Traditional Doom Metal

Saw Valkyrie live the other night at a small club in Harrisonburg, Virginia and I was totally ass raped by the riffs in the live setting. Though the vocals were clearly a little off as the singer couldn't hit all the notes, he made up for it with some sweet improv on the guitar. The best part of the whole was that everyone at the club was friends with the band so it was real casual and got to hear some shit they wrote before they got signed. I was able to meet them after the show and other then being total geeks they were genuinely nice guys who knew their doom m/

Lucky you, I'd love to see Valkyrie live. But I must say that their last album was pretty much straight heavy metal, very little in the way of doom in it.

I agree, later Katatonia has this dark, damp sound. While earlier Katatonia is sad, it doesn't have the same level of darkness as later Katatonia. It's kinda hard to explain. But if you think about it, both early and newer Katatonia exhibit a different kind of sadness. Early Katatonia, with its melodic lines, reverb, and growls, gives off a sorrowful, sort of angry, "nocturnal howling at the moon" type of sadness. Meanwhile, later Katatonia gives off an urban, almost drug induced vibe of suicidal sadness.

I always think of recent Katatonia (particularly The Great Cold Distance) as possessing an urban apocalyptic depression. Definitely a cool vibe.

Back to trad doom though, Ereb Altor is pretty damn epic. And I agree that when I listen to most trad. doom like Candlemass or Solstice, I don't feel sad. A lot of trad. doom is just awesome, epic, and empowering. Songs like Bewitched are singalong awesomefests that are wonderfully upbeat.

Ereb Altor owns.

391955.jpg

391953.jpg

its 2 pics..album covers more than likely with the name Warning on it mate

nevermind, its the 2 Warning demos re-released on the Watching from a Distance CD remaster...you grab that Dodens? how are the demos? is that copy rare? Wouldn't mind picking that up

rms: The Warning demos were reissued on a second disc of the die hard version of the original release of Watching from a Distance called The Right Hand of Doom. Unfortunately it was only limited to 250 copies. I'm sure eventually it will be reissued separately again, as that was Rich's original intention, but for whatever reason it was changed. Anyway, the demos fucking rule, and don't really sound like the Warning you know. Basically think Black Sabbath plus Saint Vitus. Pat even sounds like Wino in a lot of parts. Very heavy and more uptempo than the later stuff.

Rumpole: I'm fairly confident that's a bootleg. They like to release unofficial things on NunSlaughter Records.

are there any Lake of Tears fans here? i've been meaning to check these guys out for years literally,was thinking about picking up Headstones and A Crimson Cosmos,these guys anygood or what ?

Here's a Warning song off of the first demo:

This is not the Warning you know! This is when they were extremely traditionalist about their doom. Pure Sabbath/WFG/Vitus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumpole: I'm fairly confident that's a bootleg. They like to release unofficial things on NunSlaughter Records.

I guess you saw Rich's reply on Hellride, so I'll be picking this up for sure. Also, I just got the Harbinger Of Metal DLP in the mail this afternoon and it's a beautiful release! Very high quality packaging and sounds great too.

what do you guys think of Saint Vitus debut and die healing? and what about Penance The Road Revisited...never listened to Penance yet and got V and I think Born Too Late from Vitus, havent totally grabbed me yet but only given each like 4 listens

I just got Die Healing and it's a fantastic album. Extremely heavy and Reagers' vocals are excellent, really good lyrics too, So far I'd say I like it more than Born Too Late, but Hallow's Victim is still my favourite.

I guess you saw Rich's reply on Hellride, so I'll be picking this up for sure. Also, I just got the Harbinger Of Metal DLP in the mail this afternoon and it's a beautiful release! Very high quality packaging and sounds great too.

I just saw it now actually...I can't help but get suspicious when I see NunSlaughter Records on a CD that I didn't already know was supposed to be coming out. I'll have to get this eventually.

what do you guys think of Saint Vitus debut and die healing? and what about Penance The Road Revisited...never listened to Penance yet and got V and I think Born Too Late from Vitus, havent totally grabbed me yet but only given each like 4 listens

I haven't heard Die Healing, but I have Saint Vitus. It's superb, definitely the best Saint Vitus album I have (which is everything except Die Healing and Hallow's Victim). For Penance, I've only heard Spiritualnatural, but it's really good, so I would assume that anything before it would be just as safe a bet.

At this point in time, yes, though Dave Chandler said in an interview earlier this year or late last year that they got the rights to the early albums again and wanted to reissue them, but I don't know when the fuck that will ever happen.

I'll have to look into that. I have mp3s of the album and it's excellent but almost not really doom at times. There are several mid to fast-paced sections.