The Official Movie Thread

That Avatar trailer wasn't as impressive as I was hoping.

I was so looking forward to this movie before the trailer due to every major director proclaiming how lifelike all the CG is.

The passion inside has died a down quite a bit, but we'll see how well this looks when it comes out.

Just got back from Inglourious Basterds. This was a very good, possibly great, film that surpassed my expectations. Despite its length, at no point did I find myself calling into question its duration, or even entertaining any thoughts about it whatsoever. Christoph Waltz was my choice for best actor in the film - his performance really reminded me of James Purefoy's brilliant portrayal of Mark Antony in the series Rome, and it was evident from the very first scene that he is certainly one of the better actors to appear on screen this year. This more than makes up for the disappointing District 9, and it's possible I may even have to see it again.

I was so looking forward to this movie before the trailer due to every major director proclaiming how lifelike all the CG is.

Exactly, I was expecting something much more revolutionary, I suppose. The CGI for the humans looked very good, but the aliens just looked like regular old computer graphics; nothing special at all.

Maybe when it's officially released in its 3D format it will be cooler.

The aliens looked terrible. I have to admit, I didn't know the humans were actually CG, maybe I just wasn't paying attention, but they did a good job there. Wasn't really impressed with the premise either, seems really cliché and boring, but it has a good chance of being decent, being directed by someone competent. I might check it out.

I generally hate CG films.

I Am Legend was somewhat ruined for me because of the CG zombies things.

I agree. I don't understand the fascination with CGI in so many contemporary films. Granted, it's necessary for certain visual effects; but why do so many directors use CGI when it's completely unnecessary? The I Am Legend example is a perfect one. Also, I really wish that Gollom hadn't been CGI in the LOTR trilogy. The sequence portraying Andy Serkis as Gollom (i.e. how he became Gollom) was completely convincing, and far creepier. They should have used that costume for the entire film.

Saw District 9 and Inglourious Basterds a couple nights ago. I enjoyed District 9 a lot, but didn't care for some cliche elements. Inglourious Basterds was okay, but pretty much typical Tarantino. Really don't care much for his movies at all.

WTF, the CG in District 9 was excellent, you're all absolutely stupid.

oh nm you're talking about Avatar apparently. I thought I was gonna have to kill some people.

The CGI in Dictrict 9 looks a thousand times better than Avatar. I don't understand why people aren't raving about the effects in that movie.

I'm beginning to think that hollywood purposely uses bad CGI to make their effects stand-out more. A lot of it is "ooo shiney" type stuff rather than actually making a convincing/real looking universe outside our normal realm of experiences.