2013 - new and upcoming albums

Earth Rocker by Clutch wins this year for me so far.

The newest Soilwork album, The Living Infinite, is quite good. It's too long, but the good songs are some of the best I can remember since Natural Born Chaos.

Looking forward to the new Satriani album. He released the first song, "A Door into Summer", and it sounds...like Satch. Kind of like Summer Song. It's wonderful to know that no matter how much music slowly evolves into a hybrid of commuter beeps and auto-tune, Satch will always be waiting in a corner with an analog recording that sounds just the way you'd expect it to. He's the virtuoso, mostly lyric-less AC/DC and I'm content with that.

Pretty much agree with you on the new Soilwork. I had a feeling when it was first revealed to be a double album that it would probably be dragged down by being too long. They really should have taken the best songs from both discs and made one normal length album.

Last edited by a moderator:

I gotta say, after the abysmal disaster that was the title track, I was pretty disappointed in Dave and Co., but after hearing this... well, no complaints here. I'm liking the groove the song has going, nice solo by Broderick too.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying the main riff sounds like Children of the Grave sped up, and while I do hear a bit of a resemblance, it's not too noticeable to me.

Leprous is simply amazing; Coal is at the top of my list.
I can't wait for a new albums by Tune, PoS, Wolverine, No-Man (probably won't happen) Opeth, Sleepmakeswaves, Magenta, Dark Suns... none of which have been announced, other than PoS and Opeth.
I am totally heartbroken that Porcupine Tree is on an indefinite hiatus, but at least their last album (for now...) was a masterpiece. I WAS expecting a new album from them this year.
I gotta pick up the new Spock's Beard, too!
To-Mera and Circus Maximus had strong releases last year.
The Gathering's 2012 album is nothing short of perfection, so I'm anxiously awaiting a follow-up.
Damn...so much good stuff to look forward to over the next two years :)
Oh, and when will Beyond Twilight come back?! Grrr...

Oh, and when will Beyond Twilight come back?! Grrr...

Right now Finn's got his hands full with Zierler Projects. If you're not aware, it's a new supergroup composed of himself, Kelly Sundown Carpenter, Bobby Jarzombek, Per Nilsson, and Truls Haugen, and it's looking like it's going to kick enormous amounts of ass. They're putting the finishing touches on the debut album, which will be released later this year.

Being a big Leprous fan but being honest,I prefeir "Bilateral "to "Coal".4 songs are very good "Valley,Echo,Cloak,Salt",Chronic gets too long ,I don't like "Contaminate me".Anyway,I cant'wait for october to see them again in Milan

Being a big Leprous fan but being honest,I prefeir "Bilateral "to "Coal".4 songs are very good "Valley,Echo,Cloak,Salt",Chronic gets too long ,I don't like "Contaminate me".Anyway,I cant'wait for october to see them again in Milan

It would be hard to follow up after an absolute monster like Bilateral, but I'll reserve judgement :)

That project by Finn, judging by the names, is very intriguing. Kelly was a great fit on Section X...possibly even better than Lande on Devil's.

great news for prog lovers : from Insideout label comes a band called "Sound of contact" ,the record is called "Dimensionaut"and you can hear some track on youtube along with "Not comming down"'s video. It's a good record of pop and
prog rock very well played and with good and catchy melodies ,not forgetting
strong and complex structures,and guess who plays and sings ? Phil Collin's son

Oh man this DOES sound great! And he really sounds like his dad too. I love Phil Collins and this just makes me plain happy..

I first watched the video for that "Not Coming Down" song or whatever it was called and wasn't all that impressed, but the other stuff I have heard so far sounds MUCH better.

This album is out today June 15th, pretty good! It's like new age-influenced progressive metal or something.