US 2008 Paradise Lost Tour

I should add that I dont feel there are any rights to any such statements. In fact if anything the older vocalists should smile and be glad for those who still carry the torch when you consider most of the other vocal ideas going on and of those to applaud... Russ is the man

when I take an old metal head to a Symphony X show who never heard them before and after two songs he turns to me and says......... Holy Shit! That guy can sing! .... says it all

so heres my encore to Russell Allen :headbang: "thank you very much.... may I have another"

It was a very emotional night, since I don't know if anyone heard but Russell Allen has the flue :( Which he shared with us, also said the doctor told him to not sing, but he said he loves his job to much. It was very teary to see him when he wasn't singing blowing his nose and coughing. In his words "I'm trying my hardest to share the love you guys are giving to me right now!"

T'was a night to remember, and Symphony X obviously stole the show, perfect performance! Allen looked a little tired though, obviously because of the flue :(

At the end everyone was screaming for 'The Odyssey' as an encore and Allen replied...
"Are you trying to kill me? I love this place but I don't wan't my grave to be here!"

Yeah ... poor guy! He was really struggling after the 3rd or 4th song. Thank God we were all there to sing the choruses for him :p

Nonetheless, he was awesome as usual... a real frontman!

When we arrived we went upstairs in the balcony to watch the first 2 bands and we were just sitting there and then some guy walked through the doors that lead to backstage and I just look at him and I was like "Man ... that looks like Lepond" He sat 2 tables away from us and I kept looking and I was "Yeah ... that's him!" So my husband got up and talked to him a few minutes 'cause he didn't want people to notice and bug him before the show. I went later to wish him luck with the show and I told him that I hoped they kept making music for years and years to come and he said "Oh yeah! Me too!".

He's a really nice guy.

My husbands bandmates were all at the show too so, some of them got up and talked to him too and my hubby went back and told his guitarist to quite bugging him :p and then some kids followed my husband back to his seat and asked him for his autograph thinking he was Russel :zombie: Hmmm ... yeah ... no he doesn't look like Russel at all :loco::p But that was really funny!

We also met him after the show buy the buses and chatted for a good 30min-45min then we left.

While Epica was playing I went back to the car and got my digi cam and brought it in and took some pretty good pics considering I was in the pit for 3/4 of the show!

check 'em out here ... there's 91 of them

:headbang:

I know I'm going to sound like a bitch about this but I don't know why he has to say so many f words at a concert. It's kind of dumb to me. Too many metal bands do it and I wish symphony x wouldn't do it either.

gotta agree here...

Jax, if you tell them to play Reign in Blood in seattle, i'll love you forever.

Or any Manowar cover from the first 6 albums.

:lol:

eh....I'll just leave this one alone

(while making a not-so-subtle reference to the fact that I disagree)

+1 ;)

when did bruce make this statement? and why would he haverandomely offended a band like symphony x. their bands have never been lumoed together in the past, why would that topic even come up for bruce?

honestly, bruce is one of my favorite vocalist and maiden is one of my favorite bands- but, as fr as technical skill is concerned allen has him beat. by quite a bit too. Russ has many different facets to is voice and an incredible technical range in allof them. bruce may never speak ill of jorn lande, russell allen, or daniel gildenlow. everyone else he can make some subtle hints at not liking, but to deny skill here is just absurd.

Last time SX was in Mokena, Rus was talking about how he got to meet Bruce when they were both recording various tracks for (I think it was) Ayreon's "Flight of the Migrator" album. And that Bruce was just kinda uninterested in meeting him, then he heard later that Bruce had been bitching about one of the songs that Russell was recording because (according to Bruce) his own voice was much better and well suited for the song. Apparently he took a couple digs at Russell's skills behind his back. Rus said that he was pretty pissed considering he idolized Dickinson as a young singer, but that's the way things roll.

The following message is not directed at eyeballkid

Hey, i'm not trying to take a dig at Russ, i'm saying that of all the vocalists who have the right to talk shit and be arrogant, Bruce is one of them. He seems to choose to do so, and more power to him. Halford and Dio also have earned the right to be arrogant because they are masters of what they do (along with bruce) and most are humble, which is a bonus. While i think it's important to be chill, there's a certain level where it's just like "ok, you've earned the right to act however you want".

In my opinion comparing Russell to Dickinson is like comparing a lion to a mouse. Bruce has a really, really whiny vibrato and a nasally singing voice that I personally can't stand. Yes he's got fantastic stage presence, but so does Rus and in my opinion an infinitely superior voice. It is possible that the song called for some whiny/nasally vocals (hey, some people like it...to each his own), in which case for Arjen Bruce or James Labrie are just a phone call away. That aside, I thought James did a great job on the Human Equation, probably because Arjen likely kept him within his range and prevented him from trying to hit notes he cant cleanly hit.

bruce is god. unfortunately there is NO excuse for being a dick. not even godliness. sorry zach i love bruce as much as you do.... but there was literally no reason for him to make these comments. bruce's song on ayreon was the best on the album IMO... closely followed by Russ. but as far as technical singing capability... i give the crown to Russ. bruce of course get's the crown for biggest influence, but what is the reason one good singer would insult another? maybe he was a bit jealous? or even felt threatened by russ's amazing performance on that song, and didn't want russ to steal the show from him? or maybe bruce just legitimately doesn't like russ's voice. in ANY case. there is no reason for bruce, one of russ's influences, to be mean to him or make rude comments behind his back. i mean, people idolize bruce... that's a reason to be NICE to everyone... not mean.

i still think bruce is probably a nice guy in persn and everyone makes stupid decisions at one pont or another. hell maybe if bruce foundout russ knew he would appologize.

i think both are gret vocalists that should be free to co-exist HAPPILY.

