Traditional Doom Metal

Chad is a great vocalist. There is a live performance of him singing and he adds this really eerie atmosphere to there sound. He's different, but I'm just excited to hear more from them. Fuckers need to hit up Chicago.

inb4 rms talks shit about Hof13

haha you remembered, I wonder if he will keep Phil away this time, he must sell records to buy moar skulls

Ah shit I guess that's the band leaders name dude, my Ho13 hate knowledge is getting weak. I don't get how this sounds different from anything they've done, this song still sounds like it comes from the debut except he is using more vocal layers than Kanye West

I was debating the other day if Trouble is considered traditional. I mean they are in the sense that they're one of the forefathers of the genre as a whole, and there doesn't really seem to be anywhere else they'd fit as they're a bit too exciting to be stoner. But does anyone else think they're kind of weird and need a different definition? Almost like... surf doom.

The band's Facebook.

Also, I feel like Trouble's early albums are tarnished by their Christian whining... It makes me enjoy the music less and therefore want to listen to it less.

I always took traditional to be a catch-all for earlier bands that don't fit in the other sub-genres, and if I recall correctly, we share this definition.

They just have a very different sound to them than other trad doom bands. I know, all music is unique etc, but Trouble always elicits a borderline pin-up rockabilly feel to me. Unique amongst doom.

So anyone want to rec me some more bands similar to Fall of the Idols or The Wounded Kings? Been pounding their discographies lately.

^ Word. Btw did you or anyone else hear the new The Wounded King's album Consolamentum? I bought the download off amazon because I couldn't wait to listen. Listening now actually :D

I'll check out griftegard

^ Word. Btw did you or anyone else hear the new The Wounded King's album Consolamentum? I bought the download off amazon because I couldn't wait to listen. Listening now actually :D

I haven't listened to it yet. I bought it along with Mael Mordha's two latest from Ominous Domain.

Speaking of which, fans of traditional doom and Primordial should give Mael Mordha a shot. They've got a Celtic folk + doom metal vibe that works really well I think. Most of my family's roots come from the area though, so I may be biased.

The S/T is my personal favorite, but Psalm 9 is the one I'd recommend in general. Definitely their heaviest and most influential anyways, and has more thrash(-y) riffs than what even a lot of the early speed/thrash bands did at the time.

EDIT: The first five are all excellent though.

Trouble
Manic Frustration
The Skull
Psalm 9

Honestly couldn't care less for the rest of them. These four are worth multiple listens though, daily, for the rest of your life.

I'll never understand why almost no one appreciates Run to the Light. I think it's because it doesn't fit into either their doom metal period or their stonery period, and so people have fits being unable to deal with things that don't fit into neat boxes and expectations.

I'm not of the camp that thinks it's terrible, I'm just of the camp that would rather listen to other albums if I wanna hear Trouble.

I think it's kind of a weird album, to be honest. It's just wrong to me, like Black Sabbath's 'Born Again', despite it's potential as a game changer. Probably what you're describing, and especially as someone who started off with s/t and Manic Frustration.

Edit: I just discovered that Black Sabbath album recently, I think it was you actually Tech who posted it. Ian Gillan on vocals? I thought it had to be amazing! Alas something wasn't right.