The Official Movie Thread

Gave this a watch the other night

92563_1_large.jpg

This is the only Larry Cohen movie I've never seen or have no memory of seeing. Captures old dirty, seedy, grimey New York very well.
This is what the back of the box says:
cusYm1t.jpeg

Can't find a trailer for it or too much info about it, but I liked it. Pretty damn good.

yeah i like this one too, weird how obscure it is.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher
Went for my second Bresson,

Lancelot_du_Lac_film_poster_.jpg

I just do not get the fawning over his directorial style. was going to go for trial of joan of arc or l'argent next, but something about his style frustrates me. dude has a foot fetish throughout this one, which reminded me of the doorknob fetish in balthazar.

other than that, seems like a direct take on the mythology of Arthur and the decline. not sure if there's anything else. first few minutes felt like a direct influence to monty python and the holy grail :lol:

Another 'folk horror' disappointing me recently. Actually despite the marketing, it's not really horror at all, more like Guillermo del Toro magic realism mixed with Bela Tarr slow peasant cinema. It's as odd as it sounds. Beautifully shot like all A24 movies but ultimately flimsy, with an ending that's completely incongruous.

Last edited:
Saw the last duel last night, and looks to be a big miss with the script. Not sure the ending justifies the three perspective narrative that came before it. In the end, did they (Damon Affleck and Scott) simply want to film a cool duel in medieval France? :lol: was hoping for more. Think the female leads perspective could have been more subtle and may had a larger impact on the conclusion...if anything.

More subtle? How so?

More subtle? How so?

I think when she talks about how this is all about Damon's character, and men in general for rape victims, that was basically the gist of the movie. Wasn't about who to believe rather even in the end, women get nothing out of it

I think when she talks about how this is all about Damon's character, and men in general for rape victims, that was basically the gist of the movie. Wasn't about who to believe rather even in the end, women get nothing out of it

I've read this comment multiple times and I can't make heads or tails of it.

sdfsadf.png

Eternals was fucking awesome. Without a doubt one of the best MCU films I've seen so far. It wasn't just the same old goodie vs baddie dynamic, there were a ton of moving parts that lead characters on disparate trajectories through the story. The characters themselves all felt very interesting and layered (rather than just being there to fill the void around one or two better written characters), the action was exciting and the way the whole film was put together didn't feel like conveyor belt fodder like a lot of these capeflicks can get like. It all had a pretty "epic" style to it.

PS: Don Lee ruled as Gilgamesh.

gdsgfsd.png

Also the set up at the end for Kit Harrington to
become Black Knight in whatever movie follows was awesome. Apparently the off-camera voice he hears is Blade's!

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
Glad to hear you liked it! I haven't seen it yet but I had a suspicion it might be better than its negative reception suggests, I'll definitely check it out soon.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I think you're gonna like it.

On the other hand, Eastwood's Cry Macho was pretty bad. Beautifully shot as expected but the acting is horrendous. Eastwood gets some leeway because he's fucking 91 but the other lead is dogshit and utterly destroys every scene he's in.

What a shame.