winter beer 2005-2006

drank a pitcher of amber ale at the local pub (Riverside Brewing Company) to celebrate getting dumped by my new chick.

good beer.

while in colorado, i picked up a couple bottles of Full Sail's Wreck the Halls. nice, hoppy beer. also got their Barleywine.
at NewBelgium, they had an brewhouse only winter brew called 2 Below (as in below zero) that was pretty nice. not real hoppy, but a good heavy amber color with nice malt. there was a test brew that was a golden wheat-ish beer with a LOT of flavor- cardamom and lemon/citrus and some other different flavors. i don't usually like wheat-y beers, but i could drink that one. tried the La Folie, which is a really sour tasting oak-aged beer. jodi liked it more since it was more wine-tasting than beer. it was kind of expensive, but we bought a bottle for new year's eve.

I had the 2 below at a local brewpub here actually! not bad, but not spectacular. NB's wheat beers (such as Sunshine) are actually really really good.

summer beer 2k6

Bieken.jpg

Bee Girl all grown up!

I had some Full Sail IPA last night, not that good. Then had some Deschutes red (forget the name), which was okay but I'm not that big of a red fan. Looking forward to trying some new IPAs this season, and consuming the usual suspects: Speakeasy Big Daddy IPA and Mendocino White Hawk IPA.

I went to a local brewpub to taste their saison that was new from this week and wasn't impressed. It was a very fruity blanche with some intense bitterness that was a complete mess.

The homebrew all-grain Pale Ale is fucking awesome though...

wait you're doing all-grain simon? did you buy all that equipment or is it one of your friends? i've only brewed by myself, can't quite bring myself to make the all-grain jump. how much was the equipment anyway

The parent's of a friend of mine used to do wine and wanted to get rid of their equipment (a few buckets, 2 5 gallon carboys, 1 3 gallon carboy, hydrometer, and other shit.) We bought a 20 liters pot and a large sieve for the splurging and that's about it. We are 4 that brewed 4 batches (2 from kits that we modified a bit with some grain added) and two all-grain, 5 gallons batch each and we ended up with some 60 bottles each.

Equipment was cheap in our case because of the gift from the parent's there. The big ass pot was 20$ and the sieve was 2$. Very satisfied of the results so far. I am anxious to taste the German Cream ale (all grain too) that will be somewhat ready next weekend...

that equipment inheritance is nice. i'd end up buying everything, including the propane burner, sparging stuff etc, and am just not sure i want to do it yet. if i had at least one local friend into it too, it'd be more worth it probably.

whoa mustard ale?
i tried the barleywine i made and it needs carbonation. i think i should have put more yeast in at bottling time.
got some Boulevard Nutcracker ale before thanksgiving, which is a nice heavy hoppy winter warmer.

and birthday gift from wife yesterday: Delirium Noel