The Photography Thread

Went up to Red Rock Canyon with a couple of my friends for a first attempt at portraiture/modeling type stuff (asides from random candids of people).

IMG_6171 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6175 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6192 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6225 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6246 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6295 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6375 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6308 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6392 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_6441 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

Here's some stuff of the headliners at Power of the Riff. Oh and I just got a 70-200mm 2.8 yesterday for $800! The exterior is fairly scratched, but everything works exceptionally well. Makes the f4 seem so small...

Anyways:

Pentagram by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

Pentagram (6) by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

Pentagram (2) by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_2818 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_2803 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_8140 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_8098 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_7914 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

Okay, here goes...

I don't post this stuff much here because the comments about the images would likely be... how can I say "predictable".

I spend the majority of my photography time shooting pole artists. They are NOT strippers. This is VERY different. Many of these girls (and guys) are trained in circus arts, ballet, contemporary dance and gymnastics.

I've been shooting this stuff for almost 4 years now. I've been very lucky to see some amazingly talented women and men in a performance art/fitness art genre which is very young and still growing.

These are some samples of the most recent event I shot about 4 weeks back.

They are not studio shots, they are live performance shots. The challenge is knowing the moves, the choreography, and how to shoot the body properly so that it is flattering. Also, each trick must be captured at its absolute apex. Shooting this stuff requires research of the subject.

I've had a lot of success, and it continues to grow. 2 DVDs with my work are being released this year, and I had my first one last year.

The downside is that I am earning pretty much nothing out of this. Typical story of a broke artist...

I hope you like.

299379_212127135508701_107601375961278_535265_4306176_n.jpg

310199_212127175508697_107601375961278_535268_5515688_n.jpg

282102_205459852842096_107601375961278_515892_7072618_n.jpg

301149_212127375508677_107601375961278_535279_5433691_n.jpg

299012_209245045796910_107601375961278_526578_4024391_n.jpg

The girls in the last shot I know personally and have even trained with them a bit. I might be doing some studio shoot projects with them later this year, which would be great.

What lens have you been using for that?

Makes me want to shoot some Cirque du Soleil stuff (there are a ton of Cirque shows here in Vegas, maybe someday I'll get in).

Haha - well, unfortunately for this stuff, I don't let out any info :)

I know that sounds totally egotistical, it's not meant to though.

Arrogantly, I'll admit why: countless other photographers have been trying around the world to shoot this stuff live properly, and all have failed. I've had a number of people ask how I do it, what I use etc. I've even made enemies because the performers are digging my work over that of the bigger names in the field.

So for the time being, I have to keep the knowledge of equipment that I use and my shooting techniques a very tightly-kept secret. Mind you, let's say this: when I've rocked up at shows to shoot, and other photographers have rocked up with their gear, I've been laughed at: I actually have very little on me in comparison to them.

But I can tell you this: prediction is everything. Knowing the choreography or style of the performer does wonders. No flash: STRICTLY no flash should ever be used when shooting dance live. It is dangerous for the performer and totally unflattering on the body when the skin is pulled in "unnatural" various directions.

For things like Cirque, this is what usually happens: performance shots are done in a dress rehearsal the day before (at the least). They'll do a complete run through, but there's no crowd there. This way the person shooting has complete movement and control over the performance space without obstructing the stage performers themselves.

Watching rehearsals is great: it also gives you a wonderful insight on the production and the performers, and you can get candid shots of excellent showmanship.

I want to expand into more dance stuff, lyrical and things like that. I'd also love to shoot things like opera rehearsals too, especially that of Early Music/Baroque because period instruments are so beautiful.

I was mainly just curious since you mentioned before that you had the 55-250mm, and was wondering if you were using that or had upgraded to a 70-200mm 2.8 or something in that range. Based on the noise I'm guessing the ISO is @ 6400? Which would make sense if the 55-250mm was at its f5 or f5.6 position.

I'd want to shoot some sort of dance or opera as well, though I suppose it fits somewhat under the realm of concert photography.

But yeah, as you said, the key to it all is knowing the subject, and that can give an upper hand.

Yeah there was no way the ISO was that high in the shots, although at first glance the compression artifacting looked like ISO2500-3200 noise in the second picture (but the solid blacks dispelled that on my second look).

I figure flash wouldn't be bad as long as you gelled properly, but given the potential for lights to go the rainbow over on you at any time I could see how it would be a huge problem.

----------------------------------

Hey Chase, how did you shoot with Amon Amarth go last night?
I've only worked on two pictures so far, the first one is one of the general/obligatory "let's look up your pants shots" :

Amon Amarth 229 test by Abnegātus, on Flickr

The next one is something I'm actually having trouble with crop-wise. Here are two current versions of it:

Amon Amarth 439 test by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 439 II burn by Abnegātus, on Flickr

The first I intentionally cropped close because there was so much negative space that it felt empty. The problem I have with the first one however is that the placement seems really unnatural. On top of that, the top of Johan's head looks artificial. The second one follows the rule of thirds more, and the problem with the top of his head is alleviated, but even though his brow is right on one of the RoT vertices, my eyes naturally rest on his beard - whereas in the first picture I am immediately drawn to his face. I'm really not sure how to proceed with this.

I like the 2nd version a fair bit more, really great shot in either case though.

Anyways, the stage at the HoB in Vegas is like 2 feet higher than any other HoB stage I've seen (though I've only shot in the Sunset location so far); it was pretty damn annoying.

IMG_9903 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

So that presented sort of a difficulty anglewise, as on top of the stage were the speakers getting even more in the way. During the first three songs the light was pretty shit, a lot of backlight, not enough on the front, and of course after the first 3 it got better. During the second set I found a pretty good spot and made good use of the 70-200 2.8, though.

Anyways, here are some results:

"I want YOU to be a viking!"

IMG_0064 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0027 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0037 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0082 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0156 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_9840 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_9963 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_9976 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0217 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0261 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

IMG_0297 by Srontgorrth, on Flickr

Yeah, I like the second a fair bit more too, still, I'm always pensive about shit like this.

Looks like you had way better luck outside of the photopit! And holy hell that is a huge stage, Anaheim's HoB stage ended at my clavicle. After the pit my luck with shots was god damn abysmal, since I was only able to score a safespot near the edge of the stage, which had a horrible viewing angle. After I got upstairs things didn't improve much, but hopefully some good shots came out of everything.

Amon Amarth 141 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 161 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 620 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 272 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 088 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 1096 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 839 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

The one color photo lol

Amon Amarth 782 color by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 1023 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Amon Amarth 929 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

^Fuck me I forgot to get rid of that aberration in the last picture. I'll fix it later, I'm tired right now.