The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

Yes. I also like Stephen and Damian Marley and Peter Tosh.

I forgot how good Mos Def is. Went to a friend's house today and he was playing the "True Magic" album. This song makes me very emotional, it's the amazing vocal harmonies and uplifting simplicity I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who thinks The Wall or Animals are anywhere near Floyd's best is retarded. The Wall is pompous, cheesy, loaded with filler and really only has a couple of standouts. Animals is lyrically cringeworthy and musically uninspired and actually I would go so far as to say it's one of their worst. Wish You Were Here, Meddle, DSOTM etc are all way better.

Anyone who thinks The Wall or Animals are anywhere near Floyd's best is retarded. The Wall is pompous, cheesy, loaded with filler and really only has a couple of standouts. Animals is lyrically cringeworthy and musically uninspired and actually I would go so far as to say it's one of their worst. Wish You Were Here, Meddle, DSOTM etc are all way better.

I agree with the albums you're voting for as their "better" releases, but I disagree about Animals being musically uninspired. I think it's one of their more musically challenging pieces, but I don't think that means it's uninspired. It's just denser and less accessible.

I agree that The Wall isn't their best musically, but the concept behind the album is sheer genius, which is why it's my favorite, with DSOTM in second place for the aforementioned reasons as well.

The concept behind The Wall is sheer genius, you're correct; and I've always thought this, and in fact argued a bit with one of my old literature professors about it. I think that the theatricality of the record is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt. It comes across as pompous and pretentious because many people see it as too serious for its own good; but I think that the theatricality is just a ploy.

The album is commenting (partially) on the very nature of the relationship between the artist and the audience. While Waters builds this theatrical, bombastic stage show, he's also lamenting the loss of the intimate, personal relationship he used to have with his audience when the band played small venues. It all stems from the fan whose face Waters spat in when he tried to cross the wire mesh netting between the crowd and the stage. This is an example of, quite literally, the disintegration of the connection between audience and artist. Waters was disgusted by the idol status he'd been awarded, but he was also disgusted by his own behavior toward the fan. Thus, he envisioned a wall being erected around him, sealing himself off from the outside world.

You are all wrong

album-Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here.jpg

This is the best Floyd album.

The concept behind The Wall is sheer genius, you're correct; and I've always thought this, and in fact argued a bit with one of my old literature professors about it. I think that the theatricality of the record is supposed to be taken with a grain of salt. It comes across as pompous and pretentious because many people see it as too serious for its own good; but I think that the theatricality is just a ploy.

The album is commenting (partially) on the very nature of the relationship between the artist and the audience. While Waters builds this theatrical, bombastic stage show, he's also lamenting the loss of the intimate, personal relationship he used to have with his audience when the band played small venues. It all stems from the fan whose face Waters spat in when he tried to cross the wire mesh netting between the crowd and the stage. This is an example of, quite literally, the disintegration of the connection between audience and artist. Waters was disgusted by the idol status he'd been awarded, but he was also disgusted by his own behavior toward the fan. Thus, he envisioned a wall being erected around him, sealing himself off from the outside world.

Yeap, The Wall is like a great novel except presented in the form of a concept album.

I have been really into Mezzanine by Massive Attack after not hearing it for quite some time. It's one of the best albums that I own.

Damn it, this thread has gotten me on a fucking Pink Floyd kick, haha.

Greatest lyrics ever in a song:

Pink Floyd said:
You gotta be crazy, you gotta have a real need.
You gotta sleep on your toes, and when you're on the street,
You gotta be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed.
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight,
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking.

And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

I gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused.
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used.
Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise.
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this
maze?

Deaf, dumb, and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable and no-one has a real friend.
And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
And everything's done under the sun,
And you believe at heart, everyone's a killer.