Honestly I think Bruce got the better song (debatable though...) on the Ayreon album. That being said, he was probably just having a hissy fit and badmouthed him in the moment. And though it may be blasphemous, I think I like Russ better. After seeing Symphony X life, he's easily in my top 5 vocalists ever.

Gotta agree with Zach to a certain extent. Dickinson, IMO, can do and say whatever he likes. I still got respect for the guy.

That being said, I do think that Russell's voice is AT LEAST as good as Dickinson's. Personally, I probably think he's better. But Bruce is Bruce. He can say what he wants, and I'll still go: "man, Iron Maiden kicks ass and Bruce Dickinson is one of the coolest/best frontmen in history".

It's hilarious that you mention Dio because I think he has even MORE of a right to do and say whatever he pleases, yet he still seems to be one of the nicest and most down to earth dudes in the history of metal.

Quick question, how is the merch stand? Anything there new like a hoodie or a jacket?

Hoodies yes ... jackets no ... well I didn't see any in MTL. There's hats too. A sort of "baseball-type" t-shirt that has Symphony X written across it. and your regular Paradise Lost themes t's as well ;)

Hey, i'm not trying to take a dig at Russ, i'm saying that of all the vocalists who have the right to talk shit and be arrogant, Bruce is one of them. He seems to choose to do so, and more power to him. Halford and Dio also have earned the right to be arrogant because they are masters of what they do (along with bruce) and most are humble, which is a bonus. While i think it's important to be chill, there's a certain level where it's just like "ok, you've earned the right to act however you want".

Agreed. I absolutely love Russell's voice(though admittedly more on the older stuff) but let's get real here. When looking at what each has contributed to the overall history of metal on a worldwide scale, Bruce is rivaled by few. Whereas Russell and SX are a drop the hasn't even landed in the bucket yet.

Gotta agree with Zach to a certain extent. Dickinson, IMO, can do and say whatever he likes. I still got respect for the guy.

That being said, I do think that Russell's voice is AT LEAST as good as Dickinson's. Personally, I probably think he's better. But Bruce is Bruce. He can say what he wants, and I'll still go: "man, Iron Maiden kicks ass and Bruce Dickinson is one of the coolest/best frontmen in history".

It's hilarious that you mention Dio because I think he has even MORE of a right to do and say whatever he pleases, yet he still seems to be one of the nicest and most down to earth dudes in the history of metal.

Completely agreed. And honestly, i don't think Bruce was trying to be a flat out ass, maybe he just thought he'd suit Dawn better. And maybe he was right, who knows?

And Dio has talked shit, but he's always good natured about it. remember the blabbermouth article a while back that someone nailed him talking shit and he basically said 'yeah, i said that and didn't know i was being filmed, everyone says things sometimes that aren't supposed to be for the public" or something to that extent. he handled it well. My guess si that this was a similar situation where a private convo that should have stayed private was disclosed when it really had no business being spread. In interviews and the fan interaction i've seen, bruce is blunt but not flat out rude really.

then again, DC Cooper also has said bruce has slammed him while he was right there, so who knows? Maybe bruce thinks a lot of himself, and rightfully so.

First, without reading exact quotes, we should not be assuming Bruce said much at all or that if he did grumble something how he actually meant it or what he was thinking at the time. If he did say something and really meant it he was simply having a moment of ass clown and most likely is well aware that Russ kicks ass. Without really knowing what was actually said we are doing no more than gossiping a silly rumor... and we know how gossip and rumors goe.... my fellow Grandmas.... :p

That said I would like to add that to me Bruce turned in possibly his best performance on Into the Black Hole if nothing else just due to the room in the song for raw emotion and its focus being on vocal dynamics.

My old buddy would slay the man who dare speak lowly of Bruce, Dio or Arch
I would slay the man that would speak lowly of Tate or Allen
so on and so on
and there are those who would slay me for this -----> Gildenlow has no place in this conversation....... {draws sword and prepares for battle} :lol: honestly I refuse to go there... again, I left the last battle field such a bloody mess I was sickened at the site and swore to never draw my sword again... :heh:

Completely agreed. And honestly, i don't think Bruce was trying to be a flat out ass, maybe he just thought he'd suit Dawn better. And maybe he was right, who knows?

And Dio has talked shit, but he's always good natured about it. remember the blabbermouth article a while back that someone nailed him talking shit and he basically said 'yeah, i said that and didn't know i was being filmed, everyone says things sometimes that aren't supposed to be for the public" or something to that extent. he handled it well. My guess si that this was a similar situation where a private convo that should have stayed private was disclosed when it really had no business being spread. In interviews and the fan interaction i've seen, bruce is blunt but not flat out rude really.

then again, DC Cooper also has said bruce has slammed him while he was right there, so who knows? Maybe bruce thinks a lot of himself, and rightfully so.

Yeah, I do remember that Dio incident. I was actually a little pleased when I saw that video because it actually made me realize that Dio is, indeed, human.

And I think Bruce does think a lot of himself, but I believe the Rus thing was probably a private convo as well. Maybe Bruce just has tons of pride. I mean, he is short. Short man syndrome?

I respectfully dissent. I believe that no one has the "right" to be arrogant.

My two cents. While I think bruce is awsome, I don't for a second think that maiden as a band is better the the X. I believe there is about 10 maiden songs which I think are classic. While I think every song since Divine Wings is a none skip except Orion- The Hunter, just don't like all of the song. And like I posted early Russ is a god on stage. Peace