Traditional Doom Metal

Solstice
Candlemass
Solitude Aeternus
Warning

These are the trad doom bands I like most. They actually sound sorrowful, whereas a good amount of trad doom sounds like slow, bluesy metal to my ears.

How so? I've been looking forward to this for ages. Do you know where it's available from?

So was I. :(

It's hard to describe because the actual music isnt bad tbh. It just seems like they are going through the motions and lacks the "oomph" that the previous two releases had. It's like they lost their balls or something. Pick it up and judge for yourself but I would skip it and wait for the Hour of 13 instead. :)

Also, I have no idea why nobody is mentioning Orodruin, since they are the best current Doom Metal band in existence. I've heard three new songs from their upcoming album @ DOBD Fest last year and they all smoke. It's going to be fucking amazing.:kickass:

Orodruin is great yeah, not sure if it is the best active band today though. Fall of the Idols ranks pretty high too, and ofcourse Pagan Altar (even though their newest album is maybe their worst yet, and not very doomy compared to their earlier releases).

Revelation :kickass:

I've been trying to find Salvation's Answer on CD for a reasonable price. I have the tape.

How do their other releases (which typically sell for less) compare?

Never Comes Silence is just as good, if not better than Salvations Answer. It's probably my favorite Revelation album. It was just rereleased earlier this year on Leaf Hound Records. Yet So Far leans more towards a Solitude Aeturnus vibe, yet still maintaining somewhat of the old Revelation sound. Dennis Cornelius handles the vocal duties on that one. I highly recommend Oversoul - Seven Days In November if you dig Yet So Far. It's Cornelius' other band, who just released a killer demo under the new moniker of Dwell Within. It's one of my favorite albums of this decade.

You can download the Dwell Within - Monkshood demo for free at the Bland Hand Records website, where the Against Nature albums are available as well...who I'm sure you have heard by now if you are a Revelation fan.

Also, in case you didn't know, Revelation are back together and will be releasing a new album sometime next year. They have already written a handful of songs. Quality people.

So was I. :(

It's hard to describe because the actual music isnt bad tbh. It just seems like they are going through the motions and lacks the "oomph" that the previous two releases had. It's like they lost their balls or something. Pick it up and judge for yourself but I would skip it and wait for the Hour of 13 instead. :)

Also, I have no idea why nobody is mentioning Orodruin, since they are the best current Doom Metal band in existence. I've heard three new songs from their upcoming album @ DOBD Fest last year and they all smoke. It's going to be fucking amazing.:kickass:

I listened to the new UoE samples on myspace a while ago and it sounded like they were going in a bit more of a 70s, rockier direction, which is ok by me.

I'll definitely be getting Hour of 13, it really sounds like it's gonna kick some serious arse. :kickass: Seamount too, I can't wait until they put something out. Phil Swanson would have to be one of my favourite vocalists at the moment, so fucking great.

Never Comes Silence is just as good, if not better than Salvations Answer. It's probably my favorite Revelation album. It was just rereleased earlier this year on Leaf Hound Records. Yet So Far leans more towards a Solitude Aeturnus vibe, yet still maintaining somewhat of the old Revelation sound. Dennis Cornelius handles the vocal duties on that one. I highly recommend Oversoul - Seven Days In November if you dig Yet So Far. It's Cornelius' other band, who just released a killer demo under the new moniker of Dwell Within. It's one of my favorite albums of this decade.

You can download the Dwell Within - Monkshood demo for free at the Bland Hand Records website, where the Against Nature albums are available as well...who I'm sure you have heard by now if you are a Revelation fan.

Also, in case you didn't know, Revelation are back together and will be releasing a new album sometime next year. They have already written a handful of songs. Quality people.

Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

Actually I have not heard of Dwell Within. I got this Revelation cassette years ago cheap and didn't give it much of a listen until recently. So I only discovered I like them this past year.

I'll check this stuff out, though.

Thanks again.

http://myspace.com/lordvicar

Lord Vicar (obviously the band of Lord Vicar, ex-Reverend Bizarre guitarist)

One track up of a rough mix from their upcoming 7" to be released by I Hate Records called The Demon Of Freedom.

From Blabbermouth...

Writing is nearly complete for what will easily be one of the doom-laden heavy metal highlights in 2008, namely the new THE GATES OF SLUMBER album, in which the trio have christened "Conqueror".

According to a press release, "Conqueror" "will continue the promise laid down with their doom trodden 'Awakening' debut and the surging powerful acclaimed epic 'Suffer No Guilt' (along with the several splits and EPs they've been involved with, the most recent ones being the Relapse Records released split 7" with THE DREAM IS DEAD, and the split CD with Finnish act SPIRITUS MORTIS). In what will be a continuation from 'Suffer No Guilt' with the songs being more to the point but still encompassing that epic fervor, surging melody, and that crushing doom-like vibe inherent within their style, 'Conqueror' will easily prove that THE GATES OF SLUMBER are one of North America's most exceptional acts within this sphere of heavy metal."

Says the group's record label, "It is through bands like THE GATES OF SLUMBER in which the ideal vision of where we at Profound Lore like to see heavy metal headed in the future, as opposed to all the processed dime-a-dozen pseudo metal bands in which continue to plague the genre today and smear the values of what real heavy metal should encompass. Simply put: THE GATES OF SLUMBER are the complete antithesis of artificial metal."

Songtitles set to appear on "Conqueror" include "Black River", "Eyes Of The Liar", and "Witch Throne". The band plans on entering Volume Studios with Sanford Parker (UNEARTHLY TRANCE, MINSK, PELICAN, NACHTMYSTIUM etc.) early-to-mid January to commit "Conqueror" to tape. A mid-May release is expected.
Fuck yeah! Can't wait for this one.

I wouldn't say that it's overrated, but I'm just fucking sick of hearing about it over and over again.

What the fucking fuck suck, no one has mentioned Grand Magus? They rule doom-land. They sound like Manowar would sound if they had real lumberjack muscles instead of oiled fitness ones.

re: Warning - it's one in the same thing. it is OVERRATED. few albums have left me so disappointed after so much hype. it was between ok and good. but the amount that people talk about it, you'd think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.