Upcoming Album... Anyone worried?

Apology accepted dude! Thanks!

It's extremely difficult for me to say exactly what it's going to sound like, but I feel inspired, we have a great bunch of musicians in the band whose abilities will be put to the test and utilized. However, not in a widdly widdly sense, but in a pure musical and selective sense. Opeth has never been about showing off, and that's something that will remain until the end. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope it's going to be a good record.

Well, I kinda know it's going to be great....

I like blastbeats too....

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6456944 said:
Hmm, it's going well.

I've been working quite hard. Our goal is to have an overload of material this time. I have close to 5 songs finished. I've been brainstorming lyrics too, but have nothing completed. I've gotten demos from Per, Mendez and Fredrik as well. I don't know right now any word to describe the overall feel other than "dark", but it's obvious I'd say that.

One song is the fastest one I've ever written, one is almost like a gimmick type mid 70´s ballad, one is extremely dark middle eastern sounding heavy piece with lots of major chords actually, one is super tech death metal with influences from Scott Walker and Morbid Angel. One song reminds me of the Cure's "Lullaby" but in 3/4 with bluesy vocals. Yes, it sounds scary but really it's pretty cool! I even did a Fender Rhodes Chick Corea sounding piece that'll be a love or hate moment for many if it makes the record. We'll be demoing stuff during September and start rehearsals in October and record in November. I think it will be more faster than GR but also wierder than any other record, maybe more versatile than ever before.

Fredrik has laid down some solos on my demos and they are great! Everything from twisted Holdsworth licks to bluesy stuff and there's one long trade off bit with me and him. Also a ripping Hammond solo by Per.

My vocals are stronger too. I've cut back on the smokes and really it made a difference for my clean voice. I have a wider range and can sing better overall with more control. The death voice is still intact as well....oh yes!

You asked, so...

Cheers my friends
Mike

Sorry my bad English; "cut back smokes" means "stop smoking", is that right?

Somewhere I read that a singer, I can't remeber the one but probably the current Iced Earth's, began improving his sing abilities after smoking twice the normal! :lol:

Obviuosly I quoted the message I got the sentence from, but it's clear the "question" is for every one..

wow, i just tuned into this thread and it reads like a bold and the beautiful script. im actually surprised mike responded to that moron. anyways, moving on, just thought id share this with you...

Date: 30 Jun 2007, 02:09 AM

Recording new stuff with Mike wich is going really well
musically and chemestry wise(the spelling suck i know lol). and getting ready for the first gig...Exited yes i am.
All the best
Fredrik

and this one...

Hi Andrew,

Well the gig went good no mistakes so i'm happy..
After a couple of songs i started to relax and just enjoying myself and it was a great feeling to play with
this great band and these awsome songs...good times.

Ok i should write something on the forum.

Cheers
Fredrik

there you go guys..

holy crap theres so much good stuff coming up its amazing. Halo 3, hopefully some bloodbath related something, a new mr bean movie, roundhouse tapes, and the new opeth sounds like it will be amazing. Cant wait Mike!

Man, I'm glad I came back in this thread! To see that fool Oinkness get his "come-uppance" is awesome, and seeing Mike's comments about the new album is so welcome! I am still in awe over "My vocals are stronger too". Is it really possible to improve on perfection? Ha ha, just kidding, but Mike, you are without a doubt ALREADY one of the best rock/metal vocalists ever IMHO, and to think you are getting even better is just scary!!!

God damn, I can't wait for this album!!!!! :headbang:

Samsara: Thank you so much for banning Oinkness.

Mike: Thanks for the update. It definitely sounds like it's going to kick ass. I can't wait for Per's organ solo. Also, the jazzy jam thing on the GR documentary with Lopez, Per, and Bass was pretty sweet. Out of curiousity have you ever thought about recording a song like that for an album?

jon snow i know your talking to mike about the question. but i honestly think the song thats gonna be on the new dvd will be along those lines. atleast im hoping. something like hours of wealthish

^yea, that would be sweeeeeet. i wanted to keep listening to those guys jamming, it was great

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6456944 said:
Hmm, it's going well.

I've been working quite hard. Our goal is to have an overload of material this time. I have close to 5 songs finished. I've been brainstorming lyrics too, but have nothing completed. I've gotten demos from Per, Mendez and Fredrik as well. I don't know right now any word to describe the overall feel other than "dark", but it's obvious I'd say that.

One song is the fastest one I've ever written, one is almost like a gimmick type mid 70´s ballad, one is extremely dark middle eastern sounding heavy piece with lots of major chords actually, one is super tech death metal with influences from Scott Walker and Morbid Angel. One song reminds me of the Cure's "Lullaby" but in 3/4 with bluesy vocals. Yes, it sounds scary but really it's pretty cool! I even did a Fender Rhodes Chick Corea sounding piece that'll be a love or hate moment for many if it makes the record. We'll be demoing stuff during September and start rehearsals in October and record in November. I think it will be more faster than GR but also wierder than any other record, maybe more versatile than ever before.

Fredrik has laid down some solos on my demos and they are great! Everything from twisted Holdsworth licks to bluesy stuff and there's one long trade off bit with me and him. Also a ripping Hammond solo by Per.

My vocals are stronger too. I've cut back on the smokes and really it made a difference for my clean voice. I have a wider range and can sing better overall with more control. The death voice is still intact as well....oh yes!

You asked, so...

Cheers my friends
Mike

Sounds cool! Chick Corea and Allan Holdsworth references :)

I nearly gave up on this thread, it was so full of bitching. What a refreshing turn of events!

I'm so excited about the new album now (as if I wasn't already). How in love with music does Mike sound, btw? This is not your average metalhead. But we all knew that. I think this album is going to be really special. These updates have my imagination running wild...