Worst Guitar solo ever heard?

BANNEDadrian said:
lol, nirvana blows
Nirvana > wank

They honestly are not anywhere near as bad as people make them out to be. I am positive the number one reason they are hated so intensely is because of their popularity.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Actually, I hate them because they are too simple, and their lyrics were also shite.

Wank > Simplicity

Like I said before.
Yeah but

Beatles > Wank

this thread is ridiculous. while i agree with tubbs mcfag that nirvana blows, it's for a totally different reason. simplicity=bad music? what kind of uninformed teenage opinion is that? you're listening to like symphony x or whatever, who arguably sucks worse than nirvana. the fact that they can play real fast is totally irrelevant to the quality of their music, WTF N00B

BANNEDadrian said:
this thread is ridiculous. while i agree with tubbs mcfag that nirvana blows, it's for a totally different reason. simplicity=bad music? what kind of uninformed teenage opinion is that? you're listening to like symphony x or whatever, who arguably sucks worse than nirvana. the fact that they can play real fast is totally irrelevant to the quality of their music, WTF N00B
What I would have said, just not as civil :\

BANNEDadrian said:
Oh my god. Ridiculous. Don't call Symphony X sucky again. I seriously just lost a ton of respect for you from saying that. Good job.

Clearly you've never heard them. Not one of their songs stoop as low as Nirvana bullshit does. I don't want to EVER hear that shitty comparison again.

You are entitled to your opinon, but that just crosses the damn line for me.

And now you're bringing in the fact that I'm a teenager. Oh wow, I must be more retarded just because I'm not as old as you, and I suppose I can't come up with a reason why I think one band is better than another.

(Wrong.)

Seriously though, anybody who says that has not even listened to them. Why don't you take some time before you judge them too quickly. (Like I did to you. :))

I like Nirvana.

They rock.

Kurt Cobain wasn't a good guitarist though. He just knew how to rock.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Oh my god. Ridiculous. Don't call Symphony X sucky again. I seriously just lost a ton of respect for you from saying that. Good job.

Clearly you've never heard them. Not one of their songs stoop as low as Nirvana bullshit does. I don't want to EVER hear that shitty comparison again.

You are entitled to your opinon, but that just crosses the damn line for me.

And now you're bringing in the fact that I'm a teenager. Oh wow, I must be more retarded just because I'm not as old as you, and I suppose I can't come up with a reason why I think one band is better than another.

(Wrong.)

Seriously though, anybody who says that has not even listened to them. Why don't you take some time before you judge them too quickly. (Like I did to you. :))

ok, let me rephrase. i have listened to symphony x, and based on various listening sessions i have determined empirically that they suck

better?

Contrary, I think SX is a fairly good band. They do have occasional wank moments, but overall good. I don't like Romeo's guitar tone, but that's another discussion

@Tubbs: At the time that Smells Like Teen Spirit came out, it blew me away. Radio music sucked then, and the world (music and otherwise) was a very different place. No fucking internet to help you discover and talk about new music. If you lived in the wrong place, you might never hear about some bands. So the radio was often your #1 way of hearing music, especially when driving around in your car (when I was a teenager, it was the only place I felt really free). So, when SLTS came out, I was amazed. I wanted to hear it again right after it was over. It sounded like nothing else on the radio. It spoke to me in a way that other music at the time did not. I loved it for its simplicity, its tone, its aggression, its depression. I felt like everything sucked at that point in my life, and Kurt was singing about it. And I AM a guitarist, incidentally...

Anyhow, to the point: there's a long history of solos simply being instrumental takes on the melody (sometimes with embellishments, sometimes not). Can you imagine a shred solo over SLTS? Talk about worst solo ever! It would miss the point. I can understand if you don't like the music; you're not from that time or that mindset. I get it. I can understand ANYONE not liking Nirvana, actually. I appreciate Nevermind (only have it on tape) and have In Utero (hardly listen to it) and the unplugged thingy (xmas present from years ago...nearly unlistenable), so I'm no fan. Just saying that SLTS solo is not really all that "bad". Maybe a bit bland, but not bad. How do you feel about Neil Young? I imagine you dislike his stuff, too?

My vote for worst solo ever: Anything by C.C. DeVille. Especially "Unskinny Bop".

