2013 - new and upcoming albums

I really enjoyed the new Scale the Summit. Been a fan of theirs for a couple years since I saw them open for Protest the Hero. I find the music to be pretty relaxing.

Add another for the new DT. When I first heard the singles they released I was a bit dissatisfied as nothing about them stood out to me; however, once I got the album and got to listen with a good pair of headphones it just blew me away. It is definately a more atmospheric kind of album over punchy vocals and guitar leads.

Also, I know some here may gawk at the very mention of this band, but I feel that Children of Bodom have finally made their best album since HCDR. It's nothing that will blow you away or anything, but it is nice to be able to actually say "hey, the new Children of Bodom album is good.".

I've had the new Amorphis since it came out and from the post above I just remembered it existed. I think its okay, but for some reason I just haven't had the desire to go back to it. I don't know if it is just that their current formula is getting stale to me or if they just haven't been able to top the excellent songwriting they had with Skyforger. I like that with this album they took a break from the Kalevala (sp?) stuff though as even though its a cool idea they don't want to play it out so fast. I dunno, maybe I should give it another listen since I haven't done so in quite a while. I think the track that I liked the most from the new album back when it came out was "Nightbird's Song".

Also, I know some here may gawk at the very mention of this band, but I feel that Children of Bodom have finally made their best album since HCDR. It's nothing that will blow you away or anything, but it is nice to be able to actually say "hey, the new Children of Bodom album is good.".

I agree. It's no Hatebreeder (I doubt they'll ever top that one) but its definitely a return to form after the last few lackluster releases.

A new Dream Theater studio album, and live albums and videos from Rush and Dream Theater are scheduled for release later this year. Also, Portnoy Sheehan MacAlpine Sherinian (or, as I prefer to call them, MACALPINE Portnoy Sheehan Sherinian) live album and video in September.

A new Dream Theater studio album

I'll give them one more chance and then I'm out. I hear it's going to be self-titled and a rebirth on at least some level, but I doubt they're truly capable of anything like that at this point.

The last album was very solid overall, best they'd put out in a long time if you ask me. I'm cautiously optimistic about this next one. With two multi-movement epics on one album, my interest is definitely piqued at the very least.