What are you reading? (The Book Club thread)

Let's see now. Always a lot going on. Currently biting off more than I can chew with:

All in the Dark - Sheridan Le Fanu (a gothic novel for Uni)
The Dirt - Motley Crue (this is amazing. Much more enjoyable than I thought and I've got the old albums out)
The Fabric of the Cosmos - Briane Greene. I found 'The Elegant Universe' a little dense but this is a lot more fun and accessible.

And I recently finished 'The Conquest of Gaul' - Caesar and 'God is Not Great' by Christopher Hitchens (who is great).

So basically wasting a lot of time when I should be reading stuff for uni etc. It's fun though!

Finished Ayn Rand's 'Atlas Shrugged'. I did very much enjoy it, significantly more than Anthem, which was more of a caricature and less analytical. Great story as well, and the speech... Quite a speech!

Now I shall move on to two books, I think. I think I shall read Adam Smith's 'The Wealth of Nations' (mainly because I've borrowed it and owe it back) and read Robert Heinlein's 'The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress' as well. That way I get one book of theory/facts and also a book of fiction so I shouldn't get too confused!

Hmm, some interesting stuff there Chris.
I decided to forego Fabric of the Cosmos because I'd heard that it was pretty much a retread of Elegant Universe.
Finished 2001 A Space Odyssey. It was better than I thought it would be. I thought it would be more ... bland. Maybe it's better because I've seen the movie? Not that I'm a big fan though. And the bits that I remembered from the movie were not there / different in the book! Gar.
I think that's it recently, though I'm halfway through a few.

off one's tits by john birmingham
he's a fuckin excellent writer, hahaha.

check out 'he died with a felafel in his hand' and 'dopeland'
both great reads.

I'm finding The Wealth of Nations very boring, it's far too basic. But I am not criticising it per se. It was written so early on, and it was extremely important in explaining some of the basic workings of capitalism.

But now I'm actually reading The Communist Manifesto. I don't want my criticisms to seem hollow due to never having read the book! But my god, I've never read anything with more baseless assumptions and non-sequiters...

Finished The Communist Manifesto the other day. Now working through 'The Audacity of Hope' by Obama. If it weren't for the fact that his actions suggest otherwise, one COULD be mistaken for thinking he were a libertarian... This is a vote-grabbing book, by the looks of things...

Just finished reading the Shadow of the Wind. Originally written in spanish and the second most popular book from that country, I believe, it's about a boy in ~1945 who gets a book by this chap that he just adores, then finds there's a whole mystery regarding the author and his works, and some chap going around destroying all this guy had created. I was talking to someone about it when halfway through and they loathed the book. I still quite liked it. Quite readable too, with a number of humorous observations, characters and moments.

Slan, by A E van Vogt. Discusses a future with Slans, who are like X-men, but otherwise look pretty much like normal humans. Of course, they're hunted and hated etc. Follows one young slan, who loses his parents and is growing up a teenager unable to find other slans. Written over 50 years ago.
The Eight, by Katherine Neville. Dual story-lined novel about a secret passed down through the ages and encoded into a chess set a thousand or so years ago. Storyline one is (near) modern day, with a young chick unravelling the mystery in ~1970, and the second storyline follows another feisty female who is involved in the scattering of the chess set in ~1790. Bits of maths, chess passages and allusions, and oodles of history, with lots of historical figures wound throughout the plot.

I finished Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge PHD a couple of weeks ago and now I'm reading John Kabat-Zinn's Wherever You Go There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life.

OK!!!!!!!!!! I got:

Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse - Thomas E. Woods Jr
Economic Depressions: Their Cause and Cure - Murray Rothbard
The Case Against The Fed - Murray Rothbard
Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature and Other Essays - Murray Rothbard
America's Great Depression - Murray Rothbard

Damn, it appears that ended up hardly ordering anything that's not by Rothbard... gf has all the Ludwig Von Mises stuff...

OK!!!!!!!!!! I got:

Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse - Thomas E. Woods Jr
Economic Depressions: Their Cause and Cure - Murray Rothbard
The Case Against The Fed - Murray Rothbard
Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature and Other Essays - Murray Rothbard
America's Great Depression - Murray Rothbard

Damn, it appears that ended up hardly ordering anything that's not by Rothbard... gf has all the Ludwig Von Mises stuff...

...and it seems my IQ rises just quoting you!