The Photography Thread

Honestly, all those were from the reject pile from the first show I shot. I only screwed with them because I figured I could, so why not?

Here is the original color for that one Elu shot:

Holy Grail, 3 Inches of Blood, Eluveitie 241 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

I just really like how the blue the red backdrops are juxtaposed, but god damn why did the guy have to be totally red-shifted.Eventually I'm going to just have to dedicate some time to fixing him, but I'm just not sure it's possible to make it work.

Hey Hubster, you said you've shot a good chunk of shows; do you mind posting any of your work? Decent shows are a rarity in my area, and with a total inability to usually get a photo pass of sorts, I don't shoot many (if at all, any) shows. So I'm always curious to see how other peoples work looks.

Sure - but I'll warn you, I'm nowhere near the level of where Alina is at with her concert stuff :erk: My photography strengths are elsewhere.

Give me a bit and I'll throw some up for you.

There was literally no other way to get that shot without that thing there :(

It's kind of grown on me though, it being technically the brightest light-source in the picture, yet it has literally no way to affect the illumination of the church. It also gives it a polaroid snapshot-like kitschiness that for some odd reason is appealing.

I may of course just be justifying it to myself :lol:

What in the hell is it anyways? Hasn't grown on me unfortunately :lol:

So went to that one venue that had decent lighting that I had gone before, and as luck would have it, the light was shittier than last time (even when shooting with the Tamron at 2.8, 1600 ISO, and fairly low shutter speeds, generally ranging around 1/25-1/50). Hoping to check out the venue of the actual show though, maybe if I'm lucky there will be a show I can go to there before DRI on Thursday.

Here are a few of the photos I took in Costinești (small sea resort at the Black Sea) this weekend:

dsc09154u.jpg

dsc09151v.jpg

some art students did this in the sand:

dsc09165.jpg

from the cliffs:

dscn1862g.jpg

dscn1876j.jpg

sunrise, kites:

dsc09148q.jpg

dsc09218z.jpg

self photographing, only not done in bathroom:

dsc00731a.jpg

For a digital camera, I'd say they turned out rather good.

wow nice pics, the colors, detail and composition are amazing, can you post nudes of yourelf?

Oh man, someone is selling the 100-400mm for $1200 on Craigslist, when it goes for $1,499 used on Amazon... Need to go rob a bank!

Canon's refurb department is selling the 70-200 f4 for $560.

I'm honestly thinking about picking up the Sigma 8-16, but I am so in debt from student loans...

Canon's refurb department is selling the 70-200 f4 for $560.

I'm honestly thinking about picking up the Sigma 8-16, but I am so in debt from student loans...

Well I got a display copy of the 70-200 for $620, with the one year warranty and everything.

Selling my Rebel XS, the 35-80mm lens, a bag, tripod and some other stuff for $450 on Craigslist. Bought a Canon 40d for $491 on eBay. It's still 10 mp, but the 40d has 6.5 shots per second, weather sealing shiznit, diagonally placed AF points (with a f2.8 sensitive sensor?). The way I see it $50-100 for that upgrade is worth it. Just need someone to buy the XS.

And beautiful pics as usual, Pess. I can't wait to visit LA, but that might not be for awhile. Chicago in a week though!

The whole last session I shot with my friend Sanne I screwed up. Not sure if it was because for once I had company, or if it was just a bad day. But yeah, after the day was done and I was looking at all the pictures... they were just so damn boring.

Here's one of my epic failures

097 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Depth of field was somewhat shot to shit, I wasn't fast enough, colors ended up WAY too saturated throughout the entire picture (to the point where I couldn't do any decent post-processing - hence the awful crop job), and just a slew of other bullshit. I give myself a little credit, counting I'm 6'3" and I was hunched over a flower with a 2" diameter hendheld, but it still sucks.

--------------------

What tripod did you have? Why did you get rid of it?

Both those cameras also have the same processor (DIGIC III), which is one of the reasons you're not seeing a MP increase (not that actually completely matters in the long scope of things). But no doubt about it, it's a better camera (like you said, weather sealing = \m/), and on top of it you now have 1/8000th shutter speed capability! Plus two extra AF points never hurt anyone.

The next upgrade you take - if you decide to stick with crop cameras that is - should be the 7D. That's my current goal unless the new 5DmkIII just totally fucking owns. even then it'll be a hard decision.

Depth of field was somewhat shot to shit, I wasn't fast enough, colors ended up WAY too saturated throughout the entire picture (to the point where I couldn't do any decent post-processing - hence the awful crop job), and just a slew of other bullshit. I give myself a little credit, counting I'm 6'3" and I was hunched over a flower with a 2" diameter hendheld, but it still sucks.

--------------------

What tripod did you have? Why did you get rid of it?

Both those cameras also have the same processor (DIGIC III), which is one of the reasons you're not seeing a MP increase (not that actually completely matters in the long scope of things). But no doubt about it, it's a better camera (like you said, weather sealing = m/), and on top of it you now have 1/8000th shutter speed capability! Plus two extra AF points never hurt anyone.

The next upgrade you take - if you decide to stick with crop cameras that is - should be the 7D. That's my current goal unless the new 5DmkIII just totally fucking owns. even then it'll be a hard decision.

What f stop did you shoot that at?

And it's just some aluminum Dynex tripod. My mom bought me a tripod too and sent it to Vegas with my brother when he came back from spring break, so I have two. Neither of them are anything special but they do the job. The 50d would have been nice, but it's like $300 more than the 40d, so yeah. The 7d would be beautiful, but I think that is quite a ways a way... I thought a little about the T1i (a little more than the 40d) but saw the 40d on eBay, and in Vegas, so went with that... 15mp would be nice too, given the ability to crop even more,but 10mp is still a lot to work with.

As for crop vs full frame - I really like the increased reach of a 1.6 sensor, and think I'll probably stick with it for a very long time. Plus the Tamron 17-50mm doesn't work on full frames :lol: but then again, if I had enough $$$ to get a full frame I probably wouldn't be using the 17-50mm anyways.

the bee was shot at f8. Hell, the sync was at 1/200 sec too so i'm not particularly sure why it is blurry. I really probably just needed a faster shutter speed, these guys were busy (they each were on a flower for only about 4 or 5 seconds max).

f8 is actually when my primary lens is at its sharpest. So sometimes I kind of just get carried away... damn me and my greed!