The Official Movie Thread

MV5BYmYxNTY5YjctNjA4Ni00MWUzLTljMjktZGNkMWM5YjM3NDBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIyOTEyMzY@._V1_.jpg

This was much better than The Maltese Falcon.

to elaborate on the maltese falcon, i do like the writing and cast but it's just kinda stuffy and inert and a bit of a trifle really, it doesn't begin to compare to the greats of golden age noir. i think it's a major reason why huston is a bit underrated by critical circles these days, although that's also partially because he's more of a craftsman than an auteur which obviously isn't in vogue anymore. he has made great noirs though, i just don't think the maltese falcon is one of them.

my huston ranking looks something like:
1) the misfits (a bleak, deeply felt melodrama with a wonderful IRL-doomed cast)
2) fat city (downbeat outcast drama, provides a tonic for the easy rider counter-culture cool of the late '60s by showing what the margins really look like)
3) the treasure of the sierra madre (missing link between stroheim's greed and stuff like blood simple, shallow grave and a simple plan. basically a noir in western garb, very fun bogart performance)
4) the asphalt jungle (just a way more stylistically, tonally and thematically interesting noir than the maltese falcon imo)
5) the night of the iguana (very weird humid adaptation, unexpectedly made me start liking richard burton)
6) wise blood (another oddball adaptation, very well cast, young brad dourif, harry dean stanton, feels like lynch and the coens probably saw it)
7) the maltese falcon
8) let there be light (series of interviews with traumatised wwii soldiers, cynical and harrowing)
9) key largo (another sweaty bogey noir, might be more interesting than TMF but also a mess from what i remember)
10) moby dick (solid but probably too literal adaptation for my tastes, it's hard not to imagine what welles would've done with it, a few haunting sequences though)
11) the man who would be king (fun i guess but pretty oscar-baity)
12) beat the devil (only bogart seems to realise how shit this is, everyone else is heroically trying to save it and he's just blatantly phoning it in)