The Official Movie Thread

there’s a full list on letterboxd already fyi: https://letterboxd.com/erunion/list/films-mentioned-in-woodlands-dark-and-days/

i’ve been compiling a folk horror watchlist myself using both that doc and the adam scovell book hours dreadful and things strange along with rym genre tags. it’s made me very aware of how many movies are mistagged on rym, granted the genre name is a little misleading.

272309599_982501955698984_5833877960283057298_n.jpg

Last night I watched Scott Adkins' new movie One Shot and it fucking ruled. As you can guess by the title, the whole movie is one long uninterrupted take, filled with shootouts, hand-to-hand combat, sneaky knife murders. Adkins himself has stated it's the toughest film he's ever made and you can immediately see why. This one is much lighter on Adkins' typically bombastic martial arts and aims more for Navy SEAL type realism.

271710836_982502022365644_7844915504934052263_n.jpg

272049582_982502052365641_2920085612778386920_n.jpg

Probably won't do much for most people in here but lovers of stuntwork-oriented action and splattery violence should absolutely check it out. Also this movie must be way up there in terms of on-screen body count because it seemed like there was a never ending supply of corpses being piled up.

there’s a full list on letterboxd already fyi: https://letterboxd.com/erunion/list/films-mentioned-in-woodlands-dark-and-days/

i’ve been compiling a folk horror watchlist myself using both that doc and the adam scovell book hours dreadful and things strange along with rym genre tags. it’s made me very aware of how many movies are mistagged on rym, granted the genre name is a little misleading.

Probably stating the obvious, but there's a fair bit on that list that's not folk horror either. A lot of films mentioned in the doco as influencing the genre without being part of it; films name-checked in passing, even children's movies.

yeah, i think there's probably significantly less than 100 actual folk horror movies in existence. to me if it feels like it belongs in a list with witchfinder general, the wicker man, the witch and midsommar then it's folk horror and if not it probably isn't. way too many on RYM are just tagged that way because there's some folkloric element to the monster.

Last edited:
stuff like little otik, candyman, mama, most of the movies about humans turning into creatures like the reptile, some exorcism movies, some evil scarecrow movies, some hammer stuff, the blair witch project (somewhat debatable but not really imo) and a lot of other more straightforwardly supernatural or gothic witch/occult movies, various werewolf movies, some fairytales like little red riding hood, hansel and gretel, the wolf house etc. stuff like bergman and marketa lazarova also gets cited, may have the folk element down but it's not really horror. granted a lot of these have it as a secondary rather than primary genre on rym but i'd even dispute that in a lot of cases (stuff like hot fuzz is spot on though). i've been through the whole list not long ago and discarded probably half of them as not seeming relevant, but obviously a big portion of those i haven't seen so i was going by synopsis and reviews. the most common issue was people arguing that a mermaid or werewolf or minotaur or -insert mythical creature here- automatically makes a movie folk horror, which i don't agree with.

I wasn't referring to any documentary or list or whatever, just to your comment about RYM often using the genre tag inaccurately. I was just curious because I can't remember a single time I watched a movie tagged as folk horror and it didn't end up fitting it.

Ive always found RYM fairly accurate too. I looked a few up on RYM that I hadnt heard of, eg Penda's Fen which even in the doco they acknowledged were more an influence on the genre rather than actual folk horror. From memory it had romance, coming of age and LGB as primaries and folk horror as a secondary.

On the flipside Wake in Fright has massive links to the folk horror genre but it doesnt have it as a tag at all, which I agree with.

Reactions: CiG
stuff like little otik, candyman, mama, most of the movies about humans turning into creatures like the reptile, some exorcism movies, some evil scarecrow movies, some hammer stuff, the blair witch project (somewhat debatable but not really imo) and a lot of other more straightforwardly supernatural or gothic witch/occult movies, various werewolf movies, some fairytales like little red riding hood, hansel and gretel, the wolf house etc. stuff like bergman and marketa lazarova also gets cited, may have the folk element down but it's not really horror. granted a lot of these have it as a secondary rather than primary genre on rym but i'd even dispute that in a lot of cases (stuff like hot fuzz is spot on though). i've been through the whole list not long ago and discarded probably half of them as not seeming relevant, but obviously a big portion of those i haven't seen so i was going by synopsis and reviews. the most common issue was people arguing that a mermaid or werewolf or minotaur or -insert mythical creature here- automatically makes a movie folk horror, which i don't agree with.

I dont disagree with this but how much of this is an RYM issue vs other forums? Eg your Bergman example, stuff like Vargtimmen is tagged gothic horror as a secondary not folk.

View attachment 30003

Rest in peace Meatloaf.

eye_twitch_fight_club.gif

• Haha
I wasn't referring to any documentary or list or whatever, just to your comment about RYM often using the genre tag inaccurately. I was just curious because I can't remember a single time I watched a movie tagged as folk horror and it didn't end up fitting it.
I dont disagree with this but how much of this is an RYM issue vs other forums? Eg your Bergman example, stuff like Vargtimmen is tagged gothic horror as a secondary not folk.

everything i mentioned was from rym aside from bergman/marketa i think, i quickly browsed the rym list when making that post. i wish you’d asked me a few weeks ago ‘cause i could’ve probably listed a lot more specific titles lol