(Side category: Worst Harmonica Solo: Alanis Morissette "Head Over Feet" makes my skin crawl. It is the worst solo of ANY kind anywhere. I can't believe it was allowed to be released as a radio single. Followed closely by Vince Neil in "Smokin' in the Boys Room".)

soundave said:
Anyhow, to the point: there's a long history of solos simply being instrumental takes on the melody (sometimes with embellishments, sometimes not). Can you imagine a shred solo over SLTS? Talk about worst solo ever! It would miss the point. I can understand if you don't like the music; you're not from that time or that mindset. I get it. I can understand ANYONE not liking Nirvana, actually. I appreciate Nevermind (only have it on tape) and have In Utero (hardly listen to it) and the unplugged thingy (xmas present from years ago...nearly unlistenable), so I'm no fan. Just saying that SLTS solo is not really all that "bad". Maybe a bit bland, but not bad. How do you feel about Neil Young? I imagine you dislike his stuff, too?
the solo in SLTS is boring and not noteworthy at all... while it definitely shouldn't be 100% shred, he could have at least gone outside the basic repetitive melody. and as for neil young, he's a real talented guy, but his guitar playing is notoriously abysmal

BANNEDadrian said:
the solo in SLTS is boring and not noteworthy at all... while it definitely shouldn't be 100% shred, he could have at least gone outside the basic repetitive melody. and as for neil young, he's a real talented guy, but his guitar playing is notoriously abysmal

Right, Adrian. I totally agree. Not noteworthy either way. It's just...there. I've had a real love/hate thing with Neil Young... Songs like "Cinnamon Girl", "Down by the River", and "Woodstock" as CSN&Y are hard to imagine without his solos. They're technically kind of weak. Particularly in terms of his bends and his vibrato. Both take him out out tune all the time. But it's almost a stylistic thing. Maybe the solos would be better if they were played cleaner, but it's hard for me to even imagine. His guitar sort of goes with his voice, too.

As for the old "feeling vs. technicality" argument, I don't see how one necessarily precludes the other. How long has this stupid thought-war been waged? Does this go back to Beethoven and Liszt? Further?

And slow = bad? That's just a weird way to judge things. A great solo moment by Trey Anastasio is towards the end of the Phish song "The Squirming Coil" off of Lawnboy. He simply sustains a note through chord changes, and the sustained note plays a new role in the new chords. It's amazingly beautiful and well-conceived. It's the slowest, and imo, the best part of the soloing on that song.

soundave said:
@Tubbs: At the time that Smells Like Teen Spirit came out, it blew me away. Radio music sucked then, and the world (music and otherwise) was a very different place. No fucking internet to help you discover and talk about new music. If you lived in the wrong place, you might never hear about some bands. So the radio was often your #1 way of hearing music, especially when driving around in your car (when I was a teenager, it was the only place I felt really free). So, when SLTS came out, I was amazed. I wanted to hear it again right after it was over. It sounded like nothing else on the radio. It spoke to me in a way that other music at the time did not. I loved it for its simplicity, its tone, its aggression, its depression. I felt like everything sucked at that point in my life, and Kurt was singing about it. And I AM a guitarist, incidentally...

Ah, soundave. You're a person I can really respect around here. (Along with Kenneth R.)

Anyway, since you're opinion was backed up by plenty of reason, I can respect it. The truth is, I don't really hate Nirvana, I hate the people around here who bash eachother all the time. (Myself included.)

That is why I get mad (Which is a dumb thing to do on the internet anyway.) at people because they don't support their reasons and just say things to get people pissed, or to try and prove that they are always right.

I still think the solo sucks, but you should be able to respect that, right?

And I think Symphony X is 1000X better than Nirvana in every aspect. Singing, guitar playing, melody, SOLOS. You can respect that, right?

Wouldn't it be great if everyone did then?

Anyway, the point of this thread is to point out crappy solos, not to compare 2 bands that aren't even on the same wavelength together. (And by that I mean genre.)

Anyway, I got more:

Any solos off of Octavarium

Any solos off of Falling Into Infinity (Except Hell's Kitchen)

There. See? I named two ENTIRE Dream Theater albums. And the difference here is, instead of calling them crap without backing it up, I have a reason because I've ACTUALLY HEARD THE ALBUMS BEFORE.

The songs off of Octavarium sound extremely mainstream to me, and mainstream solos never sound good (IN MY OPINION) because they usually are short on go over crappy background music. Nonetheless, I still like this album.

As for Falling Into Infinity, most of the songs are just so sappy and cheesy that the solos don't belong in the first place. (IN MY OPINION)

So, anyone want to bash me or come up with a valid opinion with backup?

As for Neil Young, I really enjoy his stuff.

Right on, Tubbs. Respect. I hear ya. And it's all cool.

Was thinking about more dumb solos. How about this? EVH's solo on "Beat It". I like the solo itself, but I hate what it caused to happen. For many years thereafter, all stupid pop songs had to have the totally out of place wanky guitar solo. Including the ultra terrible Slash solo on "Black and White". Yikes.

going with the EVH trend...

Eruption.
don't crucify me yet. It's cool. It was groundbreaking. It was a solo that had no song to go with it, unless you consider it an intro, and even then it's a pretty bad intro. Great playing, terribly used. It's also clearly a showboating spot.

Sylvan - Timeless Traces. now THERE's a F-ing solo. listen to that if you want an idea of what I aspire to come up with.