The thread of joy and enjoyment!

I'm finally done with school for the summer. And I'm happy because I have so many books I want to read. Hesiod, Herodotus, Aurelius, Plato, Aristotle, Livy, Suetonius, Augustine and many more have been in my backlog.

I'm finally done with school for the summer. And I'm happy because I have so many books I want to read. Hesiod, Herodotus, Aurelius, Plato, Aristotle, Livy, Suetonius, Augustine and many more have been in my backlog.

I read Suetonius's Twelve Caesars for my Roman Empire course. We had to compare his account with Tacitus's, because they offer contrasting views on a lot of points.

He's not a science major. He's studying the Classics. Historians don't study ancient philosophical works under the impression that they're scientifically accurate. They study them because they offer insight into the society and culture in which said writer(s) lived, and to trace the course and maturation of knowledge and enlightenment. People don't read Aristotle nowadays to pass a physics exam.

Theogony sounds really cool. I'd like to get into that someday. Let me know how they are. Happy reading!

Finished both today. Works & Days is a pastoral poem, but with gratuitous references to mythology and a very pleasurable read.

Theogony is awesome, and it's basically the source for all later mythological references. Theogony is Greek for "Genesis of the Gods", and it is the story of how creation came into being with its numerous deities, and the power struggle between them.

The book that contains these works also has a bunch of "Homeric Hymns", which are poems written in the style of Homer, but of unknown authorship. Each one seems to be addressing a specific god or goddess. I'll jump into those tomorrow.

I thought maybe you were; but I didn't see any smiley or anything to indicate, so I played it safe and answered.

Unfortunately, sarcasm is lost on the written word in most cases.

Apologies.

No worries. I usually ignore capitalization and punctuation when I'm being sarcastic, but I didn't this time heh