What's the best Death Metal album ever?

At last, a decent post by you Profanity. Well done mate.

My favourite changes all the time but most consistently my favourite is "Leprosy" by the mighty Death. Simply because it has the best death vocalist ever, some of the best solos ever, some incredible hooks on "Pull The Plug" etc. and just a ferocious groove that's missing on their later work IMO.
I fucking love it.
Opeth's "Deliverance" is my favourite though, if that counts, but some cunt will tell me "Oooh no, that's melo-death". :Smug:

Morbid Angel - "Gateways to Annihilation"

Everything about this album is perfect, from the production to the atmosphere, etc.... This is definately MA's heaviest and darkest sounding album, each song has a tremenously dark atmosphere. The production is also perfect, it really adds to the album and the dark feel. And last but not least it contains some of the best and most creative guitar solos ever. They manage to be extremely chaotic while still being extremely melodic. "God of the Forsaken" is a great example, the song is dark and brutal as hell, then all of a sudden that uber-melodic solo comes in and its friggin incredible, especially in the context of the song.

My runner up would be Nocturnus - "The Key"

Suffocation - Pierced From Within

It's technical, catchy, and very brutal all in one. The guitar sound and production are great too, and fit perfectly with the music. Frank Mullen is also the best death metal vocalist IMO. This CD can get me headbanging more than any other CD in any genre.

Damn, that is very hard to decide.

Wicked Innocence-Omnipotence, Napalm Records 1995
1. Thoughts 4:37
2. A Level Higher 6:23
3. Totality 5:11
4. Lines 6:44
5. The Greys 4:22
6. Omnipotence 6:08
7. Return to the Gates of Rebirth 6:52
8. Epitaph 5:53

Line up:
Lorin Cook - Vocals
Jason Martz - Guitar
Lavuar Daynes - Guitar (AKA Larvae)
Tom Cloward - Bass
Travis Jiron - Drums

Why ?, because I said so.

I cannot give any reasons for why I think these are the best, I just feel that way:

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile
Cannibal Corpse - Tomb Of The Mutilated
Decapitated - Nihility
Dying Fetus - Stop At Nothing
Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering
Vader - De Profundis
Immolation - Close To A World Below
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten

Out of those, I tend to enjoy "Blasphemy Made Flesh" the most.

Dismember- Like an Everflowing Stream. Best Death Metal album EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't pick just one and I won't bother explaning why:

Cryptopsy - None So Vile, Whisper Supremacy
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Death - Leprosy, Human
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines

there are so many awesome albums...

one of these probably...

Morbid Angel - Altars of madness
At the gates - Slaughter of the soul
CAnnibal Corpse - eaten back to life
Entombed - Left hand path
Massacre - FRom beyond
Napalm death - Enemy Of The Music Business
Possessed - Seven churches
Demolition HAmmer - Epidemic of violence
Defleshed - Under the blade
Vader - Litany

I dunno... I am much more into thrash

The bands are getting better and better, it is insane. I am listening to "PUSTULATED - Inherited Cryptorchidism" right now and it is just so fucking awesome; Chad (ex-Brodequin) is on the drums but the music is a mix of Retch, Brodequin and Devourment; the production is good. There's also other excellent stuff that came out in 2003 (Decrepit Birth, Putrid Pile, Deeds of Flesh, Vile) so it is very hard to pick ONE best death metal album ever. For historical reasons only, I'd probably pick one of the following three because they influenced many other brutal death metal bands that created even better stuff later:

Disgorge - Cranial Impalement
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Suffocation - Human Waste

TakinTheMusicBack said:
At last, a decent post by you Profanity. Well done mate.
How exactly? This topic is retarded. I mean... you could at least think of an original idea. This is just a lame topic which i'm sure has been done a million times before.

Anyway, to answer your question... meh. I dunno. Its impossible to say, cause I like so many death metal albums. It tends to go through phases, and I don't have a downright favourite. However, at the time of writing i'm particularly fond of Obituary's Slowly We Rot.

I'd hope it is still yet to come. Death metal is still young, and improving year by year. With masterpieces like Diabolic - Infinity Through Purification and Psycroptic - Scepter of the Ancients just out, the future looks very bright.

SunlapseVertigo said:
Morbid Angel - "Gateways to Annihilation"

Everything about this album is perfect, from the production to the atmosphere, etc.... This is definately MA's heaviest and darkest sounding album, each song has a tremenously dark atmosphere. The production is also perfect, it really adds to the album and the dark feel. And last but not least it contains some of the best and most creative guitar solos ever. They manage to be extremely chaotic while still being extremely melodic. "God of the Forsaken" is a great example, the song is dark and brutal as hell, then all of a sudden that uber-melodic solo comes in and its friggin incredible, especially in the context of the song.
Exactly. Although I'm not a fan of the triggerred drums.

hibernal_dream said:
I'd hope it is still yet to come. Death metal is still young, and improving year by year. With masterpieces like Diabolic - Infinity Through Purification and Psycroptic - Scepter of the Ancients just out, the future looks very bright.
Are you fuckin serious!? :OMG: I must have missed something when I listened to it. That album bored me to sleep, quite literally.

Suffocation's Pierced From Within, because it was technical and brutal beyond it's time...still amazes me that it was recorded in 95. Awsome drums, brutal guitars and one of the best vocal preformances ever. Best death metal album ever.

Also Immolation's "Close to A World Below" is amazing, it's so innovative and just doesn't sound like any other death metal band. I love the vocals too, very evil.

By the way "Slaughter of the Soul" isn't death metal.