The Official Movie Thread

Anyone got any recommendations for Charlie Sheen movies from the 80s and 90s? Already seen Beyond the Law and Wraith.
Men At Work
Hot Shots
The Rookie

Red Dawn and The Boys Next Door are mandatory.

Gotta hardcore 2nd Men At Work and The Rookie. Also stuff like Navy SEALs, Young Guns, The Arrival, No Man's Land are all fun.

Reactions: mutantllama
oxygen_0.jpg

Really well written sci-fi. @Einherjar86 will like this for sure.
Watched this as a friend was raving about it. Thought it was alright, though a couple of goofs and odd choices of plot devices. I just kinda wished it was more complex.

A virus becoming a more difficult problem to solve than cryonics... maybe it's true, this pandemic does seem to be dragging on. :D

I saw Wrath Of Man the other day.

This is the first movie released in 2021 that I've seen. I saw it at home not in the theater and for that I'm kind of glad. Jason Statham plays a man working as a guard for a cash transport business. Tight lipped and very controlled, he's just a guy going about his job. But as Wrath of Man unfurls, the story behind why he's working that job is revealed. And then it is easy to see that this is pretty much a revenge thriller as Statham's character is trying to find people who killed someone he was close to.

But I don't know why this was seen to be some kind of big deal movie. Sure Statham can carry a B-level action movie, much like Gerard Butler but this movie has been made so many times that even that ability seems wasted here.

And will someone please explain to me why every time Guy Ritchie directs a movie, film fans seem to get sexually aroused at the mention of his name? This is a by the numbers movie/script that had me wondering what the big deal was? I mean, I like movies with a high body count but there wasn't a single original idea in every phase of execution (no pun intended) for this movie.

Wrath of Man ends up being a movie with lots of guns, bullets, blood and death as one man hunts for revenge. But whatever personality Statham has show in his appearances in the Fast and Furious franchise (or The Transporter franchise for that matter) is buried so deep that you almost forget the guy has a personality to begin with. You can watch it once and realize that not only will you never have to sit through it again...you probably have seen this movie about 50 times before, just with other actors in the lead role.

I gave this one a 5 out of 10 rating on IMDB.

But whatever personality Statham has show in his appearances in the Fast and Furious franchise (or The Transporter franchise for that matter) is buried so deep that you almost forget the guy has a personality to begin with.

Your standard for Statham's on-screen personality is Fast and Furious?

Your review makes me want to see it even more now, I crave more mainstream mindlessly violent action cinema. Asia is leaving everybody else in the dust these days.

Duke Johnson Follows ‘Anomalisa’ with Neon’s ‘The Actor,’ a 1950s Film Noir Starring Ryan Gosling.
Charlie Kaufman is executive-producing the film noir about a man stranded in 1950s Ohio after an attack.

Here’s the synopsis from Neon: “Stranded in 1950s Ohio after a brutal attack, actor Paul Cole (Gosling), suffering from severe memory loss, struggles to find his way back to his life in New York and reclaim what he has lost. ‘The Actor’ follows a thrilling journey we must all make, to find home, to find love and ultimately to find ourselves.”

This will mark Duke Johnson’s first solo feature film directing credit. He most recently served as a supervising animation director for “Cosmos: Possible Worlds,” and collaborated with his “Anomalisa” co-director Charlie Kaufman as a producer of animation on “I’m Thinking of Ending Things,” which premiered on Netflix back in September. “Anomalisa” earned Duke Johnson, Charlie Kaufman, and Rosa Tran an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Feature Film in 2016 after premiering to raves at the Telluride, Venice, and Toronto film festivals.

Edit: Peter Strickland's 'Flux Gourmet,' Starring Gwendoline Christie and Asa Butterfield, Wraps Production.
In a provided statement, Strickland said that “Flux Gourmet came about through a personal frustration with how alimentary disorders or food allergies have been comically portrayed in some films, and without wanting to embark on a finger-wagging mission, I wanted to write something devoted to the disruptions of the stomach whilst attempting to maintain a degree of dignity to deeply private and embarrassing symptoms." It would seem that Strickland wants to portray a more realistic side of food allergies and the quirks that accompany them.

Last edited:
A virus becoming a more difficult problem to solve than cryonics... maybe it's true, this pandemic does seem to be dragging on. :D

lol

Finally caught The Empty Man on HBO. It was no masterpiece, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Took itself too seriously overall, but it was a nice combo of various genre tropes: urban legend, detective story, psychological horror, and cosmic horror rolled into one chunky narrative (at 2:15, this is on the longer side for a horror flick).

I definitely picked up on some In the Mouth of Madness vibes, which I appreciated; but The Empty Man wasn't as much fun as Carpenter's film, and it's ruthlessly bleak at times. The philosophical scaffolding might be eye-rolly for some viewers, but I was okay with it.

Although inconsistent, certain sequences and shots were really awesome, and created an eerie cinematic atmosphere. Some of the scare tactics were also genuinely thrilling and unsettling.

The scene at the abandoned camp in particular was... really something. That scene reminded me of The Endless at times--another really good cosmic horror flick.

The-Empty-man-what-to-love-1024x568.jpg

Your standard for Statham's on-screen personality is Fast and Furious?

Your review makes me want to see it even more now, I crave more mainstream mindlessly violent action cinema. Asia is leaving everybody else in the dust these days.

I also included The Transporter series too. (Throw in The Meg as well). I'm not talking about how good the movies were or weren't. I just mean that he seemed ALIVE in the movies rather than in Wrath of Man where a wax figure would've shown more life than he did.

Seeing a lot of talk right now about who will replace Daniel Craig as Bond once he's done. I don't think the next actor should be black or female, he should be fuckin' Indian. Naveen Andrews or something.

Although it's hard to disagree with Idris Elba in the role.

Nah, he should be a high and mighty, plum up his arse Pommy just as the role deserves!

The Bond franchise is so stale at this point, I don't mind if they radically reimagine the character with Craig's successor. As long as it's an inspired take on the character that has more going for it than just minority representation.

Reactions: CiG
E13eKQeVIAMHiCW.jpg

Finally saw this and liked it a lot. After Rebecca it's good to see Wheatley going in a better direction, even if I agree with Ein that it was a bit choppy. Reece Shearsmith fucking rules and man they really put Joel Fry's character through a gauntlet. All in all a solid tripped out violent folk horror that gives me hope for Wheatley again.

I loved the idea of the forest creating a hallucinogenic mushroom spore fog around the camp so nobody could leave. This is the kind of Wheatley madness I'm into, tapping into A Field in England's craziness a bit here. The whole thing almost felt like a COVID-era reimagining of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Reactions: Einherjar86