The Official Movie Thread

a lot has been written in my letterboxd network about what a masterpiece that movie is. i kind of assumed i’d be in the mainstream camp given i didn’t like man of steel and don’t care for snyder in general, never got around to it though.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
e571414587e53559bdeba51ba1724445.jpg

Thought this was pretty good actually and wonder why it was received so poorly?

I regularly rewatch the whole nightmare scene. I'm interested to see this "ultimate edition" that comes out soon, which is supposed to have an extra 30 minutes of cut footage (the nightmare vision apparently goes for even longer and features the Joker briefly).

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I regularly rewatch the whole nightmare scene. I'm interested to see this "ultimate edition" that comes out soon, which is supposed to have an extra 30 minutes of cut footage (the nightmare vision apparently goes for even longer and features the Joker briefly).

I must be from the future because I watched the ultimate edition :p It was indeed 30 minutes longer but it didn't have the Joker in it. Is there an upcoming even ultimater version?

The nightmare scene is kind of weird because it's one of the best scenes in the movie but also completely incongruous with the rest of the movie. I don't know what they were going for with that.

a lot has been written in my letterboxd network about what a masterpiece that movie is. i kind of assumed i’d be in the mainstream camp given i didn’t like man of steel and don’t care for snyder in general, never got around to it though.

I didn't really like Man of Steel either. BvS was a lot better.

Some of these reviews are pretty nutty haha. I generally don't appreciate reading movies as allegories to the extent that these guys do; I feel like it always involves a lot of projection on the critics' part and also, post-9/11 themes in superhero movies isn't exactly virgin territory at this point :p My point is that my own analysis doesn't go a hell of a lot deeper than "wow batman sure is fashy in this one" and I still thought the film was pretty damn good.

EDIT: Actually this mmcc review - er, the third one from the top, since apparently there are several - is really good and not at all nonsense

Last edited:
I must be from the future because I watched the ultimate edition :p It was indeed 30 minutes longer but it didn't have the Joker in it. Is there an upcoming even ultimater version?

The nightmare scene is kind of weird because it's one of the best scenes in the movie but also completely incongruous with the rest of the movie. I don't know what they were going for with that.

My bad, I confused it with the new Justice League movie. I think Snyder's Justice League has a call-back to that nightmare scene by having it happen again but with the Joker. I can't even remember if I've watched the "ultimate edition" in that case haha but I guess I have. :loco:

About the nightmare scene, it's actually pretty important to the overall vision Snyder had for the DCEU. In it you see the omega symbol in the ground which refers to Darkseid (meaning the planet is now under his rule) and Batman is leading an insurgency with other humans against him, but gets tricked and ambushed by Parademons. This would tie the film into a larger narrative related to the planet Apokolips and its tyrannical ruler Darkseid which I assume was (or is?) the plan for the DCEU going forward. It seems like a clusterfuck at this point because DC can't get its shit together but that was the larger point of the nightmare (beyond the smaller point of fuelling Batman's desire to destroy Superman).

"wow batman sure is fashy in this one"

lol?

Park Chan-Wook to Direct New Mysteriously Horny Movie, and That's Great News.
Decision to Leave, written by Park and Jeong Seo-kyeong (his Handmaiden co-writer), concerns a police officer investigating the mountain murder of a man. His prime suspect? The dead man's wife. What will happen? Probably, luckily, a blending of labels and roles that results in an explosion of dangerous eroticism between these two characters, played by Park Hye-il (The Host) and Tang Wei (Lust, Caution). Other cast members include Lee Jung-hyun (Item), Go Kyung-pyo (Night of 7Years), and Park Yong-woo (My Scary Girl). The film, produced by Park's production company Moho Film and CJ Entertainment (Parasite), will begin principal photography this month...
Seems like The Brigands of Rattlecreek has either been delayed or cancelled. That sucks, but new PCW is exciting regardless.

The Raid director Gareth Evans is making new Netflix movie with Tom Hardy.
The Raid director Gareth Evans has signed an exclusive deal with Netflix, and his first movie for the streamer is set to star Tom Hardy. According to Deadline, the deal includes both directing and producing movies. Havoc, starring Hardy, will be the first Evans and Netflix collaboration. He's set to direct, write, and produce the movie, while Hardy will also co-produce.

