The Official Movie Thread

You can call it that if you wish. "Comic book movie" usually refers to a movie based on a comic book, which Glass isn't in any capacity. But it is a movie about comics. Regardless of how you define it, surely you would agree it's a far cry from the Marvel/DC glut...?
oh I might go so far as saying Unbreakable is the best comic book movie ever. I can't really think of anything as good, but the genre had some real hope. Even looking back at how much better Blade is than anything coming out today is hilarious

I think it's overstated. Since non-trad companies like Netflix and Amazon got into the filmmaking game there have been plenty of great films created. The ratio of junk to gems feels the same it has always been. A lot of dogshit was released in the 80's, don't let nostalgia blind you to that.
just saying, who's got a nice list of movies produced by Netflix types that are going to stand the test of time? I see Beast of no Nation made Criterion Collection...and I wouldn't call that movie great

oh I might go so far as saying Unbreakable is the best comic book movie ever. . Even looking back at how much better Blade is than anything coming out today is hilarious
yes
Unbreakable was awesome
Unbreakable being so awesome is kinda what pisses me off about Glass
why even bother making a sequel to an awesome movie if your sequel is gonna suck so bad

even looking at Blade
the sequels were more of a consistent quality with the original

i was already a Superhero dork before Unbreakable,
and so for me part of what made it awesome was the fact that it was based on nothing

before Unbreakable
you had some movies based on pre-existing superheros
the ninja turtles
the rocketeer
the Shadow
Judge Dredd
Mortal Kombat
and
the Phantom

Unbreakable was not just merely better than these
it was based on nothing!!
which was amazing at the time
that the writer/director could make a movie that's clearly a superhero movie,
and make it from scratch

and even though Split is always catogorized as "horror"
it works as a superhero genre movie
when you re-watch the movie already knowing that it's the same movie universe as Unbreakable

Unbreakable shows a seemingly sane guy get superpowers
Split shows us what happens when a clearly bat-shit-crazy guy gets superpowers

Glass was just a horribly made abomination

51hBn1qK6-L._AC_.jpg

This sucked. Took me two days to get through because it's so fucking ugly I couldn't stand to look at it for a full 90 minutes. The monologue was the only good part of the movie.

51hBn1qK6-L._AC_.jpg

This sucked. Took me two days to get through because it's so fucking ugly I couldn't stand to look at it for a full 90 minutes. The monologue was the only good part of the movie.
the picture somehow looks like Bryan Cranston :lol:
also
is this movie some sort of documentary??

Even looking back at how much better Blade is than anything coming out today is hilarious

Amen.

just saying, who's got a nice list of movies produced by Netflix types that are going to stand the test of time? I see Beast of no Nation made Criterion Collection...and I wouldn't call that movie great

Well it depends on a lot of things, a "great film" is a very subjective label. I'm not saying Netflix are overflowing with original masterpieces but there are certainly movies I like enough to buy physical copies of whenever they come out and have returned to a few times since they were released. Hold the Dark, Roma, I'm Thinking of Ending Things, The 40-Year-Old Version, just to name a few.

Criterion Collection took on Roma which I think is well deserved.

Reactions: rms
will the streaming services eventually replace television??
absolutely
will the streaming services replace movie theaters??
right before COVID shut down movie theaterss, i would have said
"no way in hell"
and now that all those COVID-delayed movies are about to be released,
can we go back to thinking that movie theaters will be around forever??

Thumbs up for A Quiet Place 2. Some questionable plot directions but all in all, good to see 28 Days Later influence creep in.

They filmed some of the scenes for this in the town where my brother and his family live. When you see all the shit go down on that small town street with all the shops and whatnot, it was Main Street in Akron, NY.

Looking forward to watching.

I watched Army If The Dead the other night. As far as switch your brain off while zombies bite the dust I thought it was okay. Not overly ground breaking or special and none of the acting was that great but who watches zombie movies for the acting..or the story line.

Did you guys like the first one?

Didn't think it was anything special, fine thriller... but was a big deal to have it filmed in our shitty little home town :lol: I gotta see the first one again but might like this one more.
Yeah my mom lives about 5 minutes from there. Grand island bridge was used too
and I went through town when they had the set still up. That was cool, too
I watched Army If The Dead the other night. As far as switch your brain off while zombies bite the dust I thought it was okay. Not overly ground breaking or special and none of the acting was that great but who watches zombie movies for the acting..or the story line.
man I tried with this. And it's like, yeah, I don't want to watch an action flick for story, or character development...but why the fuck do they spend so much airtime going over all that bullshit? Kids today seeing the wackest action movies. No wonder they're lame

Reactions: CiG
Fuck yeah, because zombie movies always have great character development and story lines.
The only thing that makes the acting and stories better in zombie movies is adding big fuck, dumb arse wrestlers to the cast. Batista ought to win an Osar for Army Of The Dead.

Reactions: rms
but who watches zombie movies for the acting..or the story line.
Fuck yeah, because zombie movies always have great character development and story lines.

Hey, a man can dream. Compare that movie to Romero's classics or recent stuff like The Battery. Zombie movies don't have to be dumb as fuck. :cry:

Didn't think it was anything special, fine thriller... but was a big deal to have it filmed in our shitty little home town :lol: I gotta see the first one again but might like this one more.

I still haven't seen it, knowing you guys like the sequel helps with motivation haha.

Hey, a man can dream. Compare that movie to Romero's classics or recent stuff like The Battery. Zombie movies don't have to be dumb as fuck. :cry:

True, the likes of Shawn Of The Dead aren't dumb as fuck although they probably aren't ever going to be considered classics either.

Snyder is a hack though. He took the aesthetics of Ocean's Eleven and basic vampire lore then smeared it all over a zombie script with the plastic action of the Marvel movies. Then he added the Snyder touch by making it an hour longer than it needed to be.

True, the likes of Shawn Of The Dead aren't dumb as fuck although they probably aren't ever going to be considered classics either.

Well, I'd call it a comedy classic at this point, but I get what you mean.

There is reports Snyder made multiple fuck ups including at one point using a dodgy camera that dropped pixels and it wasn't caught in the editing. I didn't notice because my brain was off but that's a pretty lame fuck up for professionals to make.

After I watched Army Of the Dead the other night I caught the end of Cockney's Vs Zombies. That was stupidly funny too, but not as good as Shawn Of The Dead.

It was a different kind of stupid which gave me a 'few' laughs. The idea that body shots with high powered weapons was the best way to kill zombies and that one swearing old man was smarter than a bunch of millennial fuck ups worked reasonably well. But it was definitely lacking in the script department. The below average blood splatter and gore was mildly amusing too.

I suppose at least Snyder knew it was better to shoot zombies in the head, so much so he even gives one guy a metal hat.