2013 - new and upcoming albums

pretty much. and it's not a defense to say "other bands also copied these bands".

fewer, but still other bands - did something original and are being copied. that's a more admirable position

Of course it doesn't justify any theft... but it means SOMETHING at least.
DT did somewhat come up with their own formula, and Images and Words is pretty crucial in the genre.

Images and Words, Awake and A Change of Seasons (besides the medley) are all good.
Scenes From A Memory is one of the best progmetal album ever made, and as a "not very heavy album" - up there with A Pleasant Shade of Gray and V.
Other than that, I won't argue against DT having very little to offer.

Images and Words, Awake and A Change of Seasons (besides the medley) are all good.
Scenes From A Memory is one of the best progmetal album ever made, and as a "not very heavy album" - up there with A Pleasant Shade of Gray and V.

That's a pretty large amount of stuff you just listed! More than most bands.
Train of Thought is solid, and as I mentioned, I really like 6 Degrees.
I enjoy Scenes, but I feel it's overrated.
The melodies and very basic and obvious...but then again, DT has never really gone the route of unconventional melodies. Solid album, regardless, but to put this album in the same league as V is sacrilegious!

Lingua mortis orchestra featuring Rage,not like the previous one but good,very
Savatage style.This time is all new stuff,most of them worth listening

I can agree with this, mostly. I wouldn't put SFAM that high though.

Haken's The Mountain leaked.

I'd describe it as ambitious with very few ideas. The good stuff is very good, but most of it is just average. A lot of vocal harmony parts... something they're not particularly good at.

The intro+opening track Atlas Stone (which was one of the youtube songs) are the definite highlights.

The intro+opening track Atlas Stone (which was one of the youtube songs) are the definite highlights.

I´ll add Pareidolia (another of the youtube songs) + Somebody (+ the bonus tracks, but... they are good, but yeah, recycled ideas.)

The interlude of Somebody is really amazing, one of the best things I´ve heard this year. But the middle part of the album isn´t.

Yeah those bits are good.

It's not a bad album at all, but... I listened to the beginning of Cockroach King and was like "oh no".

Lyrics during Goodnight Kiss? I can't think of anything else.
Most of the lyrics are really trite and cheesy in a bad way, yes. But the worst thing about the piece is the Overture... it's an enumeration of the worst kind of classical music clichés. It sounds really artificial for a band with that much money on their hands and has no importance whatsoever for the rest of the song.

For the record, Blind Faith and Misunderstood both have good, intelligent lyrics - written, surprisingly, by LaBrie.

Haken's The Mountain leaked.

I'd describe it as ambitious with very few ideas. The good stuff is very good, but most of it is just average. A lot of vocal harmony parts... something they're not particularly good at.

Opinions may differ.:) IMO it´s the most interesting progrelease in years.

+ The album is non-dairy = no cheese.

DT actually used to have excellent lyrics...everything on Images & Words is not only passable, but actually pretty good, and Pull Me Under, Under a Glass Moon, and Wait for Sleep are really really good.

Why would LaBrie writing good lyrics be surprising? I'd be more surprised if for instance Portnoy wrote good lyrics.
Because he never was a prolific writer for them and apparently should be/should have been instead of Petrucci and Portnoy.

It's true that their first couple of albums had some great lyrics, but that quality took a HUGE dip as soon as they started telling stories. I've never understood what most people find so mesmerizing about Scenes From A Memory.

not an upcoming album (or maybe they'll release a live album too), but a DVD/blu-ray:

It's true that their first couple of albums had some great lyrics, but that quality took a HUGE dip as soon as they started telling stories. I've never understood what most people find so mesmerizing about Scenes From A Memory.
it's a seamless concept album with a great range of fantastic music and a very grand finale.
amazing bits:
06:00 onward in strange deja vu
the solos of fatal tragedy
the mellow parts and ending of beyond this life
the "choruses" of home
the "tasteful wankery" of dance of eternity (very complex yet not "oh so mathematical")
the entirety of the spirit carries on and finally free

it's one of those albums you should listen to in its entirety, like pleasant shade of gray.

Last edited by a moderator:
DT's solos are ruined by keyboard wankery and guitartedness. They're rarely tasteful.

On the other hand, I've already bought the LP for the Anathema live gig. It's brilliant.

The intro to 6 Degrees returns at the end, musically...so it's not completely forgotten and unrelated... wait, it also makes appearances at different moments (awesome guitar solo closer to the beginning of the song, for example).

I keep forgetting when he plans to release them, but Devins new stuff sounds promising:

Last edited by a moderator: