The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

I've been listening to the deathrock band Kommunity FK a lot lately. Good to see they're still around making great music.

Here's "Something Inside Me Has Died" from their second album, which I finally managed to find for a decent price!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVS5euaYbM

Is there a difference between death rock and goth rock?, because I can't tell. I like that shit though.

Is there a difference between death rock and goth rock?, because I can't tell. I like that shit though.

Yes, but it's a bit of a grey area though. Gothic music is generally associated with goth rock, deathrock, darkwave, coldwave, post-punk.

But for example, The Sisters of Mercy are goth rock and not deathrock. Christian Death, Kommunity FK and similar bands are deathrock, but of course, they are are widely known as goth rock too. The term deathrock became less frequent in the 90s, and goth rock basically became more and more common and used far more liberally. Stylewise, deathrock is a bit punky-er and the bass instrument is utilized more than in goth rock. But deathrock was basically an earlier term for this kind of music that largely came from the Californian scene and it's a bit more specific, while goth rock had more to do with evolving from the post-punk scene in the UK.

However, the goth scene basically died out in the mid 90s but I guess one could argue that the spirit still exists in what I'd refer to as a general "dark" music scene. There's more emphasis on electronics as opposed to synth, guitar and bass unfortunately. :(

Goddamn Vossyrus I have such a raging e-crush on you I can hardly contain myself. So are you not a fan at all of the whole WGT German-synthpop scene?

Goddamn Vossyrus I have such a raging e-crush on you I can hardly contain myself. So are you not a fan at all of the whole WGT German-synthpop scene?

Well, I remember checking out some modern German darkwave/synth bands but it never really appealed to me. Like, I can't think of any specific bands I had heard but a lot of it seemed a bit sappy, and the vocals were a bit too clean and melodic for me. I never really explored much beyond that. I think that German vocals sound better with some anger or bitterness to them, to be honest.

I really like Sopor Aeternus though, but that isn't really comparable to anything else out there.

A big thing for me with the modern stuff is that the music itself just isn't that interesting. EBM-influenced bands in particular reek of generic, unoriginal, poor quality songwriting. Overall the emphasis of electronics only leads to disappointment for me because I feel it lacks the personality and dynamic that you get with jangly guitars, prominent bass, cool synthesizers and the organic 80s style production.

However, the French are doing a good job keeping things alive. I think there's potential there to somewhat resurrect the (trve) goth scene without sounding like complete clones of the old bands.

Well, I remember checking out some modern German darkwave/synth bands but it never really appealed to me. Like, I can't think of any specific bands I had heard but a lot of it seemed a bit sappy, and the vocals were a bit too clean and melodic for me. I never really explored much beyond that. I think that German vocals sound better with some anger or bitterness to them, to be honest.

I really like Sopor Aeternus though, but that isn't really comparable to anything else out there.

A big thing for me with the modern stuff is that the music itself just isn't that interesting. EBM-influenced bands in particular reek of generic, unoriginal, poor quality songwriting. Overall the emphasis of electronics only leads to disappointment for me because I feel it lacks the personality and dynamic that you get with jangly guitars, prominent bass, cool synthesizers and the organic 80s style production.

However, the French are doing a good job keeping things alive. I think there's potential there to somewhat resurrect the (trve) goth scene without sounding like complete clones of the old bands.

Yeah, a lot of the groups are interchangeable and it decidedly lacks soul and aggression for the most part. A few household names I can think of are And One, Melotron, Funker Vogt, and Welle: Erdball. I can't stand sappy darkwave BS like Diary of Dreams (except the song "She") either. I think on the whole Germans are still hesitant to make overly aggressive electronic music lest they be attacked by Antifa. It kind of makes sense when you consider how much crap Laibach and Rammstein have gotten.

Sopor Aeternus are sacred music - I am 100% sure no SA fans listen to them on a casual level, rather the music is tied to some deeply meaningful personal journey/struggle.

You linked me to a French group way back when that I loved; what other acts on the French scene are keeping TRVE goth alive?

Yeah, a lot of the groups are interchangeable and it decidedly lacks soul and aggression for the most part. A few household names I can think of are And One, Melotron, Funker Vogt, and Welle: Erdball. I can't stand sappy darkwave BS like Diary of Dreams (except the song "She") either. I think on the whole Germans are still hesitant to make overly aggressive electronic music lest they be attacked by Antifa. It kind of makes sense when you consider how much crap Laibach and Rammstein have gotten.

Sopor Aeternus are sacred music - I am 100% sure no SA fans listen to them on a casual level, rather the music is tied to some deeply meaningful personal journey/struggle.

You linked me to a French group way back when that I loved; what other acts on the French scene are keeping TRVE goth alive?