Havoc will follow a detective in the aftermath of a drug deal that went bad, on the hunt through an illicit underworld for a politician's son in need of rescuing, while also investigating corruption in the city.

Deadline report that the deal has been in the works for a while, but Evans and Netflix wanted to ensure they had Hardy on board to star before making an announcement. This isn't Evans' first movie for Netflix – he also directed Apostle, starring Beauty and the Beast's Dan Stevens. Apostle follows a man attempting to rescue his sister, who has been kidnapped.

Neill Blomkamp's Secret Horror Film Is Entitled 'Demonic'.
It’s been revealed that Neill Blomkamp‘s newest secret horror movie will be released with the title Demonic.

Previous reports stated that Demonic was filmed with on-set COVID-19 protocols in British Columbia, Canada during Summer 2020, with its cast mainly comprised of Canadian actors. An official plot is yet to be released, but it will supposedly feature a “strong sci-fi and VFX component in keeping with Blomkamp’s previous three movies.” Joining Blomkamp are Deadpool editor Julian Clarke and Director of Photography Byron Kopman, and the movie is expected to be finished this Spring 2021.

Jared Leto and Darren Aronofsky to reunite on new film 20 years after ‘Requiem For A Dream’.
The pair are working on 'Adrift', a new aquatic thriller. Adrift will be based on a short story of the same name by Koji Suzuki, who wrote The Ring.

Per Flickering Myth, the film will be set in the sea, “where a fishing boat discovers an abandoned yacht with a strange distress call.

“A deckhand agrees to take lone control of it while it’s towed into port, but soon he discovers why the rest of his more experienced crew members call it a ‘Ghost Ship’”.

The project reportedly originated with Leto, who worked to secure the rights for 10 years before approaching Aronofsky to direct, and Jason Blum of Blumhouse Productions to produce.

Director Hirokazu Koreeda's Korean debut 'Broker' adds actor-singer IU.
Actor-singer IU is all set to star in Palm d’Or winning Japanese director Hirokazu Kore-eda’s Korean directorial debut.

The film is tentatively titled 'Broker'. Soompi confirmed the news about the development while quoting a source close to the production.

“It is true that IU will be starring in the film.” IU, whose real name is Lee Ji-eun, is well-known for starring in popular dramas like My Mister, Hotel del Luna, and The Producers.

Notably, Kore-eda’s acclaimed drama 'Shoplifters' won the director the Palm d’Or at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival.

'Broker' will also feature Parasite star Song Kang-ho, Kingdom star Bae Doona and Gang Dong-wan of Peninsula fame.

Broker is said to be a story about baby boxes, which are set up for people who are no longer able to provide for their babies to anonymously give them up.

Filming of 'Broker' is expected to commence this year.

BAFTA winning director Mark Jenkin talks about life after "Bait" and his new film "Enys Men".
He's best known for his sleeper hit Bait which won a BAFTA and went on to become the most successful Cornish film ever. Now Mark Jenkin has started pre-production on his follow-up, Enys Men, an ecosophical horror film set in 1973. Enys Men is Cornish for 'stone island' and the film is being funded by Film4, Jenkin’s biggest collaborator to date.

Jenkin: It’s a word that Denzil, my producer, used to describe it after he first read the script, and I’ve adopted it. Ecosophy is the philosophy of ecological harmony or equilibrium. It's a horror film about ecology I suppose.

The film is set in 1973 and it's about a woman living on an imagined island off the coast of Cornwall.

She's living alone on this island during the winter as a volunteer for the wildlife trust and she's observing a very rare flower that only grows in this one place.

She lives in the only habitable cottage, there's an abandoned old mineral mine that's surrounded by contaminated soil, which is where the flower grows, which may or may not be the reason why it grows there. She's there to observe the flower’s behaviour through the winter into spring.

The only other thing on the island is a standing stone at the highest point of the island, which gives it its name. She is very isolated and starts to think that the stone is slowly moving down the hillside towards her cottage.

It's about human intervention in the natural world and how very little things can knock things out of balance.

CL: All your feature films to date are in black and white, why did you decide to do Enys Men in colour?

Jenkin: It’s set in 1973, so I wanted it, at some level, to feel like it was made then.

It also relies on a certain colour code. It's about a flower that's a specific colour. Things need to be seen in the landscape and in the sea in a certain way that relies on colour.

