The Official Movie Thread

Tonight

29778_1_large.jpg

@CiG if you like Hardware and haven't seen this, then i recommend checking it out

Reactions: CiG
Tonight

29778_1_large.jpg

@CiG if you like Hardware and haven't seen this, then i recommend checking it out

This is by the guy who directed Blade right? I think I've seen it way back when I lived with my old housemate who had a killer collection of VHS, but I don't remember anything about it. He and I briefly talked about it just the other week and I can't recall fuck all lmao. I love that poster.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
This is by the guy who directed Blade right? I think I've seen it way back when I lived with my old housemate who had a killer collection of VHS, but I don't remember anything about it. He and I briefly talked about it just the other week and I can't recall fuck all lmao. I love that poster.

I didn't know it was by the same guy that directed blade, but just checked and it is. Has the same dystopian bleak future vibe as Hardware. But Hardware relies more on atmosphere, Death Machine has more action. Both kind of off kilter killer robot flicks that kick ass.

I didn't know it was by the same guy that directed blade, but just checked and it is. Has the same dystopian bleak future vibe as Hardware. But Hardware relies more on atmosphere, Death Machine has more action. Both kind of off kilter killer robot flicks that kick ass.

Say no more. Hardware but more focused on action sounds sweet, I gotta track it down somehow.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Here's a bunch of first-timers that I've watched over the month:

MV5BMTU2MjI5MzMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk3ODQyNzM@._V1_.jpg

Knife + Heart (2018) Finally got to see this and it's fucking awesome. Utterly steeped in aesthetic masturbation but unlike most genre-worshiping films this didn't feel empty or cheap to me. The lead's journey through the events of the film genuinely felt like an emotional rollercoaster, and attention to detail seemed pretty spot on. Definitely felt like it was set in the early 80's just based on the other 80's neo-noir/underground/giallo/slasher films I've seen. Amazing soundtrack too and the use of colour is a visual feast. Bonus points for some depraved and creative murder methods.

What the fuck was up with the man with a bird claw hand though? Totally unexplained weirdness!

lkkjjhggd.jpg

The Last Shift (2020) Solid indie drama about an old guy about to retire from his job running the night shift of a chicken joint and how his world is turned upside down by his young rebellious replacement freshly out of jail. There's a lot of social messaging here, some subtler than others. Nothing to really write home about on that front, it's not particularly ideologically challenging but Jenkins is a joy to watch work (especially when he plays contemptable/pathetic characters like this one) and I dunno why but I enjoy stories set in worlds that are incredibly small in scale. The average person lives most of their life rarely ever leaving their 'hood let alone their city or state and we need to start telling more stories with this fact in mind.

MV5BMTczOTIxNDMxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk5OTg4NDM@._V1_.jpg

Thoroughbreds (2018) Definitely felt like a debut but not in the bad way, more that the ideas are interesting but don't quite hit the sweet spot (like the directors he's obviously influenced by) and so all you're left with is a mildly interesting and technically proficient film. I would say it's biggest flaw is that its main characters aren't as interesting as some of the side characters and so its valleys and peaks are quite stark. A director to keep an eye on though.

lf (1).jpg

Knightriders (1981) Right off the bat you can tell this was a labour of love for Romero. He made this for himself, haha. It's damn enjoyable though, especially if you like movies about subcultures that exist on the edges of society (particularly from the 60's like Psych-Out, The Wild Angels etc). Everybody in the huge cast kills it here and as goofy/campy as the concept seems it really does work pretty well. Ed Harris is so tense and amazing in particular, and the stunts are pretty crazy.

MV5BOGEyOGFkZDctZTJlMC00ZjAwLWJjMzYtZmVlZmQ3Yjg3NjExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ1NjgzOTA@._V1_.jpg

Hail Savini the Black Knight!

Beast-2018-movie-poster.jpg

Beast (2018) Amazingly manic performance by Jessie Buckley, but let's be real Johnny Flynn makes this movie. He dominates every scene with his mere presence. Don't want to say too much because it's a very twisty unravelling movie but yeah this was awesome. Recommended for anybody who enjoys psychological dramas and murder mysteries.

A buddy claims this is Buckley's best role to date and even though now I see why he thinks that, I'm still going with I'm Thinking of Ending Things.

ddeded.jpg

The Rider (2018) Saw that this came to Netflix so I watched it yesterday because I loved Chloé Zhao's Nomadland so damn much. I love her style, she definitely exists in that same realm of directors like Andrea Arnold, Sean Baker etc where you have a very obvious mixture of professional actors and amateurs/non-actors and the stories tend to take place in overlooked communities (as opposed to another movie set in LA/NYC etc). I still can't believe the lead Brady Jandreau isn't an actor and is a legit real life rodeo horse rider that Zhao met while filming at a ranch he worked at. His screen presence is intense. Also this film depicts some real shit man, really heavy shit.

Pretty fucking disappointed that Zhao seems to be moving into mainstream territory, with her next movie being Marvel's Eternals. :/

Jordan Peele’s New Horror Movie Adds Oscar Nominee Steven Yeun.
Keke Palmer (everyone’s favorite fake sister) has already signed on to the upcoming Universal project, and two-time Oscar nominee Daniel Kaluuya is reportedly in negotiations to star as well. While Peele has a history with horror (hello, Get Out and Us), no information on the genre or plot of this next movie has yet been shared. Peele will write and direct the film in addition to co-producing with Ian Cooper from their Monkeypaw Productions company. The project is currently set for a summer release on July 22, 2022.

p9568543_p_v10_aw.jpg

This was a terrible movie, but god damn I had a good time watching this drunk with friends. Probably shouldn't be seen any other way.

MV5BZjUxMTFhYTQtNmRlOS00MGI1LWFlNDItOTIwNmZjNmVkYjk3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE1MzI2NzIz._V1_UY1200_CR91,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

A homeless teen signs up for a sleep monitoring study in order to have a bed each night but finds herself shaken by increasingly disturbing nightmares. This ends up being more Dick-ian paranoiac sci-fi than horror though (Dick is even referenced in the movie, just in case we didn't get it). Some cool concepts and an austere mood which reminds me of the recent Possessor but lots of problems with execution. The dream sequences are repetitive and not scary enough, pacing leaves a lot to be desired and there's an unnecessary romance shoe-horned in. The ending is unexpected but doesn't gel.

lex's reveal on the helipad is the joker killing maggie gyllenhaal in the dark knight

You're pointing out one superficially similar scene as evidence that the entire premise of the two movies is the same? Definitely worth waiting 2½ weeks for this nugget of wisdom.

You're pointing out one superficially similar scene as evidence that the entire premise of the two movies is the same? Definitely worth waiting 2½ weeks for this nugget of wisdom.

It's the entire premise driving the artificially made conflict in the very stupid movie...very sorry you don't understand that?

MV5BZmYzMzU4NjctNDI0Mi00MGExLWI3ZDQtYzQzYThmYzc2ZmNjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

Definitely the best of the Legendary Godzilla movies in terms of monster fights and destruction. Mostly because Adam Wingard let the fights just play out in all their big, dumb satisfying glory. The human side of things was stupid but inoffensive. Not a great movie but it pretty much gave me all I want from a kaiju flick.

I recently rewatched Paul Anderson's Mortal Kombat to see if it was as crap as I remembered... and yes it was. Such sterile wholesome violence for a movie based on that videogame.

Anyway first reviews for the new MK movie are in, and it seems they've fixed that particular problem at least.
Mortal Kombat manages to be a much more faithful adaptation than the first film, by taking fatalities to the extreme on-screen and without fear of classification for an adult audience.

Reactions: zerostatic