2013 - new and upcoming albums

So, I don't care what people think of the album, since obviously I'm going to listen to it anyway, but a couple things about this are pretty bullshit.

First, the "radio metal complaint" is nonsense, because FWX was the closest to "radio metal" that FW ever did – the album was influenced by Deftones, which was a major influence on Ray Alder at the time, and he admitted as much, and also shows some Tool influences. So I don't know what you're talking about if you think this is "radio metal" in a way FWX isn't – either you don't have anything against "radio metal" per se since you like FWX, which is full of it, or your definition of "radio metal" just doesn't make any sense.

Second, And Yet It Moves is pretty coherent. The metal riffs purposefully parallel the acoustic segment at the beginning, and those riffs are developed pretty well in the beginning and then continually reprised throughout the song. Finally, the ending vocal melody is hinted at throughout the entire track before finally being "dropped." The remainder of the song has the tone of a journey with a melancholy end. And the rhythm guitar is awesome.
Regardless of what Ray might say, FWX had more prog in it than the current album does. It had daring in lyrical content (okay, ignore Simple Human).

It's not as good as FWX but listen to my play list, please, and compare songs :

Left Here (Fates Warning - FWX)
Simple Human (Fates Warning - FWX)
River Wide Ocean Deep (Fates Warning - FWX)
Another Perfect Day (Fates Warning - FWX)
Wish (Fates Warning - FWX)
Falling (Fates Warning - DIADL)
Falling Further (Fates Warning - DIADL)
Firefly (Fates Warning - DIADL)
And Yet It Moves (Fates Warning - DIADL)
Into The Black (Fates Warning - DIADL)
A Handful Of Doubt (Fates Warning - FWX)
The Eleventh Hour (Fates Warning - P)

... I am listening to FW again and again now :worship:

New FW is godly. Maybe their best album.

The new FW is boring. They should have ended on a high note with FWX.

These two posts make me fall out of my chair. Frickin' Ken bringing on the lulz.

man have you even heard this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eaf8HNw-2QU

it's AAA+++ grade stuff

Lost interest at the 2:19 mark and started playing Golf Star on my phone. Kept the music on in the background though and had a Perfect Shot off my first tee. Perhaps it's good concentration music? Probably, since it's so flippin' repetitive... ... ...

Seriously listen to the woman singing. No particular skills in terms of range or strength, and also no particular voice. Sounds like a background vocalist given too much space.
I googled her and she's the vocalist of Lacuna Coil. No surprise there. A sad case of sex appeal and image over music I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
^--- You're dead right.

If only Ayreon could drop the whole opera thing and have someone besides himself handling the lyrics one day. That or go totally instrumental. His lyrics drive me insane 'cause they're usually about characters painstakingly explaining what they're doing or feeling at a given moment, so it feels like there's nothing beyond the surface. It's like being spoon-fed.

Yes, I think the biggest problem is that Arjen never evolved Ayreon's style in any meaningful way. At some point it just starts to sound like a parody of itself.

I like the OSI song. The programmed beat thing is kind of asmry.

I'd never listened to Ayreon until recently. My friend's a fan and recommended I listen to 01011001 (or whatever the fuck it's called), saying it was their best. It bored the hell out of me. No energy, no captivating or interesting musicianship to speak of, and even awesome singers like Jorn and Hansi can't save the incredibly dull songwriting. Everything blurs together, and drags on for so long. Even Romeo's guest solo sounds completely uninspired. I don't really get what people see in the band.

I didn't really enjoy 00110101 or whatever the hell it's called either, but Universal Migrator is an absolute classic and The Human Equation was solid too. Definitely check those two out before you write Arjen's music off. Ayreon is still worthy of a blind purchase from me because of them.

Seriously listen to the woman singing. No particular skills in terms of range or strength, and also no particular voice. Sounds like a background vocalist given too much space.
I googled her and she's the vocalist of Lacuna Coil. No surprise there. A sad case of sex appeal and image over music I'm afraid.

Damn, some prog fans are so out of touch. Lol. Cristina's voice is pretty distinctive. And how are you gonna admit to having to google the woman and then turn around and make such denouncement as if you're actually familiar with her and Lacuna Coil's music? Come on, man.

Anyway, I like what I heard in that track much better than the over-dramatic operatic performances that a lot of these albums end up being full of.

Matheos isn't about riffs, he's about songwriting and arrangements. Always has been.

Well, I agree. That's true for everything he's done in the past, but I find this record to be very guitar-driven and riff-driven. It all sounds like it was written by a guitarist for a guitarist with the other stuff thrown in as an afterthought. The songwriting is just not there for me. There are very few moments where the melody or lyrical content is what's carrying the song. Listen to APSOG for Christ's sake - or even something comparatively simple like "Life in Still Water". The guitar work still manages to be appealing for the listener (with a far better guitar solo than anything on DIADL btw), but the primary intent seems to be supporting the song. Emphasizing what the vocals are doing. Flawless transitions from section to section. All of the instruments working together perfectly. There's nothing remotely close to that on this album.

As far as being "forward-thinking," what do you think about Lighthouse and And Yet It Moves, for example? Both are pretty unconventional. Though I'm not as impressed with breaking conventions alone as I used to be...

