The thread where you talk about non-metal music you like.

I've been able to listen through Nos Chants Perdus in its entirety four or five times now, and while it's not my favorite Rome record by any means (I wasn't expecting it to be; Masse Mensch Material is hard to beat) it's still a worthy and solid effort. You can't really go wrong with Reuter and Co.

Anyway, the album continues in the vein of Flowers From Exile in that it neglects some of the more "martial" or "industrial" influences in favor of a more traditional folk approach. Acoustic instruments abound, as do orchestral string arrangements. The percussion is not as abrasive as it is on MMM, which was one of the attributes that made that record so appealing and interesting (to me anyway). There's a calmness to the music, similar to Flowers From Exile, and I would even go so far as to say that it might feature some of their most commercially appealing compositions to date (which could alienate some fans of the older material).

The lyrics are, as always, phenomenal. The music is a vehicle for Reuter's philosophical and sociological musings, and here it more than serves its purpose. Although the compositions may not be as interesting as those on their older records, the lyrical themes and delivery are as poignant as ever. Each track is also accompanied by a quote from various historical and literary figures such as Kierkegaard and Proust (the quotes are in their original language though, just to warn you :cool:).

There are a few surprises on the record though, such as the penultimate track "La Rose Et La Hache," which features an accordion and is basically a traditional European waltz. After hearing it, I shouldn't have been surprised; but it was a bit of a shock to hear Rome play something in that vein. The final track on the album is an interesting addition as well. "Chanson De Geste" is played in a major key, and the acoustic guitars take a back seat. Instead, basses and/or cellos, played in a pizzicato technique, provide the groundwork and rhythm for the song while some other string and percussion instruments (I'm not sure exactly what's being used) play the melodic passages with a reverb effect. The song gives off a strange vibe, almost tropical I want to say; but it's absolutely a fine dose of irony, for while the music appears to harbor a sunny disposition, the lyrics are as serious as ever (the final refrain being the phrase "Die by the axe" repeated over and over again).

Out of ten, I'd probably give the record a seven. This may, of course, change, as did my interpretations and opinions of Rome's earlier records after further extensive listening. There's still lots of magic here, and the songwriting, while simple, is gorgeous, and the lyrical quality is superb as always.

EDIT: here's a sample from youtube. It actually features one of the more interesting and prominent percussion performances on the album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great project, I'll never forget that blackout night awhile ago where I just stared out the window at the surprisingly bright (for 1am) sky and listened to Rome. It was beyond epic and dare I say spiritual. In general, great reflective/nostalgic music.

744_11_16_2006_3_37_33_dogman.jpg

One of the best rock albums ever

Heard this for the first time in a while the other night, rather interesting Aussie stuff from Perth.

Last edited by a moderator: