Traditional Doom Metal

BOOOO!

Why the hell did they do that? The old guy was great. I loved the vocals they had. Disappointing.

edit: He sounds like modern day axl rose...

Oh shit, now I'm hesitant to check out the new Hour of 13 track. I heard the instrumental song that was posted a week back and that was fine. I'm pretty picky with my doom vocalists so this isn't looking good.

edit: yeah this vocalist is pretty terrible. He's way over-singing.

Haha, way over singing! The vocals don't even match the musical feeling. I don't know what they were thinking. Looks like they will be re-recording vocals for the track, so it will be interesting to see where they go from here.

I think it's pretty good. I guess his voice is more regular HM than 'occult worshipping' hm that Hour of 13 plays...you guys read the comments he posts on NWN and stuff? strange dude :loco:

The first point that needs to be made is that Hour of 13 was never essentially a doom metal band. In case that wasn't entirely overt by the fact that half of the riffs are lifted from Judas Priest songs. Secondly, Phil Swanson is entirely a one trick pony. And his best work is in his new band (actually Howie Bentley's new band), Briton Rites, which also happens to be the best band Swanson has ever been in. Finally, the vocals on the new track are not bad. On first listen, not knowing what to expect, jarring yes, but for anybody who actually listens to real fucking heavy metal every once in a while and taking note of the fact that this is a random rehearsal demo recording, I really don't have much to complain about here. Reminds me of lots of 80s US power metal singers and Ian Gillan. Guy just needs to learn to reel it in a bit.

I thought the song itself was pretty much lackluster too. For some reason it sounds like riffs from the first album by them, just inverted or something. I guess Swanson is kind of a one-trick pony, yeah, but his vocal work on the Seamount debut is excellent for the most part. Wouldn't rather any other vocals for that part than his (or Ozzy's, I guess).

Being serious though, I love the guy but his vocal approach is pretty much exactly the same for every band he sings in. That can be said of a lot of vocalist, probably most in fact, but I guess I can see what Dodens is saying in that regard.

Phil Swanson sounds pretty much exactly the same with every single note that he sings. He has no range. He sounds the same (same pitch, same intonation, etc.) in every single project he's ever worked in. I have no problem with Phil (I actually bought a handful of great semi-rare LPs from him for cheap before). I don't know where that came from, though I do know that others have problems with him and that he's supposedly hard to work with. I also never said that he was bad. I just said that he was only capable of one thing, and it does get tedious when it's carried over through half a dozen bands within a span of a few years. I seriously hope he just sticks to Briton Rites (and Seamount, about whom I'm pretty indifferent) at this point. I think his vocals fit Briton Rites better than anything else he's done so far.