2013 - new and upcoming albums

I love FWX - probably my favourite Fates record after APSOG and Perfect Symmetry. The strongest songs were Wish and A Handful of Doubt in my opinion, but I've always dug their more straightforward stuff as well, so I'm pretty confident that it's going to be a great album no matter which exact direction Matheos is going. The man can't seem to do anything wrong.

By the way, I LOVE the cover of the new album!

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they'd revealed that.

And wow! I must say that like it, too!

My favourite fw is "perfect simmetry" prog metal at its best,I'd really love if one day they will perform it all.Also "APSOG" is good,and another one I love is "Still remain" from "Disconnected"

I haven't listened too many albums in 2013, yet Illusion Suite's sophomore "The Iron Cemetery" is a fantastic follow-up after their amazing debut album. A little too much vocal lines, but it still rocks. I thinkt their debut album was more magical, yet this one is VERY SOLID METAL!!!

Sounds pretty good, but I'm not too impressed yet.

Anyone listening to that podcast should definitely let the opening song play, Intronaut is awesome.

I did listen to it, and no way was that opener better than the FW song. :eek:

You guys are nuts...
Riverside's new album is a straight-up masterpiece.
I love Leprous' Coal. Not as good as Bilateral, but a damn good follow-up, regardless.
Haken's Visions was a solid album, though a little too traditional prog for my taste. I'll be picking up their new album for sure.
I haven't heard the new Spock's Beard yet, but I look forward (I have the album waiting here).
Isn't PoS working on something? Can't wait for anything PoS.

Dream Theater became irrelevant after Train of Thought.
They truly had some great stuff before Octavarium.
6 Degrees is a lot better than people give it credit for. The song 'Disappear' shows that they were once capable of producing something of atmosphere and feeling; it's a gem of a song.

6 Degrees is a lot better than people give it credit for.

I've always thought it was the opposite case, that everyone seems to love that album to death, while I'm practically the only guy who thinks it's incredibly overrated. I definitely think it had some good stuff on it, but most of the first disc is pretty terrible/unoriginal IMO, with Misunderstood being the worst song they've ever written.

LittleTortillaBoy said:
How about new DT song?

I don't mind the new song much (stylistically it's kind of like the Systematic Chaos sound, but 10x better executed), but I certainly wouldn't want the whole album to sound like that. At any rate, I'm going to give the album a listen, and we'll see what comes of it.

some good 2013 stuff:

Ingranaggi Della Valle - In hoc signo
very good italian prog with a good vocalist.

Enshine - Origin
basically Atoma with growls. same guitarist and song-writer.

Vallendusk - Black clouds gathering
really good "melodic black metal" or whatever the kids call it. dynamic stuff. some nice acoustics, good electric riffage, good vocals. good musicianship and very sophisticated without being pretto shit.

probably this year's best song, fucking amazing, blows mind, etc:

edit: youtube quality really brings it down though. needs some bass lost in youtube version.

Last edited by a moderator:
DT has been irrelevant since 6DOIT when they ripped off like 3 minutes straight of Kansas' "The Wall".

I have decided I really like Coal. It's not as catchy as Bilateral, but it is a great album anyway.

Riverside is meh, they have been irrelevant since whatever their 3rd or 4th album was - that's how much of an impression it left on me. Voices EP and S/t are fucking fantastic. Everything else is generic europrog snoozefest. The same attack leveled at Haken can be directed at Riverside. Of the new album, the SECOND disc is good. Too bad it's just two songs.

Looking forward to check out this melodic BM track later.

I did listen to it, and no way was that opener better than the FW song. :eek:

It's definitely not the best example of their sound 'cause it's a bit straightforward and all, but I still really dig it. I urge you to give the band another chance if it pops up again, even though you'll probably dislike them anyway.

I've always thought it was the opposite case, that everyone seems to love that album to death, while I'm practically the only guy who thinks it's incredibly overrated. I definitely think it had some good stuff on it, but most of the first disc is pretty terrible/unoriginal IMO, with Misunderstood being the worst song they've ever written.

I don't mind the new song much (stylistically it's kind of like the Systematic Chaos sound, but 10x better executed), but I certainly wouldn't want the whole album to sound like that. At any rate, I'm going to give the album a listen, and we'll see what comes of it.

I'm not a huge fan of SDoIT either, even though the epic is quite good. But I disagree about the new song being better than the stuff on Systematic Chaos. That album at least had an energy that's somehow not there on the new track. This whole aggressive sound never really worked for them, but SC at least made them sound 20 years younger all of a sudden, for all it's worth.

The new one is still passable though.

Riverside is meh, they have been irrelevant since whatever their 3rd or 4th album was - that's how much of an impression it left on me. Voices EP and S/t are fucking fantastic. Everything else is generic europrog snoozefest. The same attack leveled at Haken can be directed at Riverside. Of the new album, the SECOND disc is good. Too bad it's just two songs.

Gonna have to go with the gentleman on this one. I understand the complaints about them sounding generic, at least regarding the last two albums, but they're really good at what they do nevertheless.

Va-a-a-alley, valley in sin
Va-a-a-alley, this valley I'm in
Where you aaaaaaare
My secret staaaaar

I had that bit on my mind for a good month or so. Very catchy but pretty irritating after a while :D

I might check out that Riverside EP Ken praises, but that generally praised album of theirs did not impress me.