Traditional Doom Metal

So, you're saying because one song sounds like a Sabbath tune they immediately sound like Sabbath? You really need to listen to the first two Pentagram albums before making a judgement like this.

it's not just one song. it's the entire album. give it a fresh listen. i mean it's not a big enough deal to keep this argument alive. i'm just making a personal observation. check out these lyrics:

Walking the streets again tonight
Casting my shadow into the light
The hand of doom has taken me away
Evil forces calling and I'm their prey
You can see the sin within my eyes
I'm heading for my fate and its no suprise
Spending my time on satan's deceptions
Yes I'm falling, falling in his direction
Scared and lonely your wasting your time
You've got to give in theres nowhere to hide
Coming events are closing you in
You can't hide away your fears again

and these:

Where in hell are we going
Cause heaven just can't wait
There's a hole in the sky
And there's dreams a dying
And I wonder if it's too late, too late
Oh yeah - listen
Can't eat, can't drink, can't breathe the air
Drowning in a pool of hate
Losing time, losing our minds
And I wonder if its too late, too late
Thundering clouds, sixteen hooves
Trumpets fill the air
All your sins, gonna seal your fate
Cause I think that its too late, too late - yea

Thought i'd ask this here. Is the first Reverend Bizarre worth picking up? I have II: Crush the Insects and III: So Long Suckers. How does it compare?

Thought i'd ask this here. Is the first Reverend Bizarre worth picking up? I have II: Crush the Insects and III: So Long Suckers. How does it compare?

It's much better than Crush the Insects. Slower, doomier, and more emotional. I haven't heard So Long Suckers so I can't compare.

Lord Kur: Listen to earlier Pentagram, and listen to other Doom Metal bands. You'll find that Pentagram sound no more like Black Sabbath than hundreds of other bands do. It's no secret that much of the music is directly derived from that original sound, and it's unavoidable that certain riffs will come around again. But I still say it's a grave injustice to call Pentagram a Sabbath clone, even on the basis of Be Forewarned, which is not nearly the best representation of the band and their sound.

ok nec i have heard tons of doom i'm not 15 years old (i'm 35) i've listened to earlier pentagram now and i would have never said those earlier albums are copycat sabbath. the fact remains (and my point) that "be forewarned" sounds a hell of a lot like sabbath. nothing you can say will ever make me change my mind. i don't understand why they evolved? into a sabbath worship band. that's weird. you can think it doesn't sound like sabbath if you want but you would be wrong because it does. and the lyrics are even just like sabbath lyrics. it's a pretty cool album, though since i listened to it about 4 times today just to se if i was losing my mind.

I listened to Be Forwarned for the first time today and I see your point about the Sabbath influences. However, it was still different enough not to be called blatant Sabbath-worship.

I'm soon to be addicted to the song "The World Will Love Again" off that album.

ok nec i have heard tons of doom i'm not 15 years old (i'm 35) i've listened to earlier pentagram now and i would have never said those earlier albums are copycat sabbath. the fact remains (and my point) that "be forewarned" sounds a hell of a lot like sabbath. nothing you can say will ever make me change my mind. i don't understand why they evolved? into a sabbath worship band. that's weird. you can think it doesn't sound like sabbath if you want but you would be wrong because it does. and the lyrics are even just like sabbath lyrics. it's a pretty cool album, though since i listened to it about 4 times today just to se if i was losing my mind.

That album does have more "Sabbathy" influences, but this is due to the fact that newer members to the band stepped up on the songwriting quite a bit. The Bobby Liebling-penned songs are furthest removed from that sound. The only songs Liebling wrote were Nightmare Gown, Be Forewarned (both of which are very old songs), Frustration, Ask No More, and Petrified (co-written with the drummer).

I've only heard In The Rectory and, as Zeph said, it's crushing and extremely awesome. I'll add that it feels very heartfelt, like they put everything they had into making the album. It's definitely worth buying.

Lord Kur: Yes Pentagram is influenced by and in Be Forewarned makes direct references to Black Sabbath lyrics. But you can't make the argument that they were a Sabbath sound-a-like. A lot of their material is much different, listen to First Daze Here. Also, the "oh yeah", "alright", and "baby" vocal lines were found in Blue Cheer and other late 60s early 70s prog/psych/fuzz rock albums... Pentagram sound as much like Black Sabbath as they do Thin Lizzy, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc. Edit: Or like Necuratul said, any other classic doom album.

Lord Kur: Yes Pentagram is influenced by and in Be Forewarned makes direct references to Black Sabbath lyrics. But you can't make the argument that they were a Sabbath sound-a-like. A lot of their material is much different, listen to First Daze Here. Also, the "oh yeah", "alright", and "baby" vocal lines were found in Blue Cheer and other late 60s early 70s prog/psych/fuzz rock albums... Pentagram sound as much like Black Sabbath as they do Thin Lizzy, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc. Edit: Or like Necuratul said, any other classic doom album.

i wasn't referring to "a lot of their material" i was referring to the album "be forewarned". i have listened to their other material and it is much different. how many times do i have to say this? nec makes a good point about the other members but for some reason even the vocals in THE ALBUM I AM REFERRING TO are more like ozzy than they are in the other material. so you people and your constant references to the other albums is very irrelevant to my point.

I missed reading the post where you said you checked out the other albums, nevermind.

HellsPleasureFlyer.jpg

Are pre-orders up yet for Mythical & Magical?

Yes. The first album is a classic. The second album is a step down, but still good.

Pretty much what Nec said. I think the first EP is their best accually, but it is included in the first album is it's all good.

I need to get pretty much everything on that flyer btw. Pagan Altar has become one of those few bands that I have everything on every format on. :p

That's the original 1982 tape and reel-to-reel master of Judgment Of The Dead/Volume 1.