36 CRAZYFISTS

Brett - K A L I S I A

Dreaded Moderator
Feb 26, 2004
France
www.towerstudio.net
Please post all questions, comments & anything related to this artist here.

Snow Capped Romance

36crazy_snow.jpg

I've had this on in the office all morning.....am addicted to this snare sound now. Great band...they're here in April so will be checking 'em out.

The only thing interesting I know about the cd is that during recording the drummer hit (and broke) the mic on the China, so they did some sound replacing on that. I guess old drummer boy also made a big stink about Andy using samples on his snare, so obviously theres none of that going on. What confuses me is their new album doesn't have a 100% natural snare. Oh well.

Also, I'd have to say that ASCR is one of my (if not most) favorite Sneap mixes. Good job buddy!

Steve Holt uses a Bogner Uberschall in the studio. Don't know if Andy re-amped it or not though

I'm not sure about his ;)
it definitely a very good mix, just doesn't fit my personal taste as much as most other Sneap-Mixes...but that's just taste and shows Andy's versatility....really good mix though (from a less subjective point of view).

Fuck! I bought this CD the day it came out and I lost it before I put it on my computer. Now I can't bear to buy it knowing it's somewhere in my house.:erk:

I bought this cd back in high school when doing anything related to audio was the farthest thought in my mind. It was the first cd I remember distinctly listening to and saying "holy fuck those drums sound 1000 times better than pretty much anything i've ever heard (at the time.)" I knew James Wisner recorded and produced it close by in orlando so I attributed it to his awesomeness (newb) and decided there and then that i would record with him one day haha. Then a few years later I stumble on this forum when i really started getting into audio and specifically andy's style and I found out that andy had mixed it, it was a combination lol/facepalm moment. As soon as I got into sneap's work i should have immediately made the connection that no one else can get drum sounds like that therefor it must have been him haha

Are you referring to the tide and it's takers?
Hmm I don't like it either but I don't hate it as well
Andy did this one as well

Yes i'm referring to "the tide and its takers".
Now with some hindsight I'd be more moderate and saying "the tone is good but i don't like it much (comes down to personal tastes)" :)

I remember reading something about those guitars on this forum. Not sure Andy did it. Use the search function, it's out there.

Yes i'm referring to "the tide and its takers".
Now with some hindsight I'd be more moderate and saying "the tone is good but i don't like it much (comes down to personal tastes)" :)

and your point is?

nothing :)

i've just learnt to make the difference between "bad tone" and "good tone that i don't like much", that's it, mainly due to this forum

I haven't heard the newest one but I loved SCR. I'll have to pick up the newest one today. I really dig the use of the rotary/tremolo/phaser? sound in spots.

I also LOVE the snare sound on 'A Snow Capped Romance'. It's really hard to nail that quality natural snare, tight 'chock' sound :headbang: without it becoming too thin and loosing it's 'fattness'. I think one of the main reasons for it sounding so nice is I think (pretty sure) the drummer used an Orange County snare, and they are totally awesome snares, really cut through the mix. Another example is slipknot's iowa (mixed by andy wallace). You can hear that nice OCDP signature 'woody' resonance to it. That snare sounds a bit more high pitched though because it's a 12x7" if I recall correctly.

I also LOVE the snare sound on 'A Snow Capped Romance'. It's really hard to nail that quality natural snare, tight 'chock' sound :headbang: without it becoming too thin and loosing it's 'fattness'. I think one of the main reasons for it sounding so nice is I think (pretty sure) the drummer used an Orange County snare, and they are totally awesome snares, really cut through the mix. Another example is slipknot's iowa (mixed by andy wallace)

+1