"Lighthouse" is quite possibly the most boring Fates track (seriously threatening to dethrone "Afterglow") in their entire discog. It's like if you took the first verse part of "Something From Nothing" or "River Wide Ocean Deep", stripped away the electronic elements and just looped it over and over instead of letting it build and develop into something greater. I get that they were creating a certain vibe and trying to keep that mood throughout, but it's just not interesting to listen to.

"And Yet It Moves" is quality stuff. I don't feel that it's a masterpiece like their other longer pieces of the past, but it's a really good track. Definitely the most ambitious thing on there. Oh, the "falling, floating, feeling..." part melodically sounds more like something Redemption would do and I kinda don't like that part. Definitely an excellent song from when the strummed acoustic guitar comes in though.

First, the "radio metal complaint" is nonsense, because FWX was the closest to "radio metal" that FW ever did – the album was influenced by Deftones, which was a major influence on Ray Alder at the time, and he admitted as much, and also shows some Tool influences.

You sure you're not mixing things up? His Engine albums were definitely influenced by Deftones and similar nu/alt metal bands of that time. That's clear as day in everything from his vocal delivery and effects used to the guitar riffs. A little of that crept into the vocals on FWX (partly because his voice had changed from what it used to be by that point), but musically I hear nothing related to Deftones on that album. As far as Tool goes...sure, but not to the level that this new album has. They should've named the album Toolpeth. The amount of "influence" from those two bands is off the charts. They've always taken inspiration from other popular acts (you can clearly date any of the old records to its time period) and made pretty straightforward songs, but they always brought their own unique style to the music which is usually what made it progressive. However, with this record, it's like the progressive parts are what have been influenced by the current "radio metal" or popular "progressive metal" bands. It's not actual progressive music within the metal genre, but rather the popular style of music commonly referred to today as "progressive metal". The music just keeps rolling along steadily with their new "progressive metal" drummer.

I agree that Zonder's better, but Mark Zonder is Mark Zonder, what are you going to do...

Have Zonder play on the album, imo. That would be a solution. *sighs* Someone should force Jarzombek to play with a single bass drum. I'd pay to see that. Zonder plays a lot of busy intricate stuff, but it complements the song and is often only noticeable if you really pay attention. Jarzombek's playing is just distracting and irritating. A lot of the time it's not even anything creative or interesting, but it's just always there making every moment sound 10x heavier and more "metal" than it really is. The drumming just pisses me off overall. I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I can't get into these songs.

So the new album from Zonder's band Slavior is coming out soon...

Sounds better than the stuff from his first one at least...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, some prog fans are so out of touch. Lol. Cristina's voice is pretty distinctive. And how are you gonna admit to having to google the woman and then turn around and make such denouncement as if you're actually familiar with her and Lacuna Coil's music? Come on, man.

I know them, I didn't know her. I know they're a shitty italian band like pretty much all metal from italy. I know from listening to the excerpt that she's not a talented vocalist.

If her voice is distinctive, it's distinctive in the same way Eilert Pilarm is distinctive.

Also, this speaks volumes:
https://www.google.se/search?q=lacu...q4HQCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1338&bih=947

The new Ulver is really good, by the way.

If we are talking about Ayreon, I first heard them with The Human Equation, and I think it was actually a fairly important album for me in terms widening my musical horizons. I was about 14 years old, so makes sense. I also enjoyed some of the prior Ayreon and the first Star One album, but the binary album was just hugely disappointing. I kind of hated it, actually. Then the second Star One I couldn't even listen to. So I don't know, either Arjen lost it, or I grew out of it and can only listen to The Human Equation because of some nostalgia connection. Actually, If I do listen to it, I don't really listen to it as a full album anyway, but for the few particular amazing vocal performances and the highlight pieces of music.

Doing a kind of a side-by-side comparison with his earlier albums against the binary album and the new one might be an interesting experiment and show what went wrong. I'll think about it.

The weird thing is that the general opinion seems the same for all his albums, if I look at reviews and that. So maybe it's just me. Yeah... Or maybe Arjen was always just a hack.

The new Ulver is awesome, and I agree with EVERYTHING AsoTamaki posted.

The Human Equation is a fuckin musical. It's horrible lyrically, and even worse for arrangement. The only saving moment (and it's a brief one) is "Pain".

I enjoy Ayreon's first and second album, and I think the third (Electric Castle) actually is pretty great. Everything after that is not worth my time. I'll be checking out the new album solely because of Tommy Karevik.

I love Ayreon. Granted, the lyrics are not always very good, but if you don't pay much attention to the lyriccs I don't find it bothering at all 95% of the time. Ayreon offers so much more. I'd take Into the Electric Castle's instrumentals over Symphony X's finest moments anytime. Isis and Osiris (second movement) has one of the finest riffs ever. And frankly, I enjoy the whole story. Don't take it too seriously, because it's not intended for that purpose. It's just plain fun.

01 is definitely one of the lesser albums, but it still has some memorable moments: The Fifth Extinction, the last four minutes of The Sixth Extinction (fucking divine) and also the VERY underrated Waking Dreams. Talking of underrated... Actual Fantasy tends to get overlooked as a whole, but it contains some seriously cool songs. Computer Eyes, Beyond the Horizon (original version), Back on Planet Earth... All underrated. And The Abbey of Synn is a top 5 song for me. Perfection!

Lastly, a shorter praise: Ayreon is a classic synth paradise.