What are you reading? (The Book Club thread)

Finished In Defence of Global Capitalism the other day.
I've now started on 'The Trial' by Kafka.
The Road To Serfdom by Hayek is being read, but it's not in the kind of state that lets me take it out and about with me, whereas the Kafka is brand spanking new.

Monster/Pluto/20th Century Boys if manga count (Naoki Urasawa is a master of suspense).

Other than that I'm getting The Silmarillion by Tolkien tomorrow...thank Nightfall in Middle-Earth for that ^^

Silmatrollion. lololol
God I love that song.
On a serious note, I really need to get that book. Perhaps I'll hunt it down when May ends. (Gigs take priority right now.)

The Silmarillion is probably my favourite work of fiction of all time. It is absolutely fantastic!
The problem is reading it after reading modern fiction.
Silmarillion: Paragraph one - main character leads army across half the land. Paragraph two - army encounters impenetrable barrier in one direction, impenetrable barrier in another, then a splinter group splits off and finds their way around one of them. Paragraph three - group engages in big battle, main character dies, new peoples discovered, integration.

Modern fantasy: Page one - character starts walking across the camp. Page two - character meets people on the way to the far side of the camp. Page three - character talks to people. Page four - character walks on ... (page five) ... across the (page six) ... camp ...

I had to keep rereading previous paragraphs in the Silmarillion just to keep track of major events.
I found it a little chuggish in the first half, but the second half really got going and seemed more cohesive - maybe because the first half was just painting things in such broad strokes.

As for myself:
Just finished The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for the second time. Liked it before, appreciated it more the second time though.
Also just finished End of an Era about a couple of chaps that are sent back in time to when dinosaurs were about to die out - they encounter half-strength gravity and dinosaurs being mind-controlled by martians. And yet this is hard sci-fi. Very good, and I started and almost finished it in one sitting at the hair-dressers. 28 pages to go and I walked out and left it on the counter - had to pick it up a couple of days later.
Currently reading Voyage of the Catalpa, about six Irish rebels sent to Oz about 150 years ago (double checks, 135ish) and how they get broken out. Only about a third in. Not my usual fare (lent by a mate) but quite good so far.
About a third into Uppity Women of Medieval Times - one or two short pages on chicks from times gone by who didn't do the whole submissive chick thing. It's okay, but it's intended for light reading, and in some ways that detracts from it. Half the time I'm given no proper context, or limited date/time info. And you can't read too many at once or you lose everything after five minutes. So it's for picking up, reading 5 or 10 pages and then putting it down for later: slow boil stuff.
Just started Titan by Stephen Baxter. I actually read a good chunk of it about 8 years ago and then returned it to the library unfinished. Found it in a bookstore for $10 on Saturday and got enthused and bought it. Saw it outside another bookstore on Sunday for 4.95 and nearly wept. Accidentally started it on the weekend (I love Baxter) so I'll probably keep going.

The problem is reading it after reading modern fiction.
Silmarillion: Paragraph one - main character leads army across half the land. Paragraph two - army encounters impenetrable barrier in one direction, impenetrable barrier in another, then a splinter group splits off and finds their way around one of them. Paragraph three - group engages in big battle, main character dies, new peoples discovered, integration.

Modern fantasy: Page one - character starts walking across the camp. Page two - character meets people on the way to the far side of the camp. Page three - character talks to people. Page four - character walks on ... (page five) ... across the (page six) ... camp ...

Excellently put. It reads a little more like the Bible than Harry Potter! Character development is pretty much summed up in single sentences 'X was noble and proud as the men of old'. I love it though!

I just read 'Anthem' by Ayn Rand. I was a little disappointed, to tell the truth. It was very Brave New World, but it just didn't quite have the same level of interest as Brave New World. Still, the last two chapters sent tingles down my spine, it was very powerful. I will read more Rand, but... yeah, we shall see.

I tried reading The Silmarillian. I couldn't, no matter how hard I tried, get into it. It's a weird read. And I'm a HUGE Tolkien fan.

Ahh, each to their own!

I finished Kafka's 'The Trial' today, something which I very much enjoyed. The last two chapters (relating to 'The Door-keeper') were spine-chilling. Very vivid.

And now I shall start on Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. Chances are I won't finish it for aeons!

Just finished
Dog Boy - a boy abandoned at the age of four in Moscow takes up with some dogs. I found it good, very readable, dog scenes and personalities well done. Others in the bookclub struggled to finish it and found it quite the opposite.
The Eleven Thousand Rods - french erotica written about a hundred years ago. Quite short, but a good read. Just don't expect it to be very erotic. Some very over-the-top laugh out loud scenes.

Just finished:
River God by Wilbur Smith. Set in ancient egypt, a slave guides the fate of the land through his mistress, her lover and her husband. Quite readable, a little pulpy, but enjoyable. First person POV through the eyes of a rather narcissistic character, though I found it amusing rather than annoying. Others, less so. Should also mention I found it reminiscent of Feist+Wurts Empire series, but a couple of others who'd also read those books saw no parallels. YMMV.
What is Life? by Ed Regis. Historical and physiological discussion of life, mixed in with philosophical questioning, particularly in light of recent attempts to artificially construct life. Short and to the point. Didn't expect quite so much history though. All still rather vague.
The Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks. Fiction based on true events surrounding a town in 1666 that caught plague but decided to quarantine themselves to avoid spreading it. The heroine is an 18-year old chick, a widow with two kids. I quite liked this one, and the writing style was witty and eloquent, as well as quite vivid, especially during the gorier sections. Somewhat crappy end though.

Been ages since I've actually read a book. I can't read and listen to music at the same time, and seeing as I'm always listening to music, I rarely get around to reading. Thought it was about time I did though, so am reading Hannibal Rising.

I can't read and listen to music at the same time
I know what you mean. I usually stop it. That said, I read The Reality Dysfunction whilst listening to Axis of Perdition's Deleted Scenes and it worked very well for complementing that horrorscape with a nightmare soundtrack.
I wasn't listening to anything whilst reading River God, but mentally I had Anaal Nathrakh's More of Fire on endless repeat.

I once read William Blake's 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell' while listening to Ulver's 'Themes from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell'. Don't know what you're all complaining about, all this 'I can't read and listen at the same time' lololol