In some ways it will be more conventional because it will be in colour, but there will be something going on that won't quite be right with it, some of that will be deliberate and some will be accidental in the shoot.

Post production will be quicker this time. I hand processed all of the film stock on Bait, frame by frame. This time, because it’s colour, the lab will be doing it.
This shit honestly sounds amazing. Can't wait for it to happen.

Joel Coen Shot ‘The Tragedy of Macbeth’ Entirely in Black and White.
It’s been nearly a year since anyone’s heard about “The Tragedy of Macbeth,” the adaptation of Shakespeare’s drama directed by Joel Coen (sans partner and brother Ethan) and starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand.

In a recent episode of cinematographer Roger Deakins’ podcast, Team Deakins, the Oscar winner and his wife and co-host, James, were joined by the Coens’ long-time costume designer Mary Zophres. She revealed at the end of the show that the film’s cinematographer, Bruno Delbonnel, had shot “Macbeth” entirely in black and white.

Zophres went on to explain that the process of doing the costumes this time was easier than the last time she’d worked with black and white — that being the 2001 Coen brothers crime drama “The Man Who Wasn’t There.” In this case, Zophres said she utilized the noir setting on her iPhone to approximate how the costumes would look devoid of color. Zophres has worked with the Coens on every one of their features going back to their 1996 feature “Fargo.”

Jacques Audiard (A Prophet, Rust and Bone) has a new one on the way too called Paris, 13th District, co-written by Celine Sciamma. A lesbian love story, which sounds rather familiar given Sciamma's last movie Portrait of a Girl on Fire.

Reactions: CiG
I'm not gonna go out on a limb to defend Climax, it has its flaws (in particular the ending is a bit anticlimactic - no pun intended!), but at least it's interesting and creative (which Noe always is). The characters are largely repellent but that's undoubtedly a deliberate directorial choice.

Agreed 100%. Some of the dance scenes are real 'lightning in a bottle' moments (largely improvised apparently) but Noe's contribution as director can't be understated - the dance scene filmed from the bird's eye perspective for example has a frenzied feel to it which perfectly foreshadows everything to come.

Reactions: CiG
Emma Stone & Willem Dafoe Will Star In Yorgos Lanthimos’ Postmodern Frankenstein-ish Tale ‘Poor Things’.
Well, it appears the rumors are true. Yorgos Lanthimos has found his next picture, and it will reunite him with “The Favorite” star Emma Stone. The film, “Poor Things” is an adaptation of the Alasdair Gray satirical novel for Searchlight Pictures and the U.K. Film4. “Poor Things” is a Frankenstein-esque Victorian tale of love, discovery, and scientific daring. The novel tells the incredible story of Belle Baxter, a young woman brought back to life by an eccentric but brilliant scientist.

wonder why it was received so poorly?
A)
The chunks of script that were clearly unistakably originally written for Christian Bale to be playing Batman (which actually almost happened until Christopher Nolan decided that he didn't want that to happen)

B)
The chunks of script that were clearly unistakably originally written for Brandon Routh to be playing Superman

If we had actually gotten to see Bale's Batman interacting with Routh's Superman, it would have built a DC-version of what Kevin Feige did with building the MCU

But DC really just can't get their shit together

If you look at only the moments that Angela Bassett was onscreen in the Green Lantern movie
You'll quickly notice that Amanda Waller's appearance in the Green Lantern movie was really just nothing more than a commercial for Amanda Waller to be appearing in the suicide squad movie

And Angela Bassett playing Amanda Waller in the suicide squad movie would have built a DC movie universe by simply having Amanda Waller talking to someone on the phone and the audience hears Angela Bassett saying the phrase "Hal Jordan is Dead"
This would have been the best way to get a better black character in the Justice league movie
With Angela Bassett saying"Hal Jordan is Dead" you've tied the movies together and you are then able to get John Stewart as the black guy in the Justice league movie instead of Cyborg

But
DC really just can't get their shit together

I just spent forever being dazzled by trying to read all of the craziness of the people having these crazy-length epiphany of society responses to a big-budget mainstream Blockbuster movie
I wonder if these pretentious douchebags have the same intensity of response to those movies that can take their social commentary much much further down the street because they're not tied down with pre-existing source material