Upcoming Album... Anyone worried?

Listen to every solo he's done since the Orchid days, all in a row, you'll hear it. ;)

....sorry, that's the best response I can come up with at the moment. I'm too busy to splice them together. If someone can, that would be sweet. :)

Not that I agree with him, but the solos on Hours of Wealth and Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere But Not Here sound quite similar...

In response to the solos, i submit that he does have some "signature licks" that pop up in solos, but i would never say that his solos sound too similar to be appreciated. I should say that he's perhaps my favorite soloist, up there with Gilmour and Lattimer, so perhaps I'm biased.

I seem to recall that Oinkness is the same guy who emailed me recently and asked me to end Opeth and "realize it's over" or something like that. Now he's complaining about my solos. I grant you your opinion, but I can't understand why you're opinionated about a band you clearly are not a fan of anymore?

And the blues solo comment I simply don't understand. Are you saying all blues players are repeating themselves? How about jazz players? Are they too just recycling their ideas? Or metal players, or any player with any style whatsoever?

But as I said, to each his own....

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6453740 said:
I seem to recall that Oinkness is the same guy who emailed me recently and asked me to end Opeth and "realize it's over" or something like that. Now he's complaining about my solos. I grant you your opinion, but I can't understand why you're opinionated about a band you clearly are not a fan of anymore?

And the blues solo comment I simply don't understand. Are you saying all blues players are repeating themselves? How about jazz players? Are they too just recycling their ideas? Or metal players, or any player with any style whatsoever?

Cheers
Mike

lol, oinkness is probably sad about that you didn't wave back at him at some consert :p No but people can become arrogant after listening to a band too much thinking they know better than everyone else.

Mike already owned the dumbass fans in the GR bonus DVD. And if Oinkness really emailed him to end the band, that's quite pathetic. If you don't like Opeth anymore, then stop listening to them and wasting other fans' time with your posts.

Every guitarist have their "sweethearts"...it can be licks, scales, chord progressions or anything you can think of...it's things like that, that identify one as a guitarist. Mikael for sure has found his personal solo style, and there's not alot of guitarists out there with such feeling and thought behind every solo anymore, he is one of the few guitarists that still can make intresting solos. I can agree with oinkness on the fact that peter was a creative genious with the solos... but let's be honest, he never quite reached to mikaels levels.
Wasn't oinkness one of NFUs brainwashed apprentices? :D

Cheers
Mike
If by recently you mean months ago, then sure. And I didn't say to end the band. You obviously didn't understand a word I was saying, so I responded, and never heard from you again after that. I assumed you realized what I was talking about at that point, and it really pisses me off that you wouldn't respond to me personally and instead bring it to the forum months later.

Plus I never said I wasn't a fan of Opeth... if that were the case, I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be messaging, and I wouldn't own CDs and various merch... I didn't say everyone was recycling ideas either. :p

antipunx13 said:
Not that I agree with him, but the solos on Hours of Wealth and Porcupine Tree's Arriving Somewhere But Not Here sound quite similar...

That's one example I had in mind.... :)

BurningSky said:
In response to the solos, i submit that he does have some "signature licks" that pop up in solos

That's all I was saying.

If by recently you mean months ago, then sure. And I didn't say to end the band. You obviously didn't understand a word I was saying, so I responded, and never heard from you again after that. I assumed you got it through your head that second time but apparently you didn't. :(

That's one example. :)

That's all I was saying.

that was not what you were saying at all o_O
you really need to get a grip...

that was not what you were saying at all o_O
you really need to get a grip...
Come on dude, I didn't say every solo he's ever done is exactly the same. There's a lot of great ones. I'm just saying there's a lot of stuff he repeats, the "signature licks". My argument isn't that he sucks or should stop (why do people put these words in my mouth?) it was just that Peter had a more complex style that was harder to put a finger on, he repeated less of what you'd call a signature lick and for that I really respected the guy.

Granted I didn't use the best phrase when saying his solos get old. His solos on Ghost Reveries, with the use of the whammy bar, are really sweet. They're memorable too. They've got his familiar licks but for the most part, they're good. I'm serious about the lick being on each CD and all I'm saying is that when it's so easy to do solos in the studio, especially with improvising, there isn't really a need to use the same part on every CD... :(

But yeah, I'll get a grip. I was beginning to get comfortable with bitching again, which--despite being fun--is not a good thing to do. :)

Cheers
Mike

All players repeat themselves...there are comfort licks and patterns...repetition is something that defines a players style and gives them the ability to be recognized. It's not always a negative thing.

Personally, I hope they get softer, but not in the Damnation pseudo-proggy rock kind of way, more in the direction of their songs like Patterns in the Ivy, Benighted, that Indian sounding song on GR (name slips my mind atm, Hours of Wealth?), etc...

I DEFINITELY want to see less stop-start riffage ala Deliverance and a significant portion of GR. I want gut wrenching solos (read: not flashy ones), powerful vocal performances (the vocals on Ghost of Perdition are amazing, a highlight of that album), and melancholic guitar playing.

The best part about GR were that some of the melodies were drastically different from Opeth's previous material, and I want to see them continue in that direction just WITHOUT the stop-start Deliverancy riffing.

I am worried though what affect Peter's departure will have on the solos, like Oikness said.

I think it would be cool if Opeth just did what they wanted to do... Err I mean, if Mike would just do with Opeth what he has wanted to do. He's influenced by Camel, he collects 70s~ prog records, I think he said Damnation was his favorite Opeth album, and I remember in the guitar.com interview when they were explaining how to play Drapery Falls, he said he was more into those "old man" riffs like he called it. It would be interesting if the next Opeth album had no death and was just a big piece of Prog like Mike would like to make. He writes all the songs on an acoustic guitar too, if I remember correctly -- I bet you could turn most of the heavy riffs into acoustic versions, apart from the new powerchord on-and-off riffing like WNxScythe mentioned... I could definitely hear the ending of Moonlapse Vertigo in acoustic, as well as the whole song pretty much...

So in conclusion, yeah.... whatever :lol:

The chocolate could be cleansed of all peanut butters