The "What Are You Doing This Moment" Thread

Eating chocolate and watching the Stockholm riots. It's shaping up to be the fifth night in a row of arabs and Somalis burning their own cars and throwing rocks through their neighbours' store windows.

I think I'm done with reddit and Facebook for a while. Both because they don't help my short attention span and reddit because I'm realizing more and more how much of a layman echo chamber it can be. I've been spending a lot of time living behind a computer screen for years and it's about time I stop. I'll still get on to find new music to listen to or books to read, but that's pretty much it. I'm getting sick of wasting days mindlessly browsing reddit and not remembering anything.

Also, living through the internet has desensitized me to the outside world. It's made me categorize things by a very narrow definition of interesting. It's gotten rid of my appreciation for the ordinary. I talk to a person, they tell me about their day, and the back of my mind is going, "oh, work's not going well? Boring. I'd care what you're saying if you found a new species of dung beetle that makes milk taste like lemons." I've spent so much time mindlessly examining text and tiny snippets of huge topics I don't even grasp or remember that my interests are barely even there and I hardly care about anything. Also, I just keep getting bombarded with how little I know about the world on a regular basis, rather than fucking learning.

This is part of a larger problem. My internet use has only worsened my issue with always wanting to escape from the situation I'm in while paradoxically trapping me, sitting behind a screen clicking away to look at different things I don't react to or remember. I neglect my hobbies, friendships, future, and passions just for instant "gratification" which is really just a split second of "I see this. I'm bored. Now I see this. Now I'm bored again. Repeat."