The Official Movie Thread

Yeah, I forgot to watch 28 Days Later.

I did find out they are making a documentary about Darfur though; hopefully it won't suck.

I like foreign films, my favourite is Brazilian and south american ones. Mostly crime, drama as my favourite genres.

Prison films, and street kids are two of my favourite film subjects :D

I own Pulp Fiction, great movie...but I honestly could never watch a movie three times in one week, maybe at most three times in a year. I probably only watch my DVDs once a year or two and that's how I like it.

My best friend is one of those guys who can watch movies over and over and over again. I remember years ago I stayed over his place for like a week or two and EVERY day he woke up and watched Interview With the Vampire.

Why? It has to be the single most overrated movie in recent memory, though American History X and Fight Club are also in that discussion.

Pulp Fiction has tons of style and humor, but not much content. The script and dialogue are great and the characters are authentic and memorable, but it's by no means a conventional movie... it has different aims. It is pretty much a tribute to film making, in my eyes (like all other Tarantino movies)

Fight Club is not a bad movie. It's not a masterpiece of film making but the plot is smart and the twist near the ending was not only surprising but also meaningful.

Children of Men. Very interesting Sci-fi flick.

That was a great movie. Without a doubt one of my favorite films in years.

The other night I saw Breach. It was pretty good. I like Chris Cooper, which reminds me: has anyone heard or read anything about when the next Bourne movie is supposed to come out?

Pulp Fiction has tons of style

All of it lifted from the work of other directors...

and humor, but not much content.

Remove the witty banter and you're left with pretty much nothing, yeah.

The script and dialogue are great and the characters are authentic and memorable

Memorable, sure, but 'authentic'? In what sense? Nobody talks like people in Tarantino films (certainly not this one), and no one behaves like that either. The acting is heavily stylized, and doesn't even aim for emotional realism so much as a veneer of postmodern 'cool.'

but it's by no means a conventional movie... it has different aims. It is pretty much a tribute to film making, in my eyes (like all other Tarantino movies)

It's a cinematic collage, and you're right to point out its basic consonance with everything else in Tarantino's body of work. He's never been a particularly talented director, much less an original one. He has essentially made a lucrative career out of (badly) interpreting Asian cinema for stupid white frat boys.

That was a great movie. Without a doubt one of my favorite films in years.

The other night I saw Breach. It was pretty good. I like Chris Cooper, which reminds me: has anyone heard or read anything about when the next Bourne movie is supposed to come out?
New Bourne movie is coming out in early August. Children of Men does stack up nicely with Pan's Labyrinth as favorite movies I've seen in quite a while, but I also enjoyed Zodiac. Very suspenseful and didn't drag at all, imo.