The Official Movie Thread

I re-watched Chopper last night. What a knock out performance from Eric Bana! It's a pretty quick, straight to the point film, but one that doesn't sanitize what Mark Brandon Read was all about. From what I've read about him he was a bull shit artist who embellished and exaggerated his involvement in crime. This was a great directorial debut from Andrew Dominik.
chopper-eric-bana-pointing-gun-to-his-head1.jpg

Also Justin Kurzel's directorial debut Snowtown is another great Aussie film. One of the best true crime films I have ever seen. I cannot wait to see his latest film Nitram.
MV5BMTYyNzAwOTE1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDE1Nzg4NA@@._V1_.jpg

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/out-of-the-...TFH8j9e5wesS5cXlvsgEbATYWEVYx7ysObQtjF5x_DO1U

Plus Dennis Hooper's film Out of the Blue is getting a blu ray release!

Last edited:
Going to give the extended cut a go tonight...

jPuKJcd.jpg

I saw Wrath Of Man the other day.

This is the first movie released in 2021 that I've seen. I saw it at home not in the theater and for that I'm kind of glad. Jason Statham plays a man working as a guard for a cash transport business. Tight lipped and very controlled, he's just a guy going about his job. But as Wrath of Man unfurls, the story behind why he's working that job is revealed. And then it is easy to see that this is pretty much a revenge thriller as Statham's character is trying to find people who killed someone he was close to.

But I don't know why this was seen to be some kind of big deal movie. Sure Statham can carry a B-level action movie, much like Gerard Butler but this movie has been made so many times that even that ability seems wasted here.

And will someone please explain to me why every time Guy Ritchie directs a movie, film fans seem to get sexually aroused at the mention of his name? This is a by the numbers movie/script that had me wondering what the big deal was? I mean, I like movies with a high body count but there wasn't a single original idea in every phase of execution (no pun intended) for this movie.

Wrath of Man ends up being a movie with lots of guns, bullets, blood and death as one man hunts for revenge. But whatever personality Statham has show in his appearances in the Fast and Furious franchise (or The Transporter franchise for that matter) is buried so deep that you almost forget the guy has a personality to begin with. You can watch it once and realize that not only will you never have to sit through it again...you probably have seen this movie about 50 times before, just with other actors in the lead role.

I gave this one a 5 out of 10 rating on IMDB.

Saw this one myself and couldn't disagree more. Probably my favourite Guy Ritchie movie since Snatch. It didn't even feel much like a Guy Ritchie movie other than the cast featuring a few of his go-to guys (Statham, Eddie Marsan). It has a much more brooding tone than usual with a lot of expansive shots almost reminiscent of Michael Mann. Honestly kinda reminded me of Den of Thieves. Some of the filming techniques felt a bit weird though (eg random zoom-ins and zoom-outs for no reason).

It's a shame that The Gentlemen and Wrath of Man couldn't have been merged into one project somehow, because what one lacks the other has and vice-versa. The Gentlemen had the colourful dialogue, better fleshed out characters and the Guy Ritchie signature style, whereas Wrath of Man had the nicer shots, the more interesting plot and the brooding atmosphere that gave all the action some gravitas.

Fucking awesome to see Scott Eastwood finally do something in cinema half-memorable since he got called a "pussy" by his dad in Gran Torino.

Reactions: AbelTim
Going to give the extended cut a go tonight...

jPuKJcd.jpg

This film is like a painting. Malick is a genius!

BBTD_Vert_01.jpg

This film is terrible. So generic and boring.

Quote - Dan Stubbs of NME gave the film five out of five stars, describing it as "convention-breaking" and "undeniably brilliant," though "very difficult to watch."

I don't know what this guy was smoking.

Last edited:
I saw Those Who Wish Me Dead last night.

It looked interesting when I saw the trailer but unfortunately, the full movie does not hold up to that first impression.

Angelina Jolie plays a traumatized smoke jumper in the forests of Montana. Assigned to a lonely out of the way spotting post, she's soon plunged into a life and death struggle when she stumbles across a young boy on the run from assassins out to kill him for what he might possibly know.

What does he know? Well, thanks to that being pretty much a McGuffin for this movie, we don't really find out. But a lot of people are knocked off in the early part of the movie over it.

Making her job harder, the assassins set the forest on fire meaning Jolie and the boy have to dodge bullets in one direction and an out of control blaze from the other direction.

This had the potential to be an interesting movie but that potential was squandered by taking the first 40 minutes of the movie before Jolie and the boy even meet up, and then categorically refusing to provide any resolution to most of the loose ends of the story. What little resolution you do get still makes you feel like the filmmakers were just giving the middle finger to any viewer who plunked down their money expecting a finished story/script.

I gave what I saw on the screen a 5 out of 10 on IMDB because most of what I saw was moderately enjoyable. But I wouldn't bother to watch this one ever again. And if I factored in the near total lack of caring to finish the story properly, I'd end up giving the movie a 1 out of 10 at best. Oh, and the story that appears in the original book source material sounds far more interesting than what they settled for with this movie's script.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbelTim
Building up my Takeshi Kitano collection with the following. I already have Violent Cop, Boiling Point & Sonatine in a BFI set. I think I've also got his Zatoichi floating about somewhere.
02f093b2-90df-402e-9fb7-153f70cdaa7d.jpg
e022e3fc-8712-460a-8cab-b2e4b98eb6ed.jpg
62b65942-4793-41ed-88d5-d99400acfa62.jpg
4bd1487e-e128-4161-8b57-508dc894da77.jpg
ba8684aa-cc92-4c74-a7b1-f8795256354d.jpg
1bb4e4a3-3e6a-4bcd-af78-35941f31b960.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
monsters-of-man.jpg

Pretty impressive debut right here. The director Mark Toia is an Australian who has been making advertisements for like 20 years and recently decided to try his hand at film. He and his wife bankrolled this whole thing with their own money apparently which is surprising because the CGI doesn't feel like it.

Looking around I'm seeing people describe it as "RoboCop meets Predator" which isn't too far off or anything but personally I'd go with something more accurate (and less hype/complimentary) like CHAPPiE meets Rambo 2, with a pinch of Rambo 4 and The Terminator franchise. The cast gets put through a gauntlet. It's violent as shit, the robots are animated with some class, the acting isn't too awful for a bunch of mostly nobodies (the director could afford one "star" and he chose Neal McDonough) and there is some cool use of old school gore effects which was a nice touch.

Definitely recommend for anybody who likes a nice simplistic action/sci-fi/survival shoot 'em up, which is a rare thing for a 2020 movie.

View attachment 29322

Pretty impressive debut right here. The director Mark Toia is an Australian who has been making advertisements for like 20 years and recently decided to try his hand at film. He and his wife bankrolled this whole thing with their own money apparently which is surprising because the CGI doesn't feel like it.

Looking around I'm seeing people describe it as "RoboCop meets Predator" which isn't too far off or anything but personally I'd go with something more accurate (and less hype/complimentary) like CHAPPiE meets Rambo 2, with a pinch of Rambo 4 and The Terminator franchise. The cast gets put through a gauntlet. It's violent as shit, the robots are animated with some class, the acting isn't too awful for a bunch of mostly nobodies (the director could afford one "star" and he chose Neal McDonough) and there is some cool use of old school gore effects which was a nice touch.

Definitely recommend for anybody who likes a nice simplistic action/sci-fi/survival shoot 'em up, which is a rare thing for a 2020 movie.

I see this is playing on amazon prime, I'll check it out later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks

Just started watching.....

i0DPmpo.jpg

Reactions: CiG