The Official Movie Thread

Anyone going to be watching this? The trailer looks good, plus Tony Todd has come back for it. The trailer though, did get a lot of heat. candyman_poster_1.jpg

i still really like gotg part 2 but yeah that describes my usual experience with james gunn going all the way back to super (which is still worth watching for kevin bacon, just to bring this page full circle).

I need to rewatch those Guardians movies. I like Slither and Super a lot though and by no means did I hate The Suicide Squad. The comedy was mostly shit and it was overly long but it was still pretty entertaining.

I quite like Super too, it's genuinely funny but also far bleaker than Gunn's other stuff - there is a real sense of desperation and hopelessness in the two main characters.

I don't like the GOTG series at all and Suicide Squad felt like a carbon copy, a mishmash of forgettably bland heroes with a talking animal thrown in for Jar Jar Binks effect.

Reactions: CiG
Unless people I know with opinions I trust see it and like it, probably won't waste my time honestly.

My reaction too. I really love the original, everything from the Phillip Glass soundtrack to the filthy ghettoised settings. I don't want it to be tainted by a crappy reboot. And the themes of race and class were handled really well, so kinda concerned to see Jordan Peele's name associated with it, I feel like these concepts are going to be much clunkier now.

been a long time since i saw super but i wrote this at the time:
way less insane/committed than OBSERVE & REPORT, the definitive exposé of superhero fascism, insecurity and sociopathy post-TAXI DRIVER. the humor often exists to soften blows or childishly provoke (hurr hurr butt rape jokes never get old), and while i like page the script she's working with is so glib and lame (same goes for moretz in KICK ASS, an even more frustrating film for similar reasons). best thing about this is st. kev, whose line deliveries made me lol a bunch. bacon knows how to ham.

gotg:
i suppose you could say that quill is the faux-rebellious capitalist scoundrel who discovers his inner revolutionary whereas gunn is the rebel in corporate garb struggling to remember he's wearing a disguise. it doesn't matter, the result is forever the same; thanos may lose a few battles, but he always comes out of the war unscathed.

gotg 2:
this got to me, not gonna lie. the messy dysfunctional family dynamic derived from secret and shared pain is why i watch these movies, not the hip nostalgia. love how, e.g., quill uses the smallness of rocket and baby groot in more or less the same way yondu once used quill. it’s a surprise to find that kind of nuanced writing in a marvel movie, evoking the inescapable cycles in which these characters are trapped.

it’s possible what i later saw in gotg2 was present in super and i missed it or wasn’t in the mood, i might revisit it.

I couldn't grasp your enthusiasm for Observe and Report but maybe the last time I watched it I wasn't in the right state of mind. Everything you've said about it makes me feel like I missed something when I saw it.

Speaking of Jody Hill, I just realized he's directing an episode of the upcoming Peacemaker series.

Finally finished watching Aronofsky's "Noah", after a a long gap. I enjoyed it. As far as biblical films go, I think Aronofsky got the right balance and added his own spin to it. Before this, I watched the 1972 Michael Winner film "The Mechanic". I've got to say, this film was way more intelligent, introspective and philosophical, than I reckon people give it credit for. One of Charles Bronson's strongest performances. The scene where he takes his protege through the museum of murderous and notorious historical figures, and explains the nuances of killing and types of killers was a powerful addition to the film.

Black Widow was only slightly better than The Suicide Squad. I had relatively high hopes because Black Widow is one of the few MCU characters I enjoy, but they waited too long to make the movie I think. Oh well.

David Harbour was awesome as the Red Guardian though, I'd love to see more of that character. For those that don't know, Red Guardian was the Soviet Union's counterpart to Captain America.

Reactions: AbelTim
Just watched Dan Gilroy's second feature as director "Roman J.Israel, Esq." A very disappointing follow up to his amazing "Nightcrawler". The story premise of a dedicated defense attorney portrayed by Denzel Washington who is tempted by the poison fruit of success and money has promise, but Gilroy's poor character exploration or lack of absolutely torpedoes the film. Washington is good but is never amazing due to the lacklustre script he has to work with. We see Roman torn between two worlds and it plays out, but without any real depth. Colin Farrell and love interest Carmen Ejogo are wasted. This has really bummed me out! I hope his next feature "Velvet Buzzsaw" redeems him.

Gilroy has redeemed himself to me with his most recent film "Velvet Buzzsaw". A horror satire of the art world, Gilroy has constructed something fairly unique. Returning talent Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo are solid in their performances. I think the real showstopper in the film is Brit actress Zawe Ashton as gallery assistant Josephina. The character's descent into pure vanity, selfishness and shallowness is perfectly grasped by Ashton and the result is a very good performance. Without giving too much away plot wise, Gilroy has formulated a motley crew of art purveyors who discover an untouched artists's work and bare the consequences. As stated by another reviewer on RYM, Gilroy may have had more crazier plans for the script and Netflix reigned it in for commercial reasons. I have a feeling this may have happened.

Going on a Andrew Dominik journey soon. I've watched all three of hims previously, and considering he has a new Marilyn Monroe biographical film in the works, I felt the need to revisit all of his previous films. MV5BODk3MDg2NDk5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjcxMjMzOA@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I chose this alternative poster for The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford, as apparently Criterion have refused to do release of the film.
d3d4f720910db3eac265af23762a2caf.jpg

300b87efe55f1549291524e4e099b4d9.jpg

Attachments

• 300b87efe55f1549291524e4e099b4d9.jpg
    300b87efe55f1549291524e4e099b4d9.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 2
is that monroe flick finally coming out then? it's been "in the works" for like ten years. dunno what to expect from it, love monroe but don't typically like biopics, love jesse james but did not like killing them softly, still need to see chopper.

Blonde got a NC-17 rating causing Netflix to pull it from the Venice Film Festival and push it to 2022, now Dominik and Netflix are fighting over the final cut.
Just looked this up. Hopefully, Dominik will stick to his guns 100% to the end and release his cut one way or another.

Last edited:
his whole career has just been a nightmare. killing them softly was already his way of throwing a hissyfit over the money people constantly screwing him over.

his whole career has just been a nightmare. killing them softly was already his way of throwing a hissyfit over the money people constantly screwing him over.
I've always had a love of director's that battle the studios over their visions. Sam Peckinpah is one of most notorious of this bunch.