracker. I also really liked the whole indigenous rebel guerrilla fighter angle, because I feel like too many films concerning aboriginals depict them as passive victims when we know in Australian history there were many examples of rebellious aboriginals who did raids on whites and the more we see it in cinema, the closer we get to a movie about Pemulwuy.

Hopefully Stephen Maxwell Johnson doesn't wait another 20 fucking years before he makes his next film!

View attachment 27846

Aniara (2019) This movie was dismal af. At the level of subtext I'm not really sure what I took away from it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing; the premise, the setting, the idea of being lost in space inside what is basically a gigantic shopping mall. In some ways it draws parallels with films like Dawn of the Dead just on a galactic scale.

Thanks for this; Cargo, Polar, and Aniara are on my list. Been meaning to watch the latter for a while now, but haven’t been able to gear myself up for it. I’ve read the poem on which it’s based, and yeah—bleak shit.

Reactions: CiG
Well, yeah, hence my post about it.

Anyways, really enjoyed this one, reminded me of Parasite oddly enough, in how it pushes a fairly prosaic fish-out-of-water scenario to extremes and revels in fucking with the viewer all the way.
MV5BZDlkOGE4YTUtYWRlZS00YjFkLWE3NmUtNzNlNjdiZTk2NzdhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDY2MjcyOTQ@._V1_.jpg

i didn't like the last act but it made my top 20 of the year anyway, no regrets. so fucking fun.

i didn't like the last act but it made my top 20 of the year anyway, no regrets. so fucking fun.

Not sure what you didn't like about the last act but
I loved how they pulled the piss out of every martial arts 'death move' trope - Casey sticks his index finger in the bullet hole and proclaims to have punched through Sensei's head :tickled:.