Vortex vs Vintersorg

Dantven said:
This thread should be garm vs vortex vs vintersorg anyways. How can you be subjective when you are not even including all of Borknagar's great vocalists? Anyways its pointless because its all a matter of taste. I only lashed out at you because of the way your words were phrased, it seemed almost like you were attacking mr. V.

Let bygones be bygones, please forgive my malice towards my fellow borknagar fan, I apoligize TheScourge.

Kippis! (cheers) :headbang:
Apology accepted Dantven. It is easy to assume another's intentions when the only thing you have to go on is words on a screen. It is already forgotten, and now the only thing that remains is the godly Borknagar blasting from my speakers. No worries, friend. :headbang:

TB666 said:
IMO Garm sucked when he was in Borknagar.

exactly why is started the thread the way i did

there's an astronomical difference between borknagar garm and the garm that did the sham mirrors

themooseisloose said:
exactly why is started the thread the way i did

there's an astronomical difference between borknagar garm and the garm that did the sham mirrors
Hehe, yepp, I even said the same thing myself. In that era, Garm tried to pretend he sounded like he was a true bass-baritone, uggghhh. But on Perdition City and Sham Mirrors, he really has come into his own with his flexibility, dynamic, and much improved intonation.

I have to disagree. On the self-titled album, garm does some of the best "grim" vocals borknagar has seen. And on the clean or choir parts, he sings with so much emotion and originality it makes up for a few minor mistakes here and there.

Even on "The olden domain" some of my favorite vocal parts are on that album. its so catchy and sung with such passion....i'm just saying I think garm is just as good as vortex and vintersorg.

Ex: On Grimland Domain "You ...have...to wake!, wipe the ice from your eyes"

That part is so awesome I don't even know how to describe the good feeling it gives me when i listen to that part...

The Scourge said:
Someone here said that Lazare should have some vocal lines. I agree wholeheartedly with that. His Jon Anderson-timbred voice is just perfect for Borknagar's progressive and celestial songwriting approach to date

I love you, you're my mistress of mental desire, I'm head over heels for you. Uhhh, ignore the previous sentence. But anyway, finally someone even so much as mentions Lazare. I truly think he's a very gifted vocalist aswell as a really skilled composer, and I agree with the notion that the material on Empiricism would very well fit his vocal approach (for instance; The Stellar Dome, from the first time I heard that song I was waiting for him to join in on the vocals, but it just didn't happen).
Personally I can dig Vintersorgs enunciation, be it that it's slightly "off" from time to time, but I tend to like weird twists here and there, I actually think it attributes to the experience. As for Garm I'm totally hot for his grim blasting on Borknagar, though I feel as his cleanly sung parts on the OD were slightly 'overdone' at some points. Great work, nuntheless, but I did find greater appreciation in his latest stuff.
Oh and I very much enjoy that idea of the different vocalists carrying out philosophical dialogues (bloody quotes, took me a half an hour to find out how that craps works, not taking out another 30 mins, excusé moi :zombie: )
, though I STILL think Lazare should be entered into it :cool: .
Hailz! :Smokin:
(ehm, did anyone know Garm gave up his vocal duties in Arcturus? This might be slightly outdated newsflashing, buttah, I've just come to find out. They did get Haegeland (can't do the Danisch/Norwegian ae thingy) from Spiral Architect as replacement (or successor whichever term you prefer).

Ethnobotanikkk said:
I love you, you're my mistress of mental desire, I'm head over heels for you. Uhhh, ignore the previous sentence. But anyway, finally someone even so much as mentions Lazare. I truly think he's a very gifted vocalist aswell as a really skilled composer, and I agree with the notion that the material on Empiricism would very well fit his vocal approach (for instance; The Stellar Dome, from the first time I heard that song I was waiting for him to join in on the vocals, but it just didn't happen).
Personally I can dig Vintersorgs enunciation, be it that it's slightly "off" from time to time, but I tend to like weird twists here and there, I actually think it attributes to the experience. As for Garm I'm totally hot for his grim blasting on Borknagar, though I feel as his cleanly sung parts on the OD were slightly 'overdone' at some points. Great work, nuntheless, but I did find greater appreciation in his latest stuff.
Oh and I very much enjoy that idea of the different vocalists carrying out philosophical dialogues (bloody quotes, took me a half an hour to find out how that craps works, not taking out another 30 mins, excusé moi :zombie: )
, though I STILL think Lazare should be entered into it :cool: .
Hailz! :Smokin:
(ehm, did anyone know Garm gave up his vocal duties in Arcturus? This might be slightly outdated newsflashing, buttah, I've just come to find out. They did get Haegeland (can't do the Danisch/Norwegian ae thingy) from Spiral Architect as replacement (or successor whichever term you prefer).
Flattery will get you everywhere :)
In all seriousness though, Garm's grim vocals are just god, no doubt about that. It is just his earlier clean vocal musings that turn me off, although he does have some great moments like the line that Dantven pointed out. And yes, it is old news that Garm left Arcturus to concentrate full-time on Ulver(makes sense since Ulver is like the official royal music of Norway's princess or something, can't remember exactly). So now I am quite curious as to how the new Arcturus will sound without his influence.

Vortex and Vintersorg both bring someting unique and different to Borknagar, so for me to choose one over the other is pointless. They are both great in their own way. The only choice for me is Borknagar..period.

i think theres no a best singer, all there are diferent, and i have to say, i m very satisfied of vintersorg work, there is perfect i love it i m pleased of the change.

I certainly have to go with Vintersorg, although I definetly appreciate Vortex as well. The first time I heard Vintersorg's voice, it absolutely slayed me (heard it on Till Fjalls before I had heard Borknagar).

Vortex is my favorite vocalist of all time, so I choose him. But, I truly admire the work Vintersorg has done and he's doing a great job with Borknagar now. Anyway, both are absolutley amazing!

I will have to go with simen without a second thought.. He has such a majestic voice, not to mention a top-notch growl, and his bass skills are more than decent... Colossus... what else is there to say??? Greatest song ever written

well let me see i like simen. i choose vintersorg. i heard simen live and have been to shows of him with borknagr when they toured. he is awful live. some of the clean parts for the most parts all the songs he doesn't sing live but instead does the coarse vocals. i have a cd with all the songs borknagar did with vintersorg live and not only does he do them good but he sings clean where it was clean on the album. wow that's a concept stay true to the recording otherwise what's the point. two simen loops his vocals so many times in the studio by the time you see him live he can't reproduce what he did in the studio. hence i say what's the fucking point if you are going to record something you can't do live. vintersorg is more natural. he uses what he has but he doesn't sing something when i see borknagar that i will be cringing when he does give his vocal performances. i am sure most of you could give less shit about live but in my opinion that's a true test of a good singer. able to handle both. simen has a wider range but once again that's only in the studio. go record sometimes you will see just how much they can polish you up in the studio \m/

Hmmm... that is odd though, as i've seen Vortex live with both Borknagar and Dimmu, and he's been amazing.. the highlight of my concert life is hearing him sing Collossus... I could have died happy there (notl iterally of course) but it was amazing.. maybe you heard him on off days???

ICS VORETX is a great singer, o thought Vintersorg wouldnt be able to live up to him. BUT i truly think now Vintersorg is great singer he has really good grim vocals and his clean vocals are wicked. We will see on the new Borknagar album on how Vintersorg vocals are since he will have the same amount of albums done in Borknagar, we shall wait and see