The Official Movie Thread

OK well that's a much more helpful explanation than your previous one-liners "it's a cop out" and "it needed an explosive ending" which suggested the only problem was the omission of the shooting. You hadn't mentioned any other important details were left out, so I now see where you're coming from. Curiously Nitram was co-written by the same scriptwriter Shaun Grant who worked with Kurzel on Snowtown, and I know for a fact that movie was extremely accurate (the sentencing judgment of the court in that case is quite well known in legal circles). You shouldn't need to have read a biography to judge a film, but I hadn't appreciated the degree of fictionalisation going on in Nitram.

I still don't agree there was any gun propaganda agenda though!

The fact that Shaun Grant was involved just makes me feel even more confident that the film is a product of trying to skirt public outrage, because Snowtown is one of the most uncomfortably graphic and psychologically disturbing films in Aussie history. If he'd collaborated with a different writer I might understand why Nitram turned out how it did, but this seems like two typically gutsy guys playing it safe.

I thought it was particularly misleading how they did the car crash scene, with Bryant and Helen happily driving and he caused her to crash, which it seemed like she was completely unprepared for. In reality she had already crashed several cars because of his antics and had to drive no more than 35 mph wherever they went. By leaving this out it made the crash seem like the first disaster to ever happen as a result of harmless fun rather than the ongoing Russian roulette her life had become.

Fuck they didn't even include how Bryant slept with his favourite pig in his bedroom (Helen owned pigs and miniature horses) and it defecated and urinated all over his floor so often that his room stunk and the carpet had to be replaced multiple times. Like... this is all stuff that would paint such a different picture of the guy from the version they gave us.

Anyways the reason I consider Nitram anti-firearm propaganda isn't because the film portrays our pre-1996 gun laws as too lax, they were and there's no reason why someone like Bryant should have ever been able to acquire an AR-15, but rather because the only parts of the film that dip into didacticism are the parts about guns. For example there's nothing I've ever read about Helen being freaked out by the mere presence of a gun, that means they invented that part with a purpose. Also they show him owning a gigantic arsenal with random people coming over to buy and sell black market weapons. What the fuck is that?

Personally, instead of the gun message before the credits it should've been something about how he's now a bald old man who is approaching obesity because he does sexual favours for extra sweets in prison. He got off so easy in this film.

New Robert Eggers movie.......April

FHDavFxXIAM6_Gj

did anyone see Spiderman No Way Home yet??
i've seen all the previous spideman movies,
just wanting everyone's opinion on whether this newest one is better or worse than the previous ones

The other day I watched a crazy ultraviolent 2014 pre-colonial New Zealand action/adventure movie called The Dead Lands:

The Dead Lands Poster 1.jpg

It's set during peacetime between two big tribes and the son of one tribe fakes a desecration in order to start a war.

It features no English, very brutal combat scenes utilizing a shitload of traditional Maori martial arts called Mau rākau, awesome traditional weapons, cannibalism, mushroom tripping, Rena Owen as a dead ancestor, a spicy 80's synth soundtrack that gives it more of a horror feel even though it's an adventure pic. Fucking wild shit, I loved it.

deadlands-1000x600.jpg

Apparently it's since been adapted into a series, but I can't speak on whether it's good or not. Also the big bloke on the right is Lawrence Makoare, legendary Maori actor known for playing Lurtz (and Gothmog and the Witch-king) in the LOTR trilogy.

film.org_.pl_9653075_orig-1.jpg

In the Earth was a big disappointment. Felt like the script was really rushed: there's some sort of COVID-esque plague going on but it doesn't seem to connect to the plot; characters are not developed at all and motivations are puzzling; and the mythology (so crucial to folk horror) is baffling. And then Wheatley doesn't seem to know to conclude things so
throws in some vague trippy bullshit so the viewer can 'make their own meaning'.
Meh.

You can definitely tell Wheatley pulled that whole film out of his arse on the spur of the moment and it's basically a spore-infested clusterfuck that completely goes off the rails at the end, and maybe it just felt fresh after the bloated boring pile of shit Rebecca, but I loved it.

First impressions though. As soon as I snag a copy I plan to really see how I feel, particularly about the film's mythology.

Saw the last duel last night, and looks to be a big miss with the script. Not sure the ending justifies the three perspective narrative that came before it. In the end, did they (Damon Affleck and Scott) simply want to film a cool duel in medieval France? :lol: was hoping for more. Think the female leads perspective could have been more subtle and may had a larger impact on the conclusion...if anything.

chaw's top 50 of 2021 is up. a lot of stuff i haven't even heard of here, although he has the same number 1 as just about every other list i've seen.

There's a lot in here I'm dying to see, and a bunch I have. The big praise for Shadow in the Cloud and Saint Maud is a bit weird though. I feel like I'm so far behind this time around.