I should check out some of those bands then. And One and Funker Vogt are two names I have heard of, but I don't recall what their music is like. The other two I'm not familiar with at all. You might be right about the Germans though, there's definitely some sensitive people over there.

And I completely agree with you about Sopor Aeternus, especially with regards to it being "deeply meaningful personal journey/struggle." I feel like I have some sort of bizarre connection to the music, it reminds me of a lot of stuff. Perhaps dreams, feelings, thoughts, atmospheres and stuff hidden within my subconscious from who knows when or where. It's something I can't even explain. And I don't see much in the way of casual listeners either, it seems that people either can't get into the music, or they are huge fans.

And I don't remember which band I linked you to, Castrati maybe? Deadchovsky was also an interesting band. But the French appear to have a fair bit of a scene going on, if you don't mind the vocalists' accents. But I think Soror Dolorosa is a band with a ton of potential. They remind me a bit of Corpus Delicti (a French band but from the 90s). Some of their songs are a bit soft, but I'm hoping they will write more amazing songs like this:

I know there's some compilations that have been put out featuring some underground french bands like this, I'm really interested in hearing what other bands are out there. The point is, it's goth music with the spirit of the early bands but without simply being a clone of Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, or Christian Death, because there's too many of those! I think there's also some good stuff going on in Latin America like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
marsalis+footsteps.jpg

Incredible...doing all of A Love Supreme is an extreme challenge and very advantageous but I love every fucking second of it. He brings more of the suite style to it, like it was originally intended. Resolution is the highlight, it's my favorite in general on A Love Supreme. It has a natural progression and Psalm is the ultimate cooldown to ridiculous playing by Branford, and especially Tain Watts...he destroys on this record. And of course there's the Freedom Jazz suite and the other two covers....mind blowing record, Branford and Kenny Garrett are my favorite modern sax players right now, they are doing some incredible stuff

I should check out some of those bands then. And One and Funker Vogt are two names I have heard of, but I don't recall what their music is like. The other two I'm not familiar with at all. You might be right about the Germans though, there's definitely some sensitive people over there.

Here are my fav songs from each of the four groups I mentioned plus some others in the very general "modern electronic-synthy stuff that sometimes gets labeled as goth" macro-genre that I really like:

And One:

Funker Vogt:

Melotron:

Welle:Erdball:

God Module (covering The Cure <3):

Rotersand:

Colony 5:

Unter Null (this takes a while to pick up):

Red Flag (slow but awesome atmosphere):

From Japan, Aural Vampire:

And I completely agree with you about Sopor Aeternus, especially with regards to it being "deeply meaningful personal journey/struggle." I feel like I have some sort of bizarre connection to the music, it reminds me of a lot of stuff. Perhaps dreams, feelings, thoughts, atmospheres and stuff hidden within my subconscious from who knows when or where. It's something I can't even explain. And I don't see much in the way of casual listeners either, it seems that people either can't get into the music, or they are huge fans.

Word. I think every SA fan feels this way. I don't listen to them unless I am in a very dark, bleak way and can devote my full attention and emotions to the music.

And I don't remember which band I linked you to, Castrati maybe? Deadchovsky was also an interesting band. But the French appear to have a fair bit of a scene going on, if you don't mind the vocalists' accents. But I think Soror Dolorosa is a band with a ton of potential. They remind me a bit of Corpus Delicti (a French band but from the 90s). Some of their songs are a bit soft, but I'm hoping they will write more amazing songs like this...

I know there's some compilations that have been put out featuring some underground french bands like this, I'm really interested in hearing what other bands are out there. The point is, it's goth music with the spirit of the early bands but without simply being a clone of Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, or Christian Death, because there's too many of those! I think there's also some good stuff going on in Latin America like this...

I have to say I was never a big lover of Corpus Delicti; that particular track didn't grab me but it's definitely pretty "trve" which is rare it seems now. It was Castrati you linked me to. I'll have to look up Deadchovsky. I think French accents are adorable so I of course don't mind at all.

HOLY BAUHAUS WORSHIP Plastique Noir. I'll have to find more of that ASAP. I'm so jealous; a couple friends from home just saw Peter Murphy in concert a couple days ago. Jerks.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Thanks for the videos, I shall check those out right now. God Module, I actually like some of their stuff, like their cover of Depeche Mode's "Little 15." :)

I'm not sure that I'd say Plastique Noir sound too much like Bauhaus, but either way I like what I've heard from those guys.

And your friends are lucky, no cool bands I like ever come near my area. :(

So what do people think of Madvillain? Or MF doom in general?

I also love the Gentle Giant sample on Strange Ways