Traditional Doom Metal

You're missing Pentagram from this list.

pentegram is ok, i guess...but don't you think the fact that they sound exactly like black sabbath take a little bit away from them? i can listen to them for maybe 10 minutes before just turning on black sabbath instead.

haha, ok. i'm not gonna argue. let's just assume you are listening to the wrong pentagram. maybe i just have a heavily influenced by sabbath album and they changed after it. all i have to go by is "be forewarned". i swear some of the riffs were actually stolen from sabbath and the vocals are so goddamned eerily close to ozzys right down to the "oh yeah babys"

well maybe i will check out the self-titled. it's not that i don't like them. i mean they try a little bit to get away from the sabbath sound. the drums sound different

haha, ok. i'm not gonna argue. let's just assume you are listening to the wrong pentagram. maybe i just have a heavily influenced by sabbath album and they changed after it. all i have to go by is "be forewarned". i swear some of the riffs were actually stolen from sabbath and the vocals are so goddamned eerily close to ozzys right down to the "oh yeah babys"

Oh, okay. I have never heard 'Be Forewarned'. I'm only going off of Day of Reckoning and the self-titled

well maybe i will check out the self-titled. it's not that i don't like them. i mean they try a little bit to get away from the sabbath sound. the drums sound different

I'm assuming that you don't know a whole lot about Traditional Doom Metal in general if Pentagram is the band you're pinning the Sabbath copycat tag on. Pentagram was damn near a contemporary of Sabbath, having formed in 1972 I believe, releasing several demos and singles throughout the 70s and early 80s, until they finally landed a record deal and released two albums in the mid to late 80s. The took much more influence from bands like Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore than Black Sabbath, though the obvious monolith of Sabbath of course looms large over all Doom Metal that followed in their wake, even to this day. Liebling most likely borrowed the "ooh yeah"s more from the Rolling Stones (whom they've actually covered) than Black Sabbath, actually. They had a much more rock oriented approach than Sabbath in many ways. With all that said, I suggest you check out their early works, and I would also say that you don't know what you're talking about if you think that Be Forwarned of all of their albums is a Sabbath ripoff. :)

HellsPleasureFlyer.jpg

I'm assuming that you don't know a whole lot about Traditional Doom Metal in general if Pentagram is the band you're pinning the Sabbath copycat tag on. Pentagram was damn near a contemporary of Sabbath, having formed in 1972 I believe, releasing several demos and singles throughout the 70s and early 80s, until they finally landed a record deal and released two albums in the mid to late 80s. The took much more influence from bands like Blue Cheer and Sir Lord Baltimore than Black Sabbath, though the obvious monolith of Sabbath of course looms large over all Doom Metal that followed in their wake, even to this day. Liebling most likely borrowed the "ooh yeah"s more from the Rolling Stones (whom they've actually covered) than Black Sabbath, actually. They had a much more rock oriented approach than Sabbath in many ways. With all that said, I suggest you check out their early works, and I would also say that you don't know what you're talking about if you think that Be Forwarned of all of their albums is a Sabbath ripoff. :)

eh, i know what i'm talking about. you people sometimes need to jump down off your self righteous pedestals because to me it sounds like sabbath rip off. since you don't notice it, you are wrong in my opinion. and it's not ooh yeahs from stones, christ.

Compared to a lot of other bands, Pentagram is pretty fucking far from a Black Sabbath knock-off. That's also an immense injustice to the band. Especially considering the only thing you've heard from them was Be Forewarned.

Dude, Nec knows much more about doom metal than most people on this forum. He's pretty much right, considering on the first two Pentagram albums, Liebling sounds nothing like Ozzy Osbourne.

i know all about nec. just listen to the song "live free and burn" then honestly tell me that doesn't sound like a long lost sabbath tune. christ they even say "hand of doom" then on the next tune "too late" he even says "hole in the sky" all the while copying ozzys vocal style. i mean i don't really know what to say if no one else notices the similarities. i'm mindboggled i guess. the lyrics are similar, the vocals, the bass and the guitars. nec was basically saying that they were both developing similar styles at the same time and i can accept that. they just sound very similar to me.

So, you're saying because one song sounds like a Sabbath tune they immediately sound like Sabbath? You really need to listen to the first two Pentagram albums before making a judgement like this.

By your logic, the entire genre of Tradtional Doom Metal is a Black Sabbath knock-off.

all i am saying is that in this particular album by pentagram, they sound exactly like early black sabbath. i'm not taking into account irrelevant things that you two are talking about. i'm just comparing "be forewarned". earlier albums have nothing to do with